Two times to maintain, Three times to get better...

almost 35. White belt with 1 month in. Train 2x per day 3x a week. My joints hate me, but attendance is key especially since I don't plan on competing. At my age and the risk of getting injured could be catastrophic to my job. So for me, I just give 110% every time I show up. Roll even steven with fellow whites, and try to give the upper belts a run for there money, mostly resulting in failure. But that's ok. I roll to learn, not to win

I have seen people train very hard for 2-3 years and then stop completely.

Also a lot of guys say that they are training 3-4 times a week, but if you count their yearly attendance (holidays, being sick etc.), it is much much lower. For a hobbyist white/blue/purple, 3 x week every week is more than enough to improve.

Just turned 50. I train 6/7 days a week. Living less than 10 minutes from 2 gyms really helps. Family barely even knows you left when you are only gone 2 hours.

Just turned 50. I train 6/7 days a week. Living less than 10 minutes from 2 gyms really helps. Family barely even knows you left when you are only gone 2 hours.

But hard rolling will put you out of commission for several hours after you leave the gym.

What does it count as if you do BJJ 1-2x a week and judo 2x a week?

Halfass maintenance?
I train a cumulative 20 hours a week on average in BJJ, Judo and freestyle wrestling - my teammates joke that I live in the gym and people notice when I miss a class. I rarely see my friends outside of BJJ, I don't date any more, I have turned down jobs that interfere with my training schedule and work/study part-time around day classes. I wouldn't have it any other way and I've honestly lost 99% of my interest in things like girlfriends, drinking, partying, et cetera since getting very serious about Jiu-jitsu. Jiu-jitsu is my no.1 priority; everything else is secondary.

Whoa whoa whoa...

BJJ beats out judo to you? Scissor sweep beats out osoto?

My entire world view is shattered.

Last edited:
When i complained at my judo coach about training like crazy and injuries and life he told me this

"We arent doing judo here, the way we train doesnt follows the principles of improvement, its unhealthy and completely abnormal. But then again being a world champion is an abnormality"

One must understand the different between training and practice, practice is something you do out of enjoyment and as hobby, training is doing something with an ulterior purpose, the purpose will define the training.

There is no way around it, training to be a champ its going to be bad for 99.9% of the population and there is nothing wrong with that.

[YT]3j0_OOrpIZY[/YT]

Im ok with practicing, i have a job and a wife and other minor interests, im not training to be a world champ, i admire those that sacrifice everything, but its not for me.

Why am I not surprised that you view women in this hyper-misogynistic way?

The hilarious thing is that while you might be white knighting this, I have known plenty of women who have openly and honestly told me that is how they feel about their boyfriends.

They're not in it for the long haul. "girls just wanna have fun=D"

It's not misogynistic, it's the same on both sides. It may be shallow as fuck, but it's not misogynistic.

I train 5-6 times per week (~7-10 hours) plus another 4-5 sessions of boxing/ kickboxing, and see significant, rapid improvement. I'm pretty new, though (~13 months in), so I'm pretty far to the left of the learning curve. When I begin to feel mentally or physically exhausted or am injured, I dial it back to 1-2 sessions per week and still see some progress.

I think Holt hit the nail on the head earlier in the tread- it's really individualistic and all of us need to find that sweet spot of maximizing improvement versus overtraining or sabotaging other life commitments.

FWIW- I enjoy the "life coaching" discussions that develop frequently. Seeing the interactions between the naive stupidity of youth versus the realistic cynical wisdom of advanced age is endlessly entertaining.

My contribution to that discussion- it's entirely possible to chase the "bjj dream" if you understand the realities of life. I could train even more than I already do if I could handle it physically, but I'm at my own "sweet spot." I can do what I do despite having a wife and three kids and being somewhat old for a grappler (38.)

How?

I set up my life to pursue that which interests me... and bjj/mma is my current interest. My wife and I both have graduate degrees and a wide range of practical, marketable skills across multiple disciplines. We formerly held typical white collar jobs and had a "normal" suburban lifestyle. We decided it wasn't for us, craved adventure, wanted our kids to see the diversity of our country, and quit. We were able to do that because we both had the desire and the skill set to make decent money. We spent a few years traveling around the US with our kids making a living off barefoot running and ultrarunning (another sport where full-time "professionals" barely earn enough to afford ramen.)

We eventually settled in So. Cal. mostly because we fell in love with our gym and training (my wife started first.) Now we train together three times per week and treat it as a date. I make most of my income writing books, but have a few other minor, diverse income streams. We're not rich, but make enough to continually pad our savings and retirement funds. We spend tons of time together, I spend enough time with my kids to be relieved when they go to school/daycare, and I have enough free time to dick around with things like f12.

For me, bjj and mma is an interesting learning experience. I'm too old to dream of anything resembling a world champion, but I do train often and compete because the process of learning and improving is enjoyable. I'm entertaining the possibility of at least one amateur fight just to experience it. I'd like to teach this stuff some day, which is a major motivator to learn as quickly as I can. That may involve opening our own gym, but we have extensive business experience and have worked in many facets of the fitness industry for years.

My long-winded point- if you're really serious about making bjj your life, take the advice offered by the more experienced folks. Don't rely on your mat skills to make a living. Go to college, learn a trade, develop income streams unrelated to bjj... whatever. I strongly believe everyone should follow their passion and surround themselves with supportive people that will foster that passion. That life doesn't automatically happen, though. You have to build it.

i love bjj and train 2-4 times a week. However, make no mistake about it my career and relationships are my top priorities. As a 23 year old making bank, I enjoy going out and drinking with friends and meeting woman more than training on a saturday night.

so I treat bjj as my competitive outlet.

Back