TV Show Thread (Full Emmy Winners, The Handmaid's Tale Wins Best Drama; True Lies Reboot) | Page 24

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Dragonlordxxxxx, May 22, 2017.

1. SidJustice Master of the world and the universe

SidJustice
    The original series was also terrible and failed in its actual run, so chances are pretty good this follows suit.

raty tat tat likes this.
  2. Fluffernutter Brown Belt

Fluffernutter

Believe it or not,
    we're rebooting this thing.
    It's on ABC, so it's free-ee-ee
    We're justing doing it on a dare.
    Who could it be?
    Believe it or not, it's Mindy

SidJustice and Dragonlordxxxxx like this.
  3. Loiosh Detective

Loiosh
    Sweet.

How will you be arranging delivery?

4. Loiosh Detective

Loiosh
    I tried watching The Beginning of Everything, thought it was pretty bad.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Dragonlordxxxxx likes this.
  5. Loiosh Detective

Loiosh
    It's a trend, and the market will decide if it's sustainable.

GearSolidMetal likes this.
  6. GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom.

GearSolidMetal
    Oh? What was the recent all-female show/movie that was hugely profitable and it's inspired other shows to copy-cat it?

7. Loiosh Detective

Loiosh
    All female? No idea. I don't select movies based on the naughty bits of the stars. I'll check Google.

Frozen had a female core cast and it made more than a billion dollars.

Hunger Games: Catching Fire made close to a billion, that was female driven, and it's seen a dozen imitations in the last few years.

I'm sure there are a ton because women like movies too.

I just don't understand what about a reboot with a female cast upsets you. Do you find the promotion offensive? Do you feel the reboots somehow spoil old movies that you loved? Do you think the creation of a movie you won't like means a possibly better movie didn't get made? (I've heard this one before, it makes sense in certain circumstances, especially reboots)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  8. 22k Haiku Expert

anyone watch "The Fall"?

not bad, but not super great. I could not for the life of me buy Gillian Anderson's accent.

the OST is great though - particularly during the final episodes.

9. GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom.

GearSolidMetal
    There's always been successful female-centered movies and TV shows. That's not the issue.

The issue is why is Hollywood/Network TV is trying to make the 'Remaking an old established property will an all-female cast' when is isn't a successful trend, and its doubtful it is going to be.

10. Loiosh Detective

Loiosh
    And yet you won't identify what the issue actually is.

When they reboot something, why shouldn't they shake up the cast? Why are white men so insecure?

11. GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom.

GearSolidMetal
    Um... have you been reading my posts? I'll spell it out for you.

Since last year's Ghostbusters, in which the female cast were like tranny versions of the original cast, Hollywood is very determined to make a 'successful' all-female anything.

They're going to fail with the all-female Lord of the Flies (can they possibly have come up with a worst narriative to femminize in which the entire point of the story is required that the whole cast be male?) and now they're moving onwards to new narriatives.

Your word choice is so cute. Insecure? Literally no one watching Hunger Games and Frozen ever said 'Someone with a penis needs more screentime.'

To which I ask, why do you see this spread of political ideology into casting director's offices is a good thing?

12. MikeMcMann Black Belt

MikeMcMann
    Its very weird and you won't get an honest answer on it.

It seems there is a real denial as to what Hollywood and other forms of media are about which is pandering and selling to an audience.

At one point that audience was almost all white males who held all the disposal income and made the vast majority of choice.

That meant the pandering went 100% their way and why countless movies and shows had ethnic characters white washed. It also why you saw shows where very normal or even geeky guys always ended up with the hot girl or wife (see sitcoms) and why almost every comic book gal made prime Pam Anderson look uncurvy.

it was shameless pandering to a very specific target audience and no one said shit about it.

Now that same pandering is trying to reach a broader audience as the 'buyers' demographics change and one group cries oceans of tears as a result. As Hollywood looks at where they take generally secondary characters in movies, etc the howl of protest erupts. And as they look at reboots knowing the same audience does not want to see their beloved first movie redone when it was done so well the first time, Hollywood tries to see if a skew to a different audience (women, ethics, etc) might be of appeal.

And again the same howling and tears erupt from the guys who would not want to see it remade for them but somehow get angry that it is remade for others.

13. Loiosh Detective

Loiosh
    My question has been since the start how this hurts you and why you're so mad. I've asked why shaking up the genders matters even a little. You haven't given me a single clear answer, only new ways of re-framing what they're doing or why they're doing it.

This doesn't matter to me at all. Most reboots are terrible, no matter how they cast them. The Ghostbusters reboot was much better than Ghostbusters 2, it's a shame it failed. I think that happened because the theme doesn't really resonate with women.

Why do you think this is political? They're investing hundreds of millions of dollars. Do you think the politics are more important than a great return on their dollars?

Somewhere a pitch happens. All I know about pitches is what I see in film and TV, so basically I know nothing, but I'm assuming when someone wants tens of millions of dollars, they have to convince someone it's going to make a profit. Common sense says that's all that matters. I know when I pitch a project at work I have to be damned convincing, and I've never pitched a hundred million dollar project (although I've pitched dozens of projects that had direct impact on a twenty million dollar a week revenue stream).

I sincerely think the gender swapping thing is happening because someone is convinced it's a profitable twist on an old property. I don't think (or have any reason to believe) politics have anything to do with it. It's a current trend, and if it fails, I think the market will stop making them happen.

In any case, this thread definitely isn't the place for this debate, so I'll close with that and leave the last statements to you.

14. Loiosh Detective

Loiosh
    The pre-release reactions to Ghostbusters were reprehensible.

HomerThompson likes this.
  15. GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom.

GearSolidMetal
    I'm not hurt or mad, its an annoyance.

I've given a clear answer on it, you're not accepting it as an answer.

In reguards to Ghostbusters, it was insulting to the original fanbase in the fact the actresses were dyke versions of the original characters and the overall quality of the film was shit.

Ghostbusters 2 > Ghostbusters 2016

It's obviously political, for those who pay attention to political trends in Hollywood.

And while the movie lost tens of millions of dollars ($80 Million was the last figure I heard, plus their advertising budget) Sony will write off the loss on the profits of other films.

That's the dirty secret on Hollywood films, whatever losses on unsuccessful films they don't have to pay in taxes on the profits of successful films.

Yeah, and whoever made the Ghostbuster 2016 pitch should be blacklisted from the industry after the $100 million (estimate) loss.

But, for some reason, its now being repeated for the Lord of the Flies film, and now Greatest American Hero.

And if they fail, even if it's not as big of a failure as Ghostbusters, it'll be said because people are still sexist.

And Ghostbusters's box office numbers must have been a swift kick in the balls to whoever thought that.

So... what other classic property can be remade with all-female casts?

Apocalypse Now?
    Saving Private Ryan?
    Braveheart?
    Gladiator?
    The Passion of the Christ?
    Thank you.

I think I've made my point, but if you'd like to continue this tag me in a War Room thread.

Loiosh likes this.
  16. MikeMcMann Black Belt

MikeMcMann
    Like Loiosh I don't want to hijack this thread but what you say above is one of the most understood and repeated statements I see on Sherdog.

Losses do not work that way. If the movie lost $80MM then they might recoup about 30%-50% based on Federal and State offsets of that as tax offset.

No one, and i mean no one at the studio, nor the films investors (as most films have secondary investors) are happy with a losing project.

17. Dragonlordxxxxx Senior Moderator

Dragonlordxxxxx
    Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg's THE BOYS Lands at Amazon, Gets a Script Order

[​IMG]

It looks like Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg will be bringing another fan-favorite comic to the small screen.The pair's adaptation of The Boys has officially received a script order from Amazon.

The hour-long pilot, which was initially headed to Cinemax, is set to be written by Supernatural and Timeless creator Eric Kripke.

According to Variety, the streaming service could end up giving The Boys a straight-to-series pickup, with Rogen and Goldberg set to serve as executive producers and directors.

The Boys is created by Preacher's Garth Ennis and Transmetropolitan's Darick Robertson. follows a CIA squad sent to keep a society of amoral, celebrity-like superheroes in check. The Dynamite Entertainment series ran for seventy-two issues, from 2006 to 2012.

Amazon Orders 'The Boys' Script From 'Supernatural,' 'Preacher' Creators

SidJustice likes this.
  18. Trumpisurdaddy Yellow Belt

Trumpisurdaddy
    This is false as they are more worried about the narrative they wanna push. They will keep making them, and no one will watch. But they will get credit for womanizing TV shows. Then they will blame society for not wanting to see unlimited "I am woman hear me roar" bullshit all day long. They can make a show and it fail but the get virtue signaling points in Hollywood, and thats almost as good as money.

19. Jesus X Silver Belt

Jesus X
    lol I didn't even know this show existed it had zero promotion.

20. Trumpisurdaddy Yellow Belt

Trumpisurdaddy
    Yes, and maybe you dont follow the world of politics, but Hollywood is just another arm of Liberal ideaology. Hollywood is all one big pat themselves on the back circlejerk for how progressive we can be. I know you have to have seen people complain about Tv shows where the woman is the savior of everything and the man is nothing but a giant pussy and dumbass. Now the action films where 110 pound women are badass, you talk about market, where was the clamoring for this bullshit. I don;t remember it and the "market sure hasn't supported it yet they still pump out Atomic blonde after atomic blonde.

How many female lead cop dramas do we need where they are the smartest and most badass of all the cops on the force? Jesus christ it is even in commercials, have you seen a car insurance commercial lately. Its always a man and a woman standing there and the woman is talking about how one little wreck caused their insurance to go up. As she looks at the man and he gets a sorry I'm a fuck up look on his face. Then of course every new "group " movie has to be the united nations, when in real life that shit don't happen (but of course a movie is not real life, so why am I throwing a big fit-- Gee I don't know why does anyone throw a big fit when not enough this or that is cast or not cast).

Gender swapping in and of itself might not be that big a thing but when you add all the other progressive bullshit with it, he just takes it over the top.