Turtling up and doing nothing is the same as tapping to strikes

wilKO

Green, White & Gold belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I love this whole idea from guys like Frank Mir of all people going around that tapping to strikes is dishonourable.

They are the same thing. Yet one is accepted and the other is frowned upon. When you turtle up and "play dead" so the ref stops the fight you are quitting. It happens in almost half the TKOs in MMA. One guy gets a dominant position and punches the other guy who is hurt and instead of defending himself or fighting back he turtles up and waits for the ref to save him. The ref will say "fight back" and the guy will literally do nothing.

Look at almost any Michael Bisping TKO win. He doesn't knock them out. He makes them quit.

He won't be knocked out. He will just quit and wait for the ref to save him. It's almost as if it's the honourable way of tapping to strikes.

Totally. Fighters should just take all those shots to the face and head, like real men.

Totally. Fighters should just take all those shots to the face and head, like real men.

So they are basically quitting to avoid further damage which is why someone taps to strikes...

Yeh, they're both a way of giving up and accepting the L

100% with ya.

I don’t think that’s what TS is saying though, right?

Mir’s comment was pretty ridiculous, I agree

Turtling up isn't quitting. It's the smart thing to do when your hurt and your body isn't responding. The only other option would be to lay starfished on the floor and take undefended bombs to the face.

most guys turtling up are too out of it to do anything else. Tapping is a conscious decision when you can probably do something else.

So they are basically quitting to avoid further damage which is why someone taps to strikes...

Why does it have to be turtling? Let’s be more constructive and call it “positioning oneself to minimize damage.” So what if you’re praying for the ref to save you?

Justin Gaethje approves this post.
GAETHJE_JUSTIN.png

very similar to panic wrestling in some ways, Conor shooting for a takedown was him giving up imo. Also giving up your back

What? No it's not. Giving up is tapping out. Having the ref intervene isn't..

The fuck do you expect? Someone who is in trouble to just wave their chin in the fucking air?

Straight up this is stupid.

I don’t think that’s what TS is saying though, right?

Mir’s comment was pretty ridiculous, I agree

Mir vs Carwin. He gave up, innit. Well done Mir, you took 10+ unnecessary shot to the head from the hardest hitter in the division without any effort to reverse the position. At least you didn't tap to strikes...

Why does it have to be turtling? Let’s be more constructive and call it “positioning oneself to minimize damage.” So what if you’re praying for the ref to save you?

I'm not saying there is anything wrong. I'm saying it's the same principle as tapping to strikes. Yet tapping to strikes is mocked and the other isn't at all.

Have you ever been in a cage fight and had people smashing you with gnp until you turtle? It’s not the same as tapping to strikes.

A lot of the time it’s instinctual, and your brain has already been rattled to hell and back. You think Mir had any idea where he was and what he was doing when big Shane was blasting him to the dome?

Mir vs Carwin. He gave up, innit. Well done Mir, you took 10+ unnecessary shot to the head from the hardest hitter in the division without any effort to reverse the position. At least you didn't tap to strikes...
remember his quote about that? Somebody had it as a sig awhile ago iirc

It was like “oh cool, look- I can defend the takedown now. I just forgot to protect myself from the punches” or something like that

I agree 100% but it has to be said there's nothing wrong with quitting. This is a brutal sport and every fighter knows when they are done

GOATs don’t tap to strikes

It’s as simple as that

Turtling up isn't quitting. It's the smart thing to do when your hurt and your body isn't responding. The only other option would be to lay starfished on the floor and take undefended bombs to the face.

it is quitting. if the ref wasn't there, you're a dead man.

I disagree. It's just not having any options and trying to protect yourself the best you can.

I also don't think tapping to strikes is dishonorable or cowardly.

Back