Turtling up and doing nothing is the same as tapping to strikes

No you are hoping your head clears so you can fight back / figuring out wtf is going on

There are different scenarios obviously. But for sure the more "standard" way to give up to strikes is to not respond but position yourself to not take punches. Also pretty common for fighters to give up limbs to get submitted because they've had enough. Maybe a bit more back in the day in the UFC and these days in lower promotions but it does happen.

I love this whole idea from guys like Frank Mir of all people going around that tapping to strikes is dishonourable.

They are the same thing. Yet one is accepted and the other is frowned upon. When you turtle up and "play dead" so the ref stops the fight you are quitting. It happens in almost half the TKOs in MMA. One guy gets a dominant position and punches the other guy who is hurt and instead of defending himself or fighting back he turtles up and waits for the ref to save him. The ref will say "fight back" and the guy will literally do nothing.

Look at almost any Michael Bisping TKO win. He doesn't knock them out. He makes them quit.

He won't be knocked out. He will just quit and wait for the ref to save him. It's almost as if it's the honourable way of tapping to strikes.
You and everyone who liked this is a fucktard.

“Play dead”

Damn you are stupid and clueless.

You and everyone who liked this is a fucktard.

“Play dead”

Damn you are stupid and clueless.

Lmao. GSP hating AV confirmed. You are telling me no one has ever just waited for the ref to save them by not fighting back?

<YeahOKJen>

Lesnar v Carwin.

Lesnar turtled up and Carwin gassed himself out throwing bombs.

Turtling is not the same as quitting.
Mir vs Carwin

UFC+111+St+Pierre+vs+Hardy+Eea6jCPOT6bm.jpg

Mir didn't quit? Had Carwin right where he wanted him, eh?

Covering up and blocking shots is not the same as turtling with zero ability to defend, flattened out on your stomach and making 0 attempt to get into a better position or defend.. Mir turtled in the photo above.

Mir vs Carwin

UFC+111+St+Pierre+vs+Hardy+Eea6jCPOT6bm.jpg

Mir didn't quit? Had Carwin right where he wanted him, eh?

Covering up and blocking shots is not the same as turtling with zero ability to defend, flattened out on your stomach and making 0 attempt to get into a better position or defend.. Mir turtled in the photo above.

Just because Mir was in a worse position and Lesnar was in a better one , doesn’t mean one is turtling and one isn’t. Whatever you call it in both examples neither Mir or Lesnar were moving and were just covering their heads blocking shots, making no attempts to move to a new position.

You can’t change the definition to suit your argument. Not moving and only blocking shots is turtling up. Obviously the time spent like this and the position varies massively to the extent where it could either be considered intelligently defending yourself or effectively giving up.

It’s dumb thought to say this is the same as tapping though because tapping is a definitive way out. Turtling up has to be judged on an individual basis. Some fighters may want a way out and others might not be physically able to move but want to continue fighting. Unless you’re psychic or it’s Bob Sapp level turtling you won’t be able to tell

I completely agree. Can't get out of a position you've been placed in and are taking shots to the head you can't defend effectively against? Tap. Increase your career life and possibly your mental health.

Why wait that long?

As soon as your opponent connects with solid punch n rocks you, drop on the floor n tap

Just because Mir was in a worse position and Lesnar was in a better one , doesn’t mean one is turtling and one isn’t. Whatever you call it in both examples neither Mir or Lesnar were moving and were just covering their heads blocking shots, making no attempts to move to a new position.

You can’t change the definition to suit your argument. Not moving and only blocking shots is turtling up. Obviously the time spent like this and the position varies massively to the extent where it could either be considered intelligently defending yourself or effectively giving up.

It’s dumb thought to say this is the same as tapping though because tapping is a definitive way out. Turtling up has to be judged on an individual basis. Some fighters may want a way out and others might not be physically able to move but want to continue fighting. Unless you’re psychic or it’s Bob Sapp level turtling you won’t be able to tell
Lesnar could have easily been stopped with little argument from most. He was blocking shots. Not all of them but he was blocking a lot of them Mir was blocking the shots with his head. So you're telling me,. the Mir/Carwin fight should have continued? Really? Really? Mir definitely looked like he wanted to continue fighting, lying there dead.

Lesnar could have easily been stopped with little argument from most. He was blocking shots. Not all of them but he was blocking a lot of them Mir was blocking the shots with his head. So you're telling me,. the Mir/Carwin fight should have continued? Really? Really? Mir definitely looked like he wanted to continue fighting, lying there dead.

I didn’t say it should’ve continued. Obviously the ref is there to make that call on an individual basis. I’m just saying they’re not the same things. If a fighter taps there’s only one possible outcome and that’s that the ref stops it.
Turtling could mean a number of things in any given situation, maybe fighter wants to go out on their shield, they want to fight but are not physically able or maybe they want to be in a position to cause the ref will stop it but don’t want to appear “weak.” That’s why the two things are not the same.

Neither are as bad as rolling over and allowing your opponent to choke you with no resistance, then tapping twice faster than Sage tapped to the shoulder choke.

I'm not reaching that hard. Guys still tapped to strikes back then because ref stoppages weren't as frequent.

So who tapped to strikes in the first two UFC’s? I’ll give you a hint, there’s only two fighters.

Some of the best fights were when fighters came back after turtling up. I watched some old strikeforce fights that it happened in. They don't give the fighters a chance these days though.

Honestly turtling up is one of the smartest things someone can do, it's a shame it's looked down upon as giving up. Turtling and covering up forcing your opponent to pick shots or go for something else to open up strikes is a lot smarter than rolling around taking shots.

Back