Two questions - body composition and over training

Ilk

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hey there. I ve got two questions.

I know it is a big turn off in sherdog to talk about aesthetics and hypertrophy but this seems like the place people know what.they are talking about.

I found out my lower body is way bigger than my upper body. Like way bigger. It is probably genetics as my mother has a huge lower body too. But I also have spend close to 10 years playing soccer iin a soccer academy as a kid and teen and the sport has always been in my life. I used to play last year amateur soccer too and still this year I am playing with amateurs.

I lift mainly for good looks and health although I have found myself doing more in the 5-6 rep range with 80 + percents of my 1RM, as I feel very weak too.

Anyway what would you guys suggest to get more bulk in the upper body? I do not want to abandon squats and DLs as I love these.

Second problem. I experienced something very nasty last week. I have had 2 soccer games at Monday and Wednesday and Thursday I played with friends a 5+1 game. I also lifted every day. At Thursday evening I Think my nervous system colapsed. It started with shin pain like in shin splints. Quickly transfered to ankle, knees and lower back. My muscles were feeling okay but my bones were like going to break. I spend the last 30 mins goalkeeping as I could not really run due.to pain. And for the.first time in my life I was afraid from powerful shots. I am pretty fearless when I play soccer, but this time I was just afraid something is going to happen to me.

Friday I had no energy. Just stayed in the bed and was eating. Saturday and Sunday rested too with low energy.

The last two days I have been lifting. However while my muscles feel very fresh and I even increased numbers in chin ups and dips I can still feel that bone tiredness and that something is happening with my CNS.

I know it is a big turn off in sherdog to talk about aesthetics and hypertrophy but this seems like the place people know what.they are talking about.

I found out my lower body is way bigger than my upper body. Like way bigger. It is probably genetics as my mother has a huge lower body too. But I also have spend close to 10 years playing soccer iin a soccer academy as a kid and teen and the sport has always been in my life. I used to play last year amateur soccer too and still this year I am playing with amateurs.

I lift mainly for good looks and health although I have found myself doing more in the 5-6 rep range with 80 + percents of my 1RM, as I feel very weak too.

Anyway what would you guys suggest to get more bulk in the upper body? I do not want to abandon squats and DLs as I love these.

Second problem. I experienced something very nasty last week. I have had 2 soccer games at Monday and Wednesday and Thursday I played with friends a 5+1 game. I also lifted every day. At Thursday evening I Think my nervous system colapsed. It started with shin pain like in shin splints. Quickly transfered to ankle, knees and lower back. My muscles were feeling okay but my bones were like going to break. I spend the last 30 mins goalkeeping as I could not really run due.to pain. And for the.first time in my life I was afraid from powerful shots. I am pretty fearless when I play soccer, but this time I was just afraid something is going to happen to me.

Friday I had no energy. Just stayed in the bed and was eating. Saturday and Sunday rested too with low energy.

The last two days I have been lifting. However while my muscles feel very fresh and I even increased numbers in chin ups and dips I can still feel that bone tiredness and that something is happening with my CNS.

Just stick to the routine as normal, unless you're really at that point where you're able to compete on stage, there's no need to address lagging issues

Adjust your calories for your activity level. Its normal to eat at maintenance, but increase your activity level and without realizing it, you've put yourself in a deficit

As for the pain shooting down your leg, does it feel like nerve pain or bone? If its nerve and its something like it starts from the knee, then 2 seconds later it moves to your foot, and then something else. It's possible you have a tear. I don't think it is, but I have had something very similar earlier this year, luckily it wasn't a MCL tear or anything. Took me about a month of recovery to get back to the swing of things.

bigger lower body is alpha mate. Huge legs for the win!

Squats should help with the development of the upper body as well. When I squat (heavy) I notice an increase in my quads, hammys, glutes etc but I also notice my frame appears wider. My posture looks better. Now what is really going on I have not studied but this is an observation I've had.

I look wide at the shoulders when standing in the anatomical position, however, I am very narrow when standing sideways. My body fat % is low, I had it measured in a university lab and it was calculated at 6.7%. Therefore the appearance of being muscular is greater on my frame.

I know you also box, so things I would suggest giving a try are the dip and pull up variations for your upper body. Wide grip pullups, and towel pullups are a staple of mine.

As far as what you're feeling, if you can, I would get a X ray. That is my personal take at the moment.

Tnx for the replays. I will perhaps still Squat and DL as it really feels alfa when you get to these 2 with heavy weight and I can see the benefits of these 2 lifts big.time. Perhaps I ll lower the assistance work to lunges only.

I saw my GP. He said it is a CNS over training and perhaps shins splints. He was amazed how often I train and did not recognise me at first haha. I used to be a fat guy. He did a cardiac check for some reason and checked.my breathing and it was all fine.

But mostly explained as I am more muscular and.athletic than before it takes time for my body to recover and that my frequency is not healthy. Suggested I get vit D and B12 suplements judging by my skin. Suggested blood work but atm my finances are not stable for one.

tl;dr: More volume= more mass.
And: If you find yourself thinking about overtraining, you are overtrained. If you aren't overtrained, you won't think about it, in my experience.

So basically more upper body sets or volume than lower body ones. Will eventually help me my upperbody reach the size of the lower body. Sounds reasonable.

So basically more upper body sets or volume than lower body ones. Will eventually help me my upperbody reach the size of the lower body. Sounds reasonable.

for hypertrophy:
bench, dips, press, row, pull up, maybe dumbbell curl & press
3 to 5 sets of 8 to 12 reps.
deadlift and squat with lower reps. maybe 5x5.
follow a sound progression until it stalls. then think again.
there is no rocket science about this.
don't change routines every fortnight. that's all for a novice/intermdiate.
work out, eat, sleep and meditate.

enjoy life...

Last edited:
Back