Turkey, the Kurds, and Syria(Kurds Reach Afrin Deal with Syrian Government Forces)

a) if the US does something to damage the territorial extent of Turkey- it might be enough grounds for such a rift. However America has shown a willingness to keep bases inside a country despite the population's protests.

b) Tough to station troops without dramatic counter-actions from Turkey, Iran, Syria, and Russia. A lot of consequences to the new area of Kurdistan to host US military bases while being landlocked by several hostile countries.

manateghe-kurdneshin.jpg

c) US imperialists do as US imperialists do.

Good comment on being landlocked

C) don’t understand, why we want nukes so close to Syria ?

Turkey and Assad use eachother to get what they want regarding the PYD/YPG. In Afrin I believe Turkey would like to capture the whole area but they went into the operation knowing that this wouldn't be a likely outcome due to negotiations between the YPG and Syrian Government. This collage from Reddit is of different scenarios that could end up happening. Right now it seems like Scenario 4 is going to be the end result but with much less area under TFSA control.

78brtwabyef01.png

To me the main goals of Turkey during Operation Olive Branch and Euphrates Shield weren't about capturing the whole area but primarily being able to get a buffer zone of suitable size in Syrian territory. The Afrin buffer zone serves several purposes:
-Prevent cross border collaboration between the PYD/YPG and PKK therefore making it harder for them to communicate, exchange arms and training, and to impact the ability for PKK fighters to seek safe haven in YPG territory across the border.
-Syrian refugees in Turkey can be resettled in this new area and the infrastructure will be developed. This of course costs Turkey money but it's considered worth it.
-Change the demographics of villages close to the Turkish border by resettling large amounts of non-Kurdish people into the area. I wouldn't be surprised if Kurds were kicked out of these areas and forced to move further into Afrin or maybe into the Euphrates Shield Zone. Qabasin for example has a significant Kurdish population. Of course all this resettlement, or ethnic cleansing, or whatever you want to call it is done for security reasons relating to the PKK. Sucks to be kicked out of your home in the name of another countries interests.

People like to talk about how Turkey wants to occupy these parts of Syria in the name of neo-ottoman imperialism but from the reasons I listed above I believe it is more about gaining an advantage in the Turkey-PKK conflict than anything concerning imperialism or getting back at the Syrian Government. Even only temporary occupation of these areas helps sway the conflict further to Turkey's side.

Turkey's conflict with Afrin forces it into a position where it must choose between giving up to Turkey and giving up to the Syrian government. As long as it has a sufficiently large buffer zone I doubt Turkey cares too much about what happens to the rest of Afrin since giving up to the Syrian government means that the YPG in Afrin will have to give up their arms and disband and the PYD will have to hand administrative control over. So what Turkey gets from Assad's involvement is the disbandment of the PYD/YPG administration over the Afrin area with less resources spent and lives lost at the cost of a smaller buffer zone. They will take advantage of the situation to crush the dream of Kurdish statehood for now.

What Assad gets from the conflict is control of whats left of the Afrin canton with a smaller fight than if the area was taken by force.The rumors say that they also want to enforce conscription in the area once it returns to government administration. The local fighters in Afrin are very high quality compared to most of the country but they may not fight as well for Assad compared to when they were in the YPG. It's also easier to get land back from the PYD than Turkey; who knows when Turkey will leave its occupied territory, if ever.

Of course most of this is speculation since we don't know what is going on in the deal between the Syrian Government and Afrin, but the universally believed conditions are that the PYD has to hand over administration to the government and the YPG must give up its arms and disband.

I will do another overview of what happened in the past week, and go into why I think Afrin surrendered so quickly if this deal is really happening. This isn't the best explanation but if you want me to expand on any points I will try my best to

Note: TRT World is a Turkish state news channel

Found this...
syrian_civil_war_with_anime_characters_by_jmantime_is_here-d92ktkq.jpg

I agree. Most likely is soon overtime afrin will become not kurdish. Demographics push them out to majority connected kurdish areas. Turkey then get buffer zone

The Kurdish YPG fighters claim they have reached a deal to allow Syrian government troops to enter Afrin in the northwestern part of the border town.

Nuri Mahmoud, a spokesman for the People's Protection Units (YPG), told Al Jazeera on Monday that they are calling on the Syrian government forces "to preserve a united Syria", in a development that could mean regime forces might directly confront Turkish troops in the region.

Turkey and Free Syrian Army (FSA) - an Ankara-backed armed Syrian opposition group - last month launched an air and ground operation into Afrin to push the US-backed YPG fighters out to create a buffer zone on its southern border.

Ankara considers YPG, which controls Afrin, a "terrorist" organisation.

"Syrian soldiers haven't yet arrived. We are calling on the Syrian army to protect Afrin, because we'd love to preserve a unified Syria," Mahmoud told Al Jazeera.

"We are saying this because the international community continues to address the Syrian leadership as sovereign and we call on this authority to protect its territory."

He added that the Syrian government forces are expected to arrive within two days.

No Turkish response yet
Turkish authorities contacted by Al Jazeera refrained from making immediate comments on the Kurdish side's claims, saying that Turkey considers the Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD), active in Syria, and its armed wing YPG, to be "terrorist groups" with ties to the banned Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK).

The PKK has waged a decades-long armed fight against the Turkish state that has killed tens of thousands of people.

The PYD/YPG has come to control large swaths of northern Syria, including Afrin, in the course of the Syrian war as it led the US-backed umbrella organisation Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in the fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) group.

The US support for SDF has infuriated Turkey and created the ongoing diplomatic crisis between the two NATO allies.

The latest development highlights the complex battlefield of northern Syria, which hosts a high number of actors, including the PYD/YPG, the Syrian government, rebel factions, Turkey, the US and Russia.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/02/forces-ypg-fight-turkey-180219074412267.html

Assad has all the rights to protect his borders from foreign invaders

Shortly after the deal with the Syrian government the advances each day kept on getting bigger and bigger. I don't think anyone expected it to go this quickly especially with the arrival of the Iranian militias.
WAILlkd.jpg

Fucking Turkey. Fuck Erdogan, and fuck the US foreign policy establishment for abandoning the Kurds again.

Fucking Turkey. Fuck Erdogan, and fuck the US foreign policy establishment for abandoning the Kurds again.

I don't care about the Kurds...they're the same barbaric, religious fanatics that ISIS and the Syrian rebels are.

ANKARA/BEIRUT (Reuters) - Pro-Syrian government forces entered Syria’s northwestern Afrin region on Tuesday to help a Kurdish militia there fend off a Turkish assault, raising the prospect of a wider escalation of the conflict.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...o-aid-kurds-against-turkey-idUSKCN1G41WG?il=0

It's weird. I hate Assad but this fills my heart with joy.

The YPG and PKK need to start killing off duty Turks at their home to get even. The IRA was brilliant in the way they would kill Loyalist scum in front of their families. Turk soldiers need to start dying where they feel safe, it's the best outcome right now.

I don't care about the Kurds...they're the same barbaric, religious fanatics that ISIS and the Syrian rebels are.

I don't speak retarded, can you elaborate? Also will you try to tone down the tardness and try to explain why you think this rebellion is happening?

The Kurdish YPG fighters claim they have reached a deal to allow Syrian government troops to enter Afrin in the northwestern part of the border town.

Nuri Mahmoud, a spokesman for the People's Protection Units (YPG), told Al Jazeera on Monday that they are calling on the Syrian government forces "to preserve a united Syria", in a development that could mean regime forces might directly confront Turkish troops in the region.

Turkey and Free Syrian Army (FSA) - an Ankara-backed armed Syrian opposition group - last month launched an air and ground operation into Afrin to push the fighters out to create a buffer zone on its southern border.

Ankara considers YPG, which controls Afrin, a "terrorist" organisation.

"Syrian soldiers haven't yet arrived. We are calling on the Syrian army to protect Afrin, because we'd love to preserve a unified Syria," Mahmoud told Al Jazeera.

"We are saying this because the international community continues to address the Syrian leadership as sovereign and we call on this authority to protect its territory."

He added that the Syrian government forces are expected to arrive within two days.

No Turkish response yet
Turkish authorities contacted by Al Jazeera refrained from making immediate comments on the Kurdish side's claims, saying that Turkey considers the Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD), active in Syria, and its armed wing YPG, to be "terrorist groups" with ties to the banned Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK).

The PKK has waged a decades-long armed fight against the Turkish state that has killed tens of thousands of people.

The PYD/YPG has come to control large swaths of northern Syria, including Afrin, in the course of the Syrian war as it led the US-backed umbrella organisation Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in the fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) group.

The US support for SDF has infuriated Turkey and created the ongoing diplomatic crisis between the two NATO allies.

The latest development highlights the complex battlefield of northern Syria, which hosts a high number of actors, including the PYD/YPG, the Syrian government, rebel factions, Turkey, the US and Russia.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/02/forces-ypg-fight-turkey-180219074412267.html

The US and the UK have both betrayed the democratic and socially liberial Kurds in order to keep good relations with despotic jihadi backing Turkey basically.

Several british citizens fighting for the YPG have been killed now, the media here having a tough time explaining why white environmental liberials are choosing to fight for them.

Last edited:
I don't speak retarded, can you elaborate? Also will you try to tone down the tardness and try to explain why you think this rebellion is happening?

Dear me, what a classy reply.... :rolleyes:

You kiss your mother with that mouth(after she finished sucking off her customers like the whore she is)?
And, no sorry I don't speak "retard". So please find someone else who can mutually communicate with you on that.

Dear me, what a classy reply.... :rolleyes:

You kiss your mother with that mouth(after she finished sucking off her customers like the whore she is)?
And, no sorry I don't speak "retard". So please find someone else who can mutually communicate with you on that.

Jesus. I didn't expect you to be as witty as me, but you could have at least tried.

The US and the UK have both betrayed the democratic and socially liberial Kurds in order to keep good relations with despotic jihadi backing Turkey basically.

Several british citizens fighting for the YPG have been killed now, the media here having a tough time explaining why white environmental liberials are choosing to fight for them.

We didn't betray any "democratic and liberal" group, so no wrong done there.

The Kurds are just as bad. They're pro-western just for the moment and when they turn their guns on us they'll be branded as backward minded terrorists again, by everyone.

Back