TUF 23 Ep. 11 PBP Discussion

This is a pretty uneventful season. Can't believe I'm actually saying this but I miss the drunk shenanigans and pranks of the other seasons. The highlight of this episode was home made bowling ffs. There has to be other things they can focus on. Maybe getting to know the fighters better. There's no way this cast of people could be this boring.

And did I miss the episode that introduced Renan Barao or did they just totally ignore the ex bantamweight champ? They've highlighted Meisha, TJ and fucking Carla Esparza, but no love for Renan?

I'd say the highlight of the episode was ABC in a sports bra followed by the fight.

I agree that making weight isn't ALL mental, but some failures at cutting DO reveal whether a fighter wants it enough, I think. I'm thinking of Gutierrez who just gave up during TUF 18 even though he was told it was still possible for him to make weight. It was one of Ronda's fighters and she got very pissed off over it. She impromptu dropped a whole lot of weight during the next 24 hours just to show her own mental toughness with weight cutting.

TUF 18: Ronda Rousey shed 17 pounds in 24 hours to prove that cutting weight is mental
By Jesse Holland on Nov 21, 2013

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/11/21/...unds-24-hours-prove-cutting-weight-mental-mma

I think in ABC's case she shouldn't be dropping to weight that low. Least of all 3 times in 6 weeks. There's nothing mentally "tough" about destroying your body.
I don't want to see another Steve Montgomery seizure.

Dana only cares about making money off these guys. He doesn't give a shit about there health. Sick of him trying to call out pro fighters for not being mentally tough because there not dehydrating to near death.

I think in ABC's case she shouldn't be dropping to weight that low. Least of all 3 times in 6 weeks.

I agree that TUF is potentially dangerous for fighters, with respect to weight-cutting, especially when they are large for the division or dropping from a higher division. In a TUF 20 preview they showed Aisling Daly apparently passed out in a bathroom, but then mysteriously never showed that scene in an episode. I always assumed that scene was related to weight-cut issues because Aisling tends to have a heavy walk-around weight and has missed weight before. I expected the TUF format to be hard on her. I think it would have been hard on Bec too, had she been required to do it 3 times in 6 weeks. I think Claudia herself might not have been able to make the cut 3 times had she been a contestant back then. Also Jo Jo, who recently fought at flyweight in her most recent UFC fight.

I expected possible problems for ABC, as her Invicta FC fight was at flyweight. And at first I had wished that the winner of that fight, Aspen Ladd, had gotten into TUF instead, but it might have been wise that she did not try to do that. In fact, Aspen Ladd will fight her next fight in Invicta FC at bantamweight, moving up from flyweight. So hopefully she will be free from dangerous dehydrating.

Aspen Ladd (L) after a recent training session with Marion Reneau (R).

Amanda is a tough girl. I like Lanchana as well. I hope she gets a chance.

Amanda's hair changes all the time. It gets confusing. Sometimes I think it's another chick.

Amanda is a tough girl. I like Lanchana as well. I hope she gets a chance.

Amanda's hair changes all the time. It gets confusing. Sometimes I think it's another chick.

I like to pretend it is another chick for variety.

ABC vs Tatiana in the finals then.
Has to be Tatiana. On the previews for the next episode all they show is Tatiana throwing a strike and her opponent throwing a strike which make me think the fight won't be to long and will be mainly on the ground. On last weeks Tough Talk, ABC put her finger over her mouth like twice telling Kenny Florian and Bryant to hush about discussing her newer jiu jitsu training. Who else would she want to keep that type info away from lol!

Gorgonon, according to the previews off TV...they kinda gave away another one of the Ultimate Fighter results again based upon what they showed lol. That's why I said what I previously said.

Has to be Tatiana. On the previews for the next episode all they show is Tatiana throwing a strike and her opponent throwing a strike which make me think the fight won't be to long and will be mainly on the ground. On last weeks Tough Talk, ABC put her finger over her mouth like twice telling Kenny Florian and Bryant to hush about discussing her newer jiu jitsu training. Who else would she want to keep that type info away from lol!

Gorgonon, according to the previews off TV...they kinda gave away another one of the Ultimate Fighter results again based upon what they showed lol. That's why I said what I previously said.

That's a very good observation, mmacrosstrain! And you were right all along, too! You'd make an excellent addition for the TUF Trivia Game next time it rolls around. I'm gonna put you on the list of possible participants and give you a shout out if/when it happens. I only do them when there are women on TUF, so likely when they introduce 125lb weight class.

Thanks for the warning again, and hope your fighters win this weekend!

Back