Trying to focus my training

1PBCE1

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hi all, trying to get focused in my approach. Am 32, 6ft6, 115kg with too much body fat, looking to drop to 100kg while not losing much strength/fitness.

Workout wise, my main hobby is BJJ so that will be my main source of cardio, but I will swap that with some hill sprints if I miss class.

Strength is a 2 day Starting Strength type split. Just basic compound lifts to maintain or even increase a bit of strength.

Diet wise I've been following IIFYM but it's started to plateau a little, so after talking to a trainer friend of mine I've decided to combine this with IF. I started with doing 16/8 and am now moving on to 18:6.

There are things that I'm not doing that I'd like in there, like some yoga, more bodyweight stuff and maybe kettlebells, but heck there's just not enough time in the week. What I've chosen are the things I like to do the most to give the biggest chance of consistency and success.

Just looking for some general critique and whether you think there's anything glaring gaps.

Z3B4P5W.jpg

If you're plateauing then its not the style of dieting, either you're physically less active and due to that your TDEE has reduced without you knowing, so you end up eating at maintenance unknowingly. This is the main key when it comes to your TDEE. When I'm in camp and training 2x a day, 6 days a week, my TDEE is 3600. These days I'm not so training has dropped to once a day, 5-6 days, and well that number has dropped as well. Its about 3000 right now. So take that into consideration.

Or you have a pretty high sodium intake and the water retention is screwing it up a little. You wouldn't be not losing fat, but it does affect the number a little.

Likewise I think its the former, make a small reduction (say 200 calories a day), see where that leads you for a week.

But really for your height and weight, I think 2150 calories is too low, even if you're shooting for 2lbs a week.

Thanks bro, will re-look at the calories.

What do you think of the exercise element?

Thanks bro, will re-look at the calories.

What do you think of the exercise element?
Overall its not bad, its okay. The main thing is you have a routine where it works for you and you progress, and as cliche as it sounds, the whole point of a routine is for your gradual progression, there's no point if its too much and you stop after a week.

For a 2 day lifting template 531 2 day is decent. I made good improvements with it for years. I didn't know SS had a 2 day template. What's your goal overall? Is it more towards BJJ or fitness?

If Tues ends up being a grueling day, then Wed has to be a lighter day. I remember having a tough ME lower day and the following day grappling was a wrestling grinder off the fence day, and at times thought my hams were gonna tear. From that I found with heavy days the next days optimally is:

-heavy upper, next day or same day = grappling
-heavy lower, next day or same day = striking (as strange as this sounds, my legs are barely used in striking, its hips. Sparring is a no go. Can't get getting leg kicked with beat up legs).

So cardio is only hill sprints? If you're serious about competing in the future, you'll have incorporate both HIIT and slow-steady (low pace, long distance) type cardio for then. One can't replace the other. But if you're not looking to do that now, its not urgent.

Incorporate the Wim Hof Method.

Back