Turn based RPG's aren't for me anymore

Mau

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So, I bought Battle Chasers: Nightwar and so far I'm on the second dungeon, it's really cool and well made but I think I understand why this genre is dying (or I'm too old).

I loved all the Final Fantasies (not I and XIII-3), all the Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger, Cross, you name it, but it's boring as shit now, just press some button and wait for your char to move.

I will finish the game just to satisfy the completionist in me, but I hope it's not too long lol

I can't even get into most rpgs today, period. Considering rpg elements have been shoved into any and every game for over a decade now, the effects are diminished since most devs seem to equate skill trees with true rpg hallmarks.

You're getting older. Games dont stick me in front of the monitor like they once did. In fact more often than not I dont even finish them anymore. I dont think the quality has gone down, I just think as you get older it's more difficult for a pastime to keep the hooks in you as it once did.

I thought the same. Only good turn based rpg I've played in years that I can think of off the top of my head is Persona 5 which I'm playing through right now. Great game.

Same, but i would say for me all JRPGs hold no joy for me anymore. They are just not made for my mindset. Just too damn old now to relate. And that's just sad...

Last edited:
The Divinity series has revived the turn based genre. There's way more going on than waiting for your character to move.

I still like them, but fatigue starts to set in earlier and earlier. Especially going back and playing the classics with random enemies and designated save points. I find the save spots to be a real killer. Sometimes you get stuck in a tough dungeon and just want to take a break, but noooo. Must get to the next save point. Not to mention the death penalty of having to go back if you happen to get killed. Feels good when you squeak out a tough win, knowing you were going back if you lost, but man, when you die it's like an immediate "fuck this game!"

"Persona 5" was the best turn based game I've played in a while. 120 hours to beat it, and I never really got tired of the combat.

I disagree with most of the assumptions in this thread about time making it worse. I think that we have things to compare them to now that are significantly more engaging. If you like harder to find story and more action but with RPG elements dark souls. If you prefer simple combat systems with RPG elements and straightforward story skyrim. If you like a mix of the previous 2 systems witcher. Why play a turn based system? It's hard to compete with games that have all the same things but also add in intensity and fluidity. Previous RPG's weren't as engaging.

I edited to add: FF2 is one of my favorite games of all time, but even so I'd rather play it on emulator so I can do insane game speed to keep the game entertaining and then I can beat it in a few hours. Any game that doesn't allow this type of play speed is just zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Can't really use a single game as a barometer.

Dark Souls is as much a RPG as Street Fighter V turbo.

Can't really use a single game as a barometer.
It's not like there were a lot of these games released recently. Sure the library is extensive, but we are not in 1997-2000 anymore. This genre hasn't evolved.

Even FF VII remake will probably use something resembling FF XV as battle system.

Battletech is good

TBH, Battletech got real tedious for me late game.

Just spamming knockdowns and waiting for the AI to do dumb things since they outnumber you like 2:1 with the same quality or better mechs.

It has to be done right IMO. Battlechasers is ok but didn't really do it right IMO.

I still love a good JRPG, but they are super rare and have to have strong story elements and interesting level progression to keep my interest.

It has to be done right IMO. Battlechasers is ok but didn't really do it right IMO.
Yeah, I think it's too grindy for my tastes, I have to do each dungeon three times or else I get trounced by the enemies on the world map.

Yeah, I think it's too grindy for my tastes, I have to do each dungeon three times or else I get trounced by the enemies on the world map.

Yea I didn't play the game long and I noticed this was going to be the way it played. Which was fine for me cause I had it on my switch which I only play during lunch and when I get to work early.

Back