Turtling up and doing nothing is the same as tapping to strikes

Some turtling is. Bob Sapp style turtling certainly is.

But it doesn't matter.... Tapping to any choke or submission is the same as tapping to strikes.

Yep, its a silly old-school thing. So many fighters purposely give up their necks in hopes to avoid brain damage when they've lost because of some stupid unwritten rule of the sport as if its better.

Have you ever been in a cage fight and had people smashing you with gnp until you turtle? It’s not the same as tapping to strikes.

A lot of the time it’s instinctual, and your brain has already been rattled to hell and back. You think Mir had any idea where he was and what he was doing when big Shane was blasting him to the dome?
Another pathetic loser.... Carwin should eat a dick for what he did to Mir and I don't even like Mir. The dude was juiced to the gills and Mir had the misfortune of landing in the cage with the two biggest (literally the biggest guys on the roster) juiceheads trying to block punches with his face. No wonder the guy started in on the kangaroo meat diet... shit, if you can't beat 'em, juice with 'em. People like to play the Lesnar/Mir GIF after Lesnar beat Mir but fuck Lesnar acting like a badass when he was nothing more than a cheater. I did not feel bad when he got liver-kicked by another cheater and shut down like a fuckin' pansy.

Tapping is giving up. With turtling, there is still a chance of escape. The bjj masters can find even the smallest of openings.

Also with turtling, there is a small chance that the puncher lands no effective strikes and wears himself out, potentially leading to escape.

Turtling up isn't quitting. It's the smart thing to do when your hurt and your body isn't responding. The only other option would be to lay starfished on the floor and take undefended bombs to the face.
It's not intelligently defending yourself. You're just sitting there covering up, not knowing where that shot is coming from.

If you want to make a comeback, turtling up isn't going to work. It's quitting.

Tell that to Brock in the carwin fight.

So they are basically quitting to avoid further damage which is why someone taps to strikes...

Exactly, and because it's dishonorable to tap, a fighter should just let the other guy pound his face.

It's not intelligently defending yourself. You're just sitting there covering up, not knowing where that shot is coming from.

If you want to make a comeback, turtling up isn't going to work. It's quitting.

Its obvious you haven't been punched in the face, or anywhere for that matter.

When you eat just one good shot, you can't see shit, not to mention you don't have complete control of your limbs.

So it's wise to turtle up at moments to distract the attackers offense while you cover up and try to recover.

Its something you learn as a white belt in BJJ.

Staying in turtle isn't wise, and the fighter is most likely, indirectly hoping the ref stops the fight if he stays that way. Like the end of gsp vs serra 2. There was no complaints from serra when it was stopped because he knew he wanted to stop.

But you soyboys with your high and mighty attitude is putrid.

Its obvious you haven't been punched in the face, or anywhere for that matter.

When you eat just one good shot, you can't see shit, not to mention you don't have complete control of your limbs.

So it's wise to turtle up at moments to distract the attackers offense while you cover up and try to recover.

Its something you learn as a white belt in BJJ.

Staying in turtle isn't wise, and the fighter is most likely, indirectly hoping the ref stops the fight if he stays that way. Like the end of gsp vs serra 2. There was no complaints from serra when it was stopped because he knew he wanted to stop.

But you soyboys with your high and mighty attitude is putrid.
What i'm trying to get at though that you can't seem to understand is that turtling up is trying to minimize the damage until the ref stops the fight. At that point, you've already given up and don't want to look for a way to come back. You're covering your head, hoping that you won't go out cold.... But I guess you're some douchefag who thinks that since he does BJJ on the weekends he's some type of knowledgeable person. I guess you don't have much common sense.

It's pretty simple if you know the rules for MMA, especially at the UFC level of fighting. If you turtle up, you're not intelligently defending yourself. Sure, cover up for a quick second while you try to get your wits back, but do not turtle with both hands, with your back turned to your opponent for an extended period of time.

I've been hit, and getting your eyes tearing up and having your equilibrium gone sucks, but you still need to defend yourself if you want to stay in the fight.

Instead of turtling up, you can try to move around to avoid getting hit repeatedly in the same spot. You can try to stay on your feet and move back, or lean against the cage if it's hard to stand. If you can't stand, you can also try to grab your opponent to restrict his range of motion and distance, which is the best option. Try grabbing a leg, tying up an arm or both arms, going for a body lock, rolling around, moving your head around until you can recover. Try your best to keep yourself facing towards your opponent and see where the shots are coming from to defend them properly.

Yes, you might open yourself to another shot, but at least you're looking for a way to stay in it instead of waiting for the ref to pull the other guy off.

Thats the stuff that people do when they want to stay in the fight. That is what the true warriors do. They're not afraid to get knocked out, they're more afraid of losing the fight.

People who turtle up are done. They might as well tap, because there is no honor in having another man stand over you and smash you as you refuse to move or fight back. I guess you're the type of dipshit who would probably turtle, but refuses to admit you bitched out in the fight. Enjoy your CTE from turtling, it seems you already have it.

@wilKO I think you're onto something here but I would advocate that it's even more cowardly than tapping to strikes. Turtling up is an admission of defeat, especially when you turn your body to the side and pray for the ref to stop it. It also shows that's you're too afraid to tap incase you get hit clean again.

It also shows that you're that weak of mind that you care more about what people think of you than your own well being.

Is this how fanboys try to rationalize their favourite fighter tapping to strikes?

That or ts is retarded

Another pathetic loser.... Carwin should eat a dick for what he did to Mir and I don't even like Mir. The dude was juiced to the gills and Mir had the misfortune of landing in the cage with the two biggest (literally the biggest guys on the roster) juiceheads trying to block punches with his face. No wonder the guy started in on the kangaroo meat diet... shit, if you can't beat 'em, juice with 'em. People like to play the Lesnar/Mir GIF after Lesnar beat Mir but fuck Lesnar acting like a badass when he was nothing more than a cheater. I did not feel bad when he got liver-kicked by another cheater and shut down like a fuckin' pansy.
lmao at thinking Mir wasn't always on it.

Stfu

untitled-3l19tg.gif

giphy.gif

OwXg1.gif

Mir was growing before that wasn't he? I remember him being pretty massive vs Kongo.

I'm glad Mir turtled, it entertained me quite a bit. But apparently to some idiots around here it's a good strategy to sit there and let a man rape you from behind. Very honorable.

14brypk.gif

1b6n4.gif

What i'm trying to get at though that you can't seem to understand is that turtling up is trying to minimize the damage until the ref stops the fight. At that point, you've already given up and don't want to look for a way to come back. You're covering your head, hoping that you won't go out cold.... But I guess you're some douchefag who thinks that since he does BJJ on the weekends he's some type of knowledgeable person. I guess you don't have much common sense.

It's pretty simple if you know the rules for MMA, especially at the UFC level of fighting. If you turtle up, you're not intelligently defending yourself. Sure, cover up for a quick second while you try to get your wits back, but do not turtle with both hands, with your back turned to your opponent for an extended period of time.

I've been hit, and getting your eyes tearing up and having your equilibrium gone sucks, but you still need to defend yourself if you want to stay in the fight.

Instead of turtling up, you can try to move around to avoid getting hit repeatedly in the same spot. You can try to stay on your feet and move back, or lean against the cage if it's hard to stand. If you can't stand, you can also try to grab your opponent to restrict his range of motion and distance, which is the best option. Try grabbing a leg, tying up an arm or both arms, going for a body lock, rolling around, moving your head around until you can recover. Try your best to keep yourself facing towards your opponent and see where the shots are coming from to defend them properly.

Yes, you might open yourself to another shot, but at least you're looking for a way to stay in it instead of waiting for the ref to pull the other guy off.

Thats the stuff that people do when they want to stay in the fight. That is what the true warriors do. They're not afraid to get knocked out, they're more afraid of losing the fight.

People who turtle up are done. They might as well tap, because there is no honor in having another man stand over you and smash you as you refuse to move or fight back. I guess you're the type of dipshit who would probably turtle, but refuses to admit you bitched out in the fight. Enjoy your CTE from turtling, it seems you already have it.

This has so much fail I don't know where to begin.

I love this whole idea from guys like Frank Mir of all people going around that tapping to strikes is dishonourable.

They are the same thing. Yet one is accepted and the other is frowned upon. When you turtle up and "play dead" so the ref stops the fight you are quitting. It happens in almost half the TKOs in MMA. One guy gets a dominant position and punches the other guy who is hurt and instead of defending himself or fighting back he turtles up and waits for the ref to save him. The ref will say "fight back" and the guy will literally do nothing.

Look at almost any Michael Bisping TKO win. He doesn't knock them out. He makes them quit.

He won't be knocked out. He will just quit and wait for the ref to save him. It's almost as if it's the honourable way of tapping to strikes.

Trurtleing up might also be an instinct to protect ur self when technique dosnt work and ur taking a beating. Im not so sure that every fighter that turtles up is conciouse enough to think « i give up». When taping to strikes the fighter most likley are conciouse of their decision which makes it more frowned upon.

It's the same principle, but what Mir means doesn't have to make sense. Taking a beating until the ref jumps in, even if it is quitting, is considered more macho than the gesture of surrender. Never waive the white flag, puff up your chest type of thing.

Back