Trying my hand at making knives

Finally down the home stretch on both knives. Here's the latest photo update.

The micarta handled one just needs the counter sink holes touched up a bit and the screws tightened down. Blade was hand sanded to 1500 grit.
qypo6Ac.jpg

9cqbT1T.jpg

My G10 handled one I am using vinegar to force patina the blade to give it a gray/black color depending on how well it works. Here is the blade, pre-vinegar soak.

weF0777.jpg

Here is what it is looking like so far after vinegar treatments.

YaOcJgT.jpg
Looking great man, Same with you Higus

I've made few too, really enjoyable hobby for the most part

one I finished recently edge quenched 1084 steel
Ck43g9k.jpg

bKQPEr0.jpg

The two I'm working on now, big ones sup9(australian 5160 basically)steel little ones 1075 steel
XqbjxHh.jpg

lulX8EN.jpg

And my forge
PcSu9ox.jpg

Ck43g9k.jpg

bKQPEr0.jpg

The two I'm working on now, big ones sup9(australian 5160 basically)steel little ones 1075 steel
XqbjxHh.jpg

lulX8EN.jpg

And my forge
PcSu9ox.jpg
I love the copper bolster on that knife. So classy!

I love the copper bolster on that knife. So classy!
Was a pain in the arse to fit it and it's very far from perfect haha. need to get some better quality jewellers files ones I've got are terrible

Ck43g9k.jpg

bKQPEr0.jpg

XqbjxHh.jpg

lulX8EN.jpg

And my forge
PcSu9ox.jpg
Great work man.

Waiting to finish my two knives. Need a bit more spacer material so the screws sit flush. Hoping to order them this week.

Great work man.

Waiting to finish my two knives. Need a bit more spacer material so the screws sit flush. Hoping to order them this week.
Pretty cool seeing other sherdoggers making knives, always forget about this sub forum

Just doing stock removal at the moment. Don't really have space for a shop set up for an anvil.

Debating getting a stake anvil if I can find a suitable stump to use as a base that I can then wheel in and out of the garage.

May have to wait until I am back in a house where I can set up a shop in the back.

Nothing wrong with stock removel

Have you looked into a piece of railway track for a starter anvil? They go alright. If you were in Australia you could have my old one but I'm assuming your in the states?

Nothing wrong with stock removel

Have you looked into a piece of railway track for a starter anvil? They go alright. If you were in Australia you could have my old one but I'm assuming your in the states?
Yeah I'm in southern California. Railway track piece may be harder to find then dropping the $150ish for a stake anvil.

Back