Trying To Build A Powerlifting Gym

Thunderkopf

Lol, wut.
Banned
Reaction score
I've been thinking about building my own small space powerlifting/oly friendly gym for awhile, especially since the gyms I attend tend to frown against PL movements/chalk use/are full of fratastic douchebags that piss me off to no end.

The question is, what is a good size for such a gym in terms of square feet? I plan to purchase a squat cage, a bench, deadlift platform (or build it), two bars, weight plates, GHR machine, and a set of dumbbells.

Oh, and I want to install a heavy bag and a thai bag, and probably a little mat space for rolling.

Rent out here for warehouse space isn't that expensive, so I feel confident about this endeavor. Any advice will be great appreciated.

THX!

I went to a powerlifting gym years ago that was probably 50x50. I think it had three squat racks that sat on deadlift platforms, two or three benchpresses. It also had an assortment of old machines.

2500 sq. feet. That's a tad too much. I don't plan to turn this into a commercial enterprise...

Or maybe I will, who knows? Supply and demand. Supply and demand.

My garage is 200sp/ft and its tight. I would say for 5 to be comfortable 1000 sq feet more if you want the heavey bag and rollign area

I am kind of guessing at the size. My mom got me a membership to the gym when I was in the 7th grade. I am 38 now. If it was just me and a couple friends maybe 10x20. The space I lift in now is probably close to that and if I could get rid of the crap that co-workers want, and a couple new peices of equipment it would be awesome.

WOW, Lance. That was a helluva response. I will read and re-read that til it becomes ingrained in my head. Much appreciated, good sir.

I can't build a gym in my garage because I'm rooming with two other people.

And YES, I am a glutton for punishment. Adrenaline junkie. High risk taker. Whatever, I just am. Been thinking about this idea for YEARS.

EDIT:

Oh, and I plan to retake my personal cert exam in a month. Once I get qualified, I want to start attracting clienteles to this gym. I'm a college student now, and I'm quite savvy with networking with people.

Last edited:
I know someone who dreams of doing this in the future as well. From what I've heard, it's very hard to make a profit having a niche gym like that. As Lance said, you're going to need to target a large crowd and may have to resort to doing anythings that you don't agree with or are not interested in. Like cheesy classes and such.

I'd also recommend building a clientele before you start the gym. If there is enough interest and you have a team under your wing, you might feel more confident about throwing the money down to get started.

Good luck!

Cool, cool. Thanks, guys. There's a powerlifting gym in my old neighborhood of El Segundo that I used to go to- Four Star Gym.

It's not your ordinary gym with plenty of fancy equipments, or even a gym attendant present, but a straight-up, hardcore, no-nonsense PL/Oly friendly gym with a monolift, competition bench, RHE machine, etc. It's also got a bag area in the back.

How the hell it managed and still manages to sustain itself, especially in that grand old area of Downtown El Segundo is beyond me, but damn, I would love model my gym after that.

Yeah, and to add to the list of things to buy, I'm also going bring some kegs, sleds, sandbag, logs, and all that cool Strongman shit. If I could attract HS and College athletes like Joe DeFranco did/does, that would be TITS!

Yeah, I'll call it Thunderhead (Thunderkopf) Anti-Crossfit Gym

K5CLi.gif

Are you looking to make a space for you and a couple buddies to train or are you wanting to start a business and make money?

Very very very different end goals.

I plan on building a power rack in my basement. There would be no way I could start a gym in my town strictly for PLing or Oly Lifting. We have a CF gym here that attracts a lot of Soccer moms for keetle bell classes and psycho CF wod sessions. I could never compete with that! Like it was said before people who are serious athletes or people who want to lift like this are a dim a dozen and are likly paying another gym right now, or are at home themselves!

Are you looking to make a space for you and a couple buddies to train or are you wanting to start a business and make money?

Very very very different end goals.

The former was what I had in mind for a long time. But I think for something like this to sustain itself, I'll need to broaden my clientele base other than my friends.

I've got a bunch of money saved up. And working out is one of my biggest passions in life. If I can I share this passion to others and make a buck out of it, well, I can live with that!

I plan on building a power rack in my basement. There would be no way I could start a gym in my town strictly for PLing or Oly Lifting. We have a CF gym here that attracts a lot of Soccer moms for keetle bell classes and psycho CF wod sessions. I could never compete with that! Like it was said before people who are serious athletes or people who want to lift like this are a dim a dozen and are likly paying another gym right now, or are at home themselves!

That's the thing, NurseKnuckles. I've got my way with words. I plan to get a PT cert soon, and do a little work on the side at a fitness gym (there's plenty around here) with a focus on the aforementioned soccer moms. I go to college, btw, and methinks my schedule will be as flexible as theirs.

Once I've accumulated enough experience, perhaps I can develop a Crossfit-like, P90X-like, *insert-your-latest-fad*-like program for them and get them buns in motion!

*In Richard Simmon's Voice*

Yeah! Stretch those creamy hamstrings! I wanna see the sweat coming out of your pores!

But in all seriousness, though. This will be first and foremost a PL/OLY/Strongman gym. I want guys to feel to comfortable and be able to lift/slam shit without being nagged by the annoying gym attendants.

Just to let you know TS I have a lot of respect for you. That's what you love and your working hard to share it. Awesome stuff, let us know how it goes and good luck.

Just to let you know TS I have a lot of respect for you. That's what you love and your working hard to share it. Awesome stuff, let us know how it goes and good luck.

Aww, shucks. *blushes* You shouldn't have, darlin'.

Yeah, I don't know how long it'll take but goddamnit, it will happen.

Just an idea, you can also market your gym to independent personal trainers. They schedule blocks of time at your gym, bring their clients in to train, and they pay you an hourly facility fee.

Trainers are probably less expensive to market to, and you can let them deal directly with the nerds and soccer moms. Plus you probably already know some trainers.

I used to train at a gym that does primarily that as their business model, and they're still open a couple years later, so that's a good sign.

+ 1 on this. Good luck, TS.:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back