TV Show Thread (Dark Crystal Prequel; The Witcher on Netflix; ABC, Fox's New Shows)

Status
Not open for further replies.
0_2b8881_ae66b67d_XL

THE MAGICIANS season 2 premiere

I don't know what it is about the show, but I just like it. I find the stories, the characters and their worlds interesting. The show feels like a twisted, darker version of Harry Potter and Narnia.

In the early episodes of season 1, I couldn't stand Quentin but he's been growing on me. By the later parts of season 1, I didn't find him annoying anymore. Penny on the other hand I do find annoying with his unwarranted attacks on Quentin.

Julia's storyline with the Beast is very intriguing. Eventually the Beast will have a soft spot for Julia.

Penny on the other hand I do find annoying with his unwarranted attacks on Quentin.
I hate them both, but for different reasons. I can't stand Penny either.

Part of the reason I hate Quentin is just his face. Uppercuts aren't good enough for him. He needs teh jab.

riverdale-poster-2-639x335.jpg

RIVERDALE season premiere

Wished it wasn't too dark and had a lighter tone. It's like Dawson's Creek meets Twin Peaks. Great casting on Betty and Veronica, who are also hot. Almost all the female cast are very attractive. Heck even their mothers are gorgeous (Madchen Amick, Marisol Nichols). Also wished they chose a prettier actress for Josie. On the plus side, her musical background is legit. While waiting for Twin Peaks revival, Riverdale will do for now.

Good for Cole Sprouse (who plays Jughead) who seems to have sprouted this past few years. I thought he and his twin brother would be afflicted with the child-actors-who-grow-up-to-become-short curse. The twins made their debut in Adam Sandler's Big Daddy and went on to star in Disney's The Suite Life and its sequel series.

The town of Riverdale is referred to as a small town and we see a lot of things that back that up, like the fact that everybody seems to know everybody, it only has the one high school, the kids’ hangout is a small malt shop straight out of the 50’s and all the limitations to the social life spelled out by the gay kid indicate some tiny place out in the boondocks.

But at the same time, the town is big enough to have a full size apartment building downtown with a full time doorman and enough new construction to keep Archie’s dad in business and Archie himself pouring concrete all summer. These things all indicate a more substantial town, even a small city.

So, am I reading that right? How big is Riverdale supposed to be?
Seems to be in contradiction with what the town represents. Oh well, don't think too much about it, after all it's The CW.

I don’t know how many of you watched the premiere of Riverdale last night, but for those of you who did and are from the US, I was hoping you could help me determine if a thing that I noticed is an inconsistency or not.

The town of Riverdale is referred to as a small town and we see a lot of things that back that up, like the fact that everybody seems to know everybody, it only has the one high school, the kids’ hangout is a small malt shop straight out of the 50’s and all the limitations to the social life spelled out by the gay kid indicate some tiny place out in the boondocks.

But at the same time, the town is big enough to have a full size apartment building downtown with a full time doorman and enough new construction to keep Archie’s dad in business and Archie himself pouring concrete all summer. These things all indicate a more substantial town, even a small city.

So, am I reading that right? How big is Riverdale supposed to be?

Sunnydale started out as a small town too. It eventually got an airport and university. The CW plays with towns like comic books play with strength ratings.

But it's possible they're trying to transition from small town to boutique rich community, so lots of new swanky construction.

Two episodes into this latest season of Black Mirror.

Is at least the third episode an original plot ? lol

Not saying they're not great, but:

Episode 1 was done by Community (an episode about, quite literally, an app where you rate people which determines your social status)
Episode 2 has been done by the movie eXistenZ (literally the whole VR inside of VR thing)

Like ... they could have done these ideas without doing not just the same fundamental idea but the same implementation of those ideas (not exact same, you know what I mean). Again, the eps have been great ... but I saw the exact plot of episode two in 1999.

INCORPORATED 2-hour season finale

Knew Ben was going to give his safe passage spot to his mentor. Laura seems to be toughening up and becoming a bit like her mother.

The plot where Theo reveals to the mob boss about Ben felt too forced.

All in all, a pretty good season one. I recommend this to anyone that likes sci-fi dystopian corporate espionage thrillers.

IncorporatedBB-678x381.jpg

INCORPORATED 2-hour season finale

Knew Ben was going to give his safe passage spot to his mentor. Laura seems to be toughening up and becoming a bit like her mother.

The plot where Theo reveals to the mob boss about Ben felt too forced.

All in all, a pretty good season one. I recommend this to anyone that likes sci-fi dystopian corporate espionage thrillers.

IncorporatedBB-678x381.jpg

Finishing this off tomorrow, have really enjoyed it thus far.

Two episodes into this latest season of Black Mirror.

Is at least the third episode an original plot ? lol

Not saying they're not great, but:

Episode 1 was done by Community (an episode about, quite literally, an app where you rate people which determines your social status)
Episode 2 has been done by the movie eXistenZ (literally the whole VR inside of VR thing)

Like ... they could have done these ideas without doing not just the same fundamental idea but the same implementation of those ideas (not exact same, you know what I mean). Again, the eps have been great ... but I saw the exact plot of episode two in 1999.

Well, based on the standard you're setting for originality no episode this season is original in message or theme. I may have to stretch to reach with a couple, but I've seen them all before.

That said, I think they were all very original in presentation and execution, and excellent viewing.

Well, based on the standard you're setting for originality no episode this season is original in message or theme. I may have to stretch to reach with a couple, but I've seen them all before.

That said, I think they were all very original in presentation and execution, and excellent viewing.

Yeah and, again, they were indeed great. And I'm not saying it's an inherent negative to not be completely original (what the hell ever is ?), just that it was pretty glaring in that one regard for these first two eps.

I was juuuust about to start watching iBoy, popped open Netflix, and saw the trailer for this little gem.

It starts 2/3, and I can't wait.

I was juuuust about to start watching iBoy, popped open Netflix, and saw the trailer for this little gem.

It starts 2/3, and I can't wait.

That looks AWESOME. I've really been looking forward to it.

I had to turn off the trailer, though, it was just non-stop short scenes from the show.

Can't wait until this starts.

Last edited:
I rewatched the season two opener for Fillory and Friends, to try to get a handle on what the fuck is going on. I think I'm finally understanding what's up.

I see where Tobago and DLX are coming from when they say that Quentin isn't that bad. I feel that getting a goddamn haircut would go a long way in suppressing my need to touch him with teh jab. As far as personality goes, he's a bit more tolerable so far now than he was in season one.

He's certainly better than Penny. Dude is just a dick. The second he started his holier than thou rant to the guy who just reattached his hands, I wanted to tell him...

That looks AWESOME. I've really been looking forward to it.

I had to turn off the trailer, though, it was just non-stop short scenes from the show.

Can't wait until this starts.
I know rite?

I rewatched the season two opener for Fillory and Friends, to try to get a handle on what the fuck is going on. I think I'm finally understanding what's up.

I see where Tobago and DLX are coming from when they say that Quentin isn't that bad. I feel that getting a goddamn haircut would go a long way in suppressing my need to touch him with teh jab. As far as personality goes, he's a bit more tolerable so far now than he was in season one.

He's certainly better than Penny. Dude is just a dick. The second he started his holier than thou rant to the guy who just reattached his hands, I wanted to tell him...

Aside from his socially-awkward behavior in the early episodes of season 1 of The Magicians, one of the main reasons why I didn't like Quentin was the way he treated Julia when she didn't get in the school.

I've eased up on my dislike for Quentin midway through season 1 since he wasn't as obnoxious as before. Plus in some ways, I kinda appreciated that they made this neurotic, socially-awkward geek as the main lead for the show. In any other shows out there, Quentin would just be the supporting character like Prime Fitz, Latino Fitz, I.T. Fitz and White Cisco.

4 episodes in and Taboo has been pretty meh.
I like Tom Hardy's Taboo but not really blown away like the rest of the posters are here. I couldn't relate when they started gushing that the first episode was "one of the best episodes" they've ever seen.

Aside from his socially-awkward behavior in the early episodes of season 1 of The Magicians, one of the main reasons why I didn't like Quentin was the way he treated Julia when she didn't get in the school.
Actually, I'm glad you brought that up.

That was the scene that made me go "fuck that guy..." Cheating on Alice didn't help.

I currently hate Penny more than Quentin, though. He's just an unashamed dick, and often for no real reason. He's apparently going to be some big shit later on down the road, but I'm glad that the dude who reattached his hands gave him a sizeable piece of humble pie.

I've eased up on my dislike for Quentin midway through season 1 since he wasn't as obnoxious as before. Plus in some ways, I kinda appreciated that they made this neurotic, socially-awkward geek as the main lead for the show. In any other shows out there, Quentin would just be the supporting character like Prime Fitz, Latino Fitz, I.T. Fitz and White Cisco.
Who is IT Fitz? White Cisco is Winn from Supergirl, right?

btw, at this point, Quentin is hardly the sole main character. Julia's basically had her own parallel main storyline almost from the getgo, Quentin's rarely in a scene without Alice also being present, and his current best friend (Elliott) is now the most powerful man in Fillory. I guess I'm able to tolerate him more now that the main focus of the show is no longer on him.

Last edited:
Actually, I'm glad you brought that up.

That was the scene that made me go "fuck that guy..." Cheating on Alice didn't help.

I currently hate Penny more than Quentin, though. He's just an unashamed dick, and often for no real reason. He's apparently going to be some big shit later on down the road, but I'm glad that the dude who reattached his hands gave him a sizeable piece of humble pie.
Yeah, Penny's an all-around dick. He was acting all humble and nice when he was roaming around Filory with his severed hands. But once his hands are reattached, he goes back to being an ungrateful douche.

Who is IT Fitz? White Cisco is Winn from Supergirl, right?

A refresher on the Fitzes of the multiverse:

I introduce to the world... "White Cisco."

GIF_daredevil_foggy_nelson.gif

Kree Membership Club

Fitz Prime
Cisco aka Latino Fitz
Foggy aka White Cisco
Winn aka I.T. Fitz

Yeah, Penny's an all-around dick. He was acting all humble and nice when he was roaming around Filory with his severed hands. But once his hands are reattached, he goes back to being an ungrateful douche.
There have only been two times when I've not hated Penny:
1. When Katy broke his heart.
2. When he shook his head at Quentin for his bullshit "ceremony" for crowning Elliott last episode.

A refresher on the Fitzes of the multiverse:
Ah.

Well, being that Fitz Prime has been getting some on the regular from Simmons, Latino Fitz (who I prefer to call Crisco ever since Dick Wells uttered that name) has gotten implied sex from Hawkgirl, Silver Banshee was letting Winn bang, and Foggy was getting some from the second hottest female on the DD (Elodie Yung's Elektra is clearly the first), I motion that they all be removed from the list of Kree, and Supergirl become the newest and sole member of the club.

Kreeptonian indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back