Two part question BJJ school vs. school and BJJ/Wrestling.

Maxtrong

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Alright, firstly, let me apologize if this is the wrong place to post this.

Now, I have just started BJJ and I like the place, but the main instructor is strictly no-drill. He says he believes in showing the technique, then letting us free roll.
This other place is mostly technique and drilling with free rolling at a different time/day.

The first question is; how important is drilling? Am I actually going to learn anything by just rolling?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part two of the questions:

I have found a new wrestling program that just started and am interested in it. Would it be of any benefit to do it and take BJJ a couple times a week along with it? Maybe do wrestling and do drop in BJJ? I'm particularly interested in Greco-Roman season.

Random add-on question: would wrestling benefit me at all in a grappling comp, like say, NAGA? I see that it has the word grappling in it, but I see pretty much just BJJ guys going to it.

So let me get this straight. You have two different schools. One doesn't drill at all and just shows techniques then you free roll? You guys don't practice these techniques on each other with little to no resistance?

The second school only does techniques and you guys never roll? I have never heard of such a thing. A combination of both is what always works best.

As you your wrestling question. If you have the opportunity to wrestle for high school or whatever, I would do it. It's grappling and it will help you with your grappling life cycle.

As to your bjj school. I would look for a third option where it is a good mixture of both drilling and rolling.

So let me get this straight. You have two different schools. One doesn't drill at all and just shows techniques then you free roll? You guys don't practice these techniques on each other with little to no resistance?

The second school only does techniques and you guys never roll? I have never heard of such a thing. A combination of both is what always works best.

As you your wrestling question. If you have the opportunity to wrestle for high school or whatever, I would do it. It's grappling and it will help you with your grappling life cycle.

As to your bjj school. I would look for a third option where it is a good mixture of both drilling and rolling.

No no, I'm only at the school that doesn't drill, right now. The other school I dropped in on tonight and has a class for just drilling, then does free rolls on a different day/days, so it does have both, but I believe the rolling is one time, maybe two per week.

Hell, just typing it out again kind of seems stupid that I'd even ask. If drilling is important, I'd better go to the school that does it. I'll definitely be wrestling, too. Thanks.

Rolling is more important than drilling if you are not that good.

If you are already good, then drilling might be better than just wasting your entire time rolling.

Situational rolling is a good tool to implement the topic of the class.

If you jump in a drilling class only, I suspect that this particular gym has a good competition team.

Now about cross training in wrestling. It really up to you and if the BJJ gym does not offer any form of takedown techniques and sparring. Well, you would not have a choice really.

It depends on the TYPE of drilling. As much as everything else

It depends on the TYPE of drilling. As much as everything else

The school does no drilling, but I thought it was important to drill the moves that were shown.
The instructor said he doesn't believe in it, because if you're getting in a fight on the street, your opponent isn't just going to let you kimura him, like a drilling partner would.

Is the drilling live or is it just hundreds of static reps? Static reps are really only good for learning the movement, but won't make you good at hitting it on a resisting opponent. After learning the movement (maybe 10-20 good reps) you need to drill with light resistance to learn the timing and pressure needed to actually hit a move on someone live.

Greco in particular is a phenomenal way to become the guy nobody wants to tie up with.

No no, I'm only at the school that doesn't drill, right now. The other school I dropped in on tonight and has a class for just drilling, then does free rolls on a different day/days, so it does have both, but I believe the rolling is one time, maybe two per week.

Hell, just typing it out again kind of seems stupid that I'd even ask. If drilling is important, I'd better go to the school that does it. I'll definitely be wrestling, too. Thanks.

I'd say you figured out the right answer for yourself.

Back