Two sets of gloves for Muay Thai?

Kid Liquid

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I recently purchased some Fairtex 16oz gloves for sparring (as recommended by a good boxer friend of mine).

My question is should I also get a smaller set of gloves (14 or 12 oz) for bag/mitt work, as the 16's do seem a bit big and bulky for these activities at times. Or is it better to train with the 16s for everything?

I was also thinking of making the 2nd pair a set of boxing gloves rather than MT specific gloves, in case I ever decide to cross train a bit with a pure boxing coach.

Thoughts appreciated in advance.

Using sparring gloves on the bag/mitts will wear them down much quicker and sparring partners will not appreciate it.

Everyone is different.

I started Muay Thai with 10oz gloves for bagwork/mitts and 16oz for sparring.

Now I use 14oz Fairtex for bagwork/mitts and still 16oz for sparring.

Keep the 16oz just for sparring, don't rough them up on bags,etc.

I think a lot depends on what you're going to fight wearing, I think. I'm a fan of sparring in the size of gloves that I fight in, to get used to blocking and fitting them in and through my opponents defense.

heavier gloves are better for conditioning imo, muscles fatigue quicker. smaller gloves give you less to ''hide'' behind when you're being punched, helps with your footwork and head movement.

I think a lot depends on what you're going to fight wearing, I think. I'm a fan of sparring in the size of gloves that I fight in, to get used to blocking and fitting them in and through my opponents defense.

heavier gloves are better for conditioning imo, muscles fatigue quicker. smaller gloves give you less to ''hide'' behind when you're being punched, helps with your footwork and head movement.

for me muay thai is part of a composite MMA training schedule.

Yes, if you can afford it. I started with a pair of Twins 16 oz that I used for everything. Now I have 16 oz Boon gloves for sparring and I use the Boon bag gloves for everything else:

Boon Sport Muay Thai Fight Gear

Yes it's good to save sparring gloves for sparring so the padding doesn't get broken down. Lighter gloves for bag and pad work will help keep you from fatigue. While some people say use heavy gloves for pads/bags cause it makes your arms stronger, it also fucks up your technique when you get tired. If you want to make your arms stronger, lift weights. The traditional bag gloves without wrist support like these Boon will also make your wrist stronger and technique better because if you get lazy you'll fuck up your wrists.

If you can 12oz are the best size, you'll save you sparring gloves and protect your hand as well. It always me when I see guys using mma or old school bag gloves to do heavy bag work, even with a proper hand wrap an injury could occur, which means time off from training.

If you can 12oz are the best size, you'll save you sparring gloves and protect your hand as well. It always me when I see guys using mma or old school bag gloves to do heavy bag work, even with a proper hand wrap an injury could occur, which means time off from training.

It is really up to person preference for the weight. My girlfriend has 10oz Boon training gloves, her brother has 12oz, and I have 14oz. The 10oz's feel the best for focus mitt/thai pads, however, the 14 feel the best on a bag (my schools thai bags are very solid)

I totally agree with you on not using "traditional bag gloves" or mma gloves on the heavy bag. I wore someone's Rival Mexican Style bag gloves and i felt like I was one tired/lazy punch away from breaking my thumb, especially on the uppercut bag.

If you don't practice punching using proper bag gloves, not those balloons that are the modern bag gloves, you'll end up developing mitt hands when forming a fist.

These are proper bag gloves:

Boon-Bag-Gloves-BGB.jpg

You don't need wrist support in a glove; your handwraps should suffice

hmm, interesting explain further

wraps provide support for your wrist. If you are using proper technique you won't hurt your wrist. If you use proper bag gloves it will condition you to use proper technique so you won't get injured and it will strengthen and condition your wrists.

It is personal choice, however, it appears the most professional strikers in the states use super bag gloves on the heavy bag. What professional boxers use traditional bag gloves these days? In most boxing training reels you do not see traditional gloves, even Tyson's videos from the 90's. In fact, the only gym I have seen people use traditional bag gloves was Fairtex and I've never seen a person use them at AKA from 2002-2007ish

It is personal choice, however, it appears the most professional strikers in the states use super bag gloves on the heavy bag. What professional boxers use traditional bag gloves these days? In most boxing training reels you do not see traditional gloves, even Tyson's videos from the 90's. In fact, the only gym I have seen people use traditional bag gloves was Fairtex and I've never seen a person use them at AKA from 2002-2007ish

When I was in Thailand a few months ago all of the pro muay thai fighters used traditional bag gloves. Yes, boxers and mma fighters lean more toward super bag gloves it seems

10oz for pad/bagwork, 16oz for sparring,14oz a good all rounder.

Last edited:
I've gone through dozens of pairs of gloves and I've found that now I really only need 2 different sizes. I like a 16 for sparring and drill work and then 8oz bag gloves for pad/ bag work. I like the smaller gloves for the pad work cause it helps me feel the knuckles on the bag to make sure I'm punching properly. Also, they're great for clinching.

Dude I started with 16oz gloves because I knew I could use them for both pads and sparring.

However as time went by I realised how the added weight of the 16oz gloves was a hindrance. I purchased a pair of twins 10oz for pads. So much nicer to hit pads with.

Hvae 2 pairs dude!

I used to use 18 oz contneder sparring and 12 oz for bag work. This time around I stared with century mma gloves like 4 ounces(that I had) but not enough knuckle padding for the thai bag. Then I switched to using a pair of revgear 16 oz bag gloves I found in the gym, but they were too heavy and baloon like. Now I found a pair of title 10 or 12 oz gloves the seem to be a happy medium. Guess the debate still rages.

I don't really see the point of using 10-12 oz gloves anymore. I prefer just to use the 16oz for sparring and drill work. I'm a big fan of using 8oz gloves for padwork or bad work. It's really helped me get my knuckles into the punch which in turn lets me generate more power.

Most of the guys/gals at my gym who are too poor/cannot be bothered to get their second pair of gloves use 12oz or 14oz (depending on their weight) Fairtex BGV1.

Personally, I have 10oz TGT7 Fairtex traditional bag gloves and 14oz Top King Airs for sparring. So far so good.

I'm sure your training partners appreciate it.

I love it when a heavyweight comes into spar with us wearing 10z gloves because he "needs to get used to them".

Back