Twins Shin Guards SGL-2 or SGL-3?

AloisiusMontana

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey, Im looking to buy some shin guards and im deciding between the Twins SGL-2 or SGL-3.

Ive heard the strap on the SGL-3 is better and it is also lighter, but is the padding alot less than the SGL-2??

Also what other differences are there? I will be using these shin guards for both light and hard sparring.

Thanks...

People keep saying SGL-3. They're probably fine for you, but I don't know how they'd feel for you partner.

I own a pair of the SGL-3 and they're are very light which is great for mobility. Also I've only had them slip on me once during a hundred or so sessions with them. The only downside is that they are not that well padded and you will feel some of the impact when checking kicks.

I own a pair of the SGL-3 and they're are very light which is great for mobility. Also I've only had them slip on me once during a hundred or so sessions with them. The only downside is that they are not that well padded and you will feel some of the impact when checking kicks.

hmm...are they noticeably thinner than the standard shin guards then? and would the impact be alot more because i spar with the standard shin guards and u hardly feel anything wen checking kicks..

Im really not sure which ones to get because I am not that advance and my shins arent that tough i dont think, but my instructor thinks im ready for my first fight soon with shin guards so I also want something which is light....

but thanks for ur comments..

the sgl-3s are 1/2 inch thinner than the sgl-2s. they are also considerably lighter. ive always felt the sgl-2s are a generic shin pad and not much thought went into the design and ergonomics of it. i feel it's a very bulky shin pad whereas the sgl-3s are more streamline. they also use a hook and loop closure so you get a more secure fit when compared to the sgl-2s. you might also want to have a look at the Top King shin pads.

hmm...are they noticeably thinner than the standard shin guards then? and would the impact be alot more because i spar with the standard shin guards and u hardly feel anything wen checking kicks..

Im really not sure which ones to get because I am not that advance and my shins arent that tough i dont think, but my instructor thinks im ready for my first fight soon with shin guards so I also want something which is light....

but thanks for ur comments..

Personally I like feeling the impact of the kicks because it makes me feel like I'm toughing up my shins lol, but it's definitely bareable. I've been kicked relatively hard and they do absorb a majority of the impact but your shins might be slightly bruised after some heavy sparring.

I love the SGL-2. They are full size shins padding wise. It allows me to kick relatively full strength and not hurt my partner. The instep also fits larger over your toes. Although, I'm not a huge van of the velcro closure. It's not make or break, but personal preference more than anything.

Good info! Is there a price difference?

I love the SGL-2. They are full size shins padding wise. It allows me to kick relatively full strength and not hurt my partner. The instep also fits larger over your toes. Although, I'm not a huge van of the velcro closure. It's not make or break, but personal preference more than anything.

I like mine also and have had them forever and are still going strong. Mine have the hook n loop straps and are always pretty secure

I bougth a pair of SGL-2s from a street vendor in Pattaya in 2008 and they are still going strong with no issues. Great pair of Shin pads very protective and obviously very durable.

Back