TWIN PEAKS Revival Discussion

I like the melodrama of much of Lynch's work including Twin Peaks, but I'm not surprised or disappointed in the direction so far.

Coop clearly remembered he loves coffee. That seems to be the only thing from his life that's he's remembered or recognized, he didn't even know how to take a piss, he's like a newborn in an adult body practically after taking on physical form for the first time in 25 years. I wonder how much the coffee jogged his memory, did he fully snap back or just remember that he likes coffee?

I like the melodrama of much of Lynch's work including Twin Peaks, but I'm not surprised or disappointed in the direction so far.

Coop clearly remembered he loves coffee. That seems to be the only thing from his life that's he's remembered or recognized, he didn't even know how to take a piss, he's like a newborn in an adult body practically after taking on physical form for the first time in 25 years. I wonder how much the coffee jogged his memory, did he fully snap back or just remember that he likes coffee?
The Coop thing went on for 2 episodes basically. Feeling confident the coffee completely snapped him back, and honestly its perfect in a Twin Peaks/Lynch whack hilarious way. I was rooting for it the moment he sat down for breakfast.

Dunno why but I got a kick out of every time Cooper yelled "Helloooooo!" at the slot machines.

The kid being somewhat aware of the weird situation and helping out Coop was reminiscent of the old caretaker in the original. The thumbs up was perfect, and of course the coffee at the end. Hopefully that will be the spark to seeing a near fully competent Coop back by the end of next episode, it would be garbage if they drag that out for several episodes.

twin-peaks-thumb-1.jpg

tenor.gif

Way too slow.

Twin Peaks worked because the mysticism and David Lynch "spookiness" was sporadic and grounded in the serialized nature and realism of the show.

4 Episodes in it seems the show is 60% black lodge nihilistic lunacy.

Coop's dreams and visions had weight and resonance in the first 2 seasons because they didn't occur like clockwork.

I avoided every post in this thread to avoid spoilers, but I figure this would be the best place to ask my question.

I've read that the series on Showtime is a continuation of the first 2 seasons that aired in the 90s. (30 episodes). From people that have watched the series from the 90s and the first episode in 2017, is it required for me to go back and watch the first 30 episodes on Netflix before I start the Showtime series?

Please no spoilers in response to my question

I avoided every post in this thread to avoid spoilers, but I figure this would be the best place to ask my question.

I've read that the series on Showtime is a continuation of the first 2 seasons that aired in the 90s. (30 episodes). From people that have watched the series from the 90s and the first episode in 2017, is it required for me to go back and watch the first 30 episodes on Netflix before I start the Showtime series?

If you've got the time, you should, but you could get away with reading a synopsis, and watching Fire Walk With Me, if a 30 hour refresher doesn't appeal to you. .

Wow, this show sucks so far. It looks like it got interesting in the last 10 minutes so hopefully it stops sucking.
But Chad was killing it....only because Lucy and Andy have become beyond intolerable and very bad acting.

All the old people just seem tired.

Seriously, mid season 2 was better.

PS IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN FIRE WALK WITH ME YOU NEED TO SEE IT TO UNDERSTAND THE BLUE ROSE AND AGENT JEFFERIES. DO IT NOW!!!

pps These music acts have nothing on Julie Cruise.

I would say yes it is required to have watched the original series to know and care about what's going on in the new series.

I could do without Lucy and Andy...and Wally was cringeworthy. Hawk is doing alright, but what happened to the real Truman and the bookhouse boys?

I felt like the whole Dougie thing was too much like Rainman, but it is because Cooper got tricked into the wrong body and now he inhabits the same dimension as Evil Cooper. One of them has to die, and I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

Also felt like the Mulder in drag was unnecessary and I hope that was the first/last time for that.

I'm really disappointed so far. I feel like I'm watching a twin peaks parody

Episode 3 was almost pure surrealism, kind of like Lynch's The Grandmother short in that it wasn't as horror oriented as the first two episodes but still unsettling due to its' surreal nature. Episode four was hilarious. The Lucy and Andy bits make me want to see Lynch do an Adult Swim show.
Also Lynch knows how to pick his music, all three bands appearing were great, I wonder if he's still in contact with Julee Cruise.

No comments on tonight's episode?

I am starting to think that Cooper is not going to come back to himself until late into the series. I think evil Cooper still has a lot of screentime coming, and lmao at gold shit shovel, only $29.95

Amanda Seyfried's character seems to have some Laura Palmer qualities.

EDIT:

Also it was interesting that the Bob possessed version/half/whatever of Agent Cooper saw Bob as a separate entity in the part where he looked in the mirror, recalled the final episode of the original series and said he was making sure "you're still in there" when his face started to morph into Bob's (R.I.P. Frank Silva), like Bob brings out a dark doppleganger personality/side in the person and less so Bob him/itself and the person (even though Bob is the instigator and certainly "inside" therm). Kind of reminds me of the movie Session 9 where the Simon entity said he "lives in the weak and the wounded" and that they let him in, to where it doesn't completely absolve the person like a typical movie possession incident does, there's some dark side of them that Bob brings out and/or exacerbates. I know Twin Peaks works differently than say Session 9, but it seems like Lynch is trying to clear some things up, especially for people that found it a bit disappointing that they thought Leland was completely absolved of all possible guilt.
Maybe I'm just not remembering everything that they showed before though, I delayed myself on going back to the original series until this week, I didn't want to have the classic stuff in my mind and wanted to watch the beginning of the current series without any bias or expectations and just enjoy the experience (though I always end up just enjoying the ride on any Lynch effort), but now I want to make sure I'm not missing any references I may have forgotten.

Also loved the coffee scenes again with Agent Cooper, it was like watching a 4-5 year old drink a big glass of chocolate milk.

Last edited:
For those not aware, most of the stuff pertaining to what evil-Coop is involved with, along with the FBI investigation, all has to do with David Bowie's character "Agent Jeffries" from "Fire Walk With Me" and has been referenced several times already.

This character synopsis is pretty much everything you need to know...
http://twinpeaks.wikia.com/wiki/Phillip_Jeffries

His character last disappeared in Argentina and had some weird supernatural shit going on with him since he supposedly visited the Black Lodge... and I assume that's likely the person Evil-Coop was calling on the phone. If Lynch somehow filmed a Bowie cameo before he died, that would be FUCKING incredible.

Bowie's scene from FWWM

Extended version of scene where Bowie winds up in Argentina

I don't remember much from the original series nor the movie, but I'm watching it. I don't know all that much that is going on.

I thought Cooper would be back to normal after that first cup of coffee he had in 25 years.

Nope. Have another ENTIRE episode of Cooper shuffling around like an idiot while they cocktease us about his memory returning. Five episodes in already. Let's get the story moving already.

Back