TUF 26 (A New World Champion): Weekly Updates - Daily Talk

So, Nicco Montano grew up on a Navajo reservation. Are there other Native Americans fighting in the UFC?

There have been a few. For women Elizabeth Phillips, when she was in the UFC, comes a bit to mind. She is mixed with Blackfeet and Choctaw, along with African American. She grew up on a reservation in Washington but was not part of that tribal grouping.

She has a fight scheduled for this month but no opponent at the moment.

So, Nicco Montano grew up on a Navajo reservation. Are there other Native Americans fighting in the UFC?

Not in the UFC but Kathina Catron who famously lost to Rose by flying arm bar is 100 % Native American. Apache County where Montano is from is one of only 3 counties in the US where English or Spanish is not the most widely spoken language.

Not in the UFC but Kathina Catron who famously lost to Rose by flying arm bar is 100 % Native American. Apache County where Montano is from is one of only 3 counties in the US where English or Spanish is not the most widely spoken language.

I was thinking about mentioning Kathina Lowe (she married) but decided not to. She was shown losing to Montana Stewart in tonight TUF episode at Xtreme Fight Night 342.

Full Fight

Since I posted Stewart's fight with Lowe I figured I post Beck's fight with Lowe. Not a good version though.

Last edited:
There was 2 of them but they got cut. Liz Phillips and David Michaud.

Murphy said that she believed there was a weakness in Honchak's takedown defense and she knew of a technique that could exploit that weakness, and so she wanted to be able to train that technique with somebody without Honchak being informed what the gameplan was. That is normally exactly what fighters and their coaches do before a fight: analyze the opponent and work on exploiting weaknesses in the opponent. In previous TUFs where teammates have had to fight, there have been instances of those teammates getting different assistant coaches each dedicated to training and cornering a specific one of the teammates against the other. Usually the "star" coach stays neutral. I don't think that Murphy was in the wrong to inquire about whether she could have someone specifically working with her to defeat Honchak (with Honchak, of course, getting her own assistant coach dedicated specifically to helping her defeat Murphy).

had to hold off on replying for a while till i got a chance to rewatch what lauren murphy said and i can't believe it. Exploit barb honchak's takedown defense? Did lauren murphy not watch what happened against christine ferea in the tuf 26 tryouts? nevermind takedown defense, she pulled guard, eventually got a sweep to get back mount, and was about to get the choke.

Why would anyone like lauren murphy focus on taking down barb honchak? i don't understand this at all, to me this is extremely low fight iq.

If i am barb honchak, i would gladly let lauren murphy take me down.

I mean barb honchak is always a threat to get a finish on the ground because she has high level grappling, she loves to scramble, she's not scared to take chances and lauren murphy isn't going to do anything with a takedown over someone high level against her, she will either get triangled, arm barred, or get swept.

barb honchak vs christine ferea video from tuf 26 tryouts very hard to find so anyone can watch it again above

As it is starting to look like with Montana getting
the win the higher seeded fighters may end up
winning all the prelim fights and facing each other
from the quarter finals onward.

Damn for being a "pro boxer" Ariel sure seemed to take a lot of punches that popped her head back

As it is starting to look like with Montana getting
the win the higher seeded fighters may end up
winning all the prelim fights and facing each other
from the quarter finals onward.

Hope Rachael gets the upset, but then she faces Barb anyway, so...

Damn for being a "pro boxer" Ariel sure seemed to take a lot of punches that popped her head back[/quote[

Hope Rachael gets the upset, but then she faces Barb anyway, so...

Agreed. She's pretty much the same fighter she's been for a few years now. I half think she knows she needs to move away from home to improve her game she just doesn't want to and keeps making excuses. (She does need to move elsewhere for proper training if she wants to get better in my opinion.)

Rachael has a very good chance at an upset against Melinda Fabian. Fabian's ground game is pretty bad. I can't remember her having a strong takedown defense either. She does her best against decent fighters who are mostly strikers. And her wins are against mostly weak opposition.

Eeva Siiskonen (MT background - Draw) and Lucie Pudilova (Fairly new to training and MMA at the time - UD loss 5x5rds) are her best fights against decent opponents.

It will be interesting to hear Lauren Murphy's Back
story do to the fact she had issues with drugs and
alcohol & even did a night in the can thanks to
drinking.But if she is staying clean & sober then that
is a plus considering she could have been dead or
in prison without any hope.

It will be interesting to hear Lauren Murphy's Back
story do to the fact she had issues with drugs and
alcohol & even did a night in the can thanks to
drinking.But if she is staying clean & sober then that
is a plus considering she could have been dead or
in prison without any hope.

Yep. She didn't want to do TUF18 for the above reasons. She wanted to stick to her training regime and not get tempted by distractions and easy to access alcohol.

What the fuck? I just found out this was going on now. The UFC did a bad job of advertising this.

I am really disappointed about this. I thought that this is going to be a good season, but level of fighters is absolutely trash. Very surprised if winner is able to get out of first round with Valentina. She is moving down to 125.

I am really disappointed about this. I thought that this is going to be a good season, but level of fighters is absolutely trash. Very surprised if winner is able to get out of first round with Valentina. She is moving down to 125.
What? You seriously don't think Lauren Murphy could get out of the first round with Shevchenko?

What? You seriously don't think Lauren Murphy could get out of the first round with Shevchenko?

Out of first was a stretch but it will be very brutal domination against any of these fighters.

We haven't seen Barb Honchak fight yet. I'm not willing to dismiss the former Invicta FC flyweight champion before seeing what she's got (she didn't lose the title by getting beaten). And whoever the winner of TUF turns out to be, I'd be surprised if Shevchenko manages a first round finish considering what a slow starter she is.

Last edited:
What the fuck? I just found out this was going on now. The UFC did a bad job of advertising this.
Yeah, i found out about it last week myself. They don't care about this show at all.

Back