Trying my hand at making knives

I have a work sharp. It's great for sharpening, but there's no way the model I have could do a bevel from scratch without blowing out the motor.

Ok due to a bunch of work nonsense and some other issues I finally got around to making some progress on this project.

The kitchen paring knife is maybe half to 3/4 done. A bit more filing then some sanding to smooth it out. Still need to drill holes for the handle. This one will have a wood handle with brass bolster.

Used Jantz Knife Supply and ordered the handle slabs, brass and rivets to attach it. Should be here in a few days. Also used hightemperaturetools.com to order a few firebricks and some Insawool, refractory mortar and liner. Going to use the bricks to make a small 2 brick forge and the liner, Insawool and refractory to make a paint can forge. Just need to go to Lowes or Home Depot to get a Bernzomatic torch.

The other one is still a rough outline and needs a lot of filing to get to form before I can start beveling the edges.

What I have learned so far is not having a belt grinder makes this process very slow. The closer to the cut out form you can get the less work you have to do. Otherwise it is a pain in the ass to file things down. My Dremel cut off wheels and grinding wheel have been a huge help.

Hoping to get more done today. So far I've been having a blast when I get to work on it. Would be easier if I had a dedicated workspace in my garage or a backyard with a work shed.

Ok after some work I got the second one ready for beveling.

Last edited:
The paring knife is making progress. I ordered handle scales, rivers and brass bar stock from Jantz Knife Supply to complete it.

Here's where it stands now. Rough handle shape is done, brass bolsters are curto rough size as well. Now I need to finish some sanding and then its ready for heat treat.

The handle scales need to be shaped and formed still too but I'm making progress.

@Protectandserve

wskts-ko-front_3.jpg

WSWSKTSKO.jpg

45478_1_400x400.jpg

45478_400x400.jpg

45478_2_400x400.jpg

Random hobbyist, first 6 mins is talking, explaining how it works and whatnot. Skip to 6:40 to see it in action.

The work sharp Ken onion is about $130 and the Ken Onion grinding attachment is about $80. But it could save you hours of time and possibly make it even more enjoyable.

Ok bought the work sharp and it is awesome. Shaped both handle slabs quickly and helped with some touch ups on blade shape.

Going to order some G10 and micarta slabs for two other projects.

Also got the stuff for my paint can forge so I can heat treat. It'll probably take about 3 days to get it set up. I will add pictures of it as I go.

I'm really enjoying working on these projects and will be happy when I have a finished project or two done. Its almost therapeutic to be creating things with my hands tools.

Ok bought the work sharp and it is awesome. Shaped both handle slabs quickly and helped with some touch ups on blade shape.

Going to order some G10 and micarta slabs for two other projects.

Also got the stuff for my paint can forge so I can heat treat. It'll probably take about 3 days to get it set up. I will add pictures of it as I go.

I'm really enjoying working on these projects and will be happy when I have a finished project or two done. Its almost therapeutic to be creating things with my hands tools.

Looking forward to seeing it. Makes me want to try my hand at it as well.

Looks great! My buddy did a similiar project last summer. Made a small forge out of bricks and a hand torch and then took a few old rail road spikes and hammered them into knives. I know it sounds super ghetto but they turned out looking really nice. I'll post a few photos when I get home

Ok finally got the time to heat treat my first two knives. Used a torch and two fire bricks. (I will try and build a one brick forge and coffee can forge today, had to wait for weather to warm up so refractory coating can dry.)

Quenched in Canola Oil

Used a magnet to tell if blade had reached critical temperature for both. Didn't take much time to heat the blade. Then I edge quenched them in the oil.

Here's what they both looked like post quench and with a little clean up.

Then it was three cycles in the oven at 400 for an hour to temper them so they aren't brittle. Here is what they look like fresh out from their third temper cycle. (Apparently 3 cycles is a technique to ensure you get a uniform temper and don't have any spots that are brittle.)

Pretty happy with it so far. Will use the Ken Onion Blade Grinder to put an edge on them this afternoon and polish them up. Will update with more pics and results. (Hopefully I didn't fuck up my heat treat and they will hold an edge...)

Ok finally got the time to heat treat my first two knives. Used a torch and two fire bricks. (I will try and build a one brick forge and coffee can forge today, had to wait for weather to warm up so refractory coating can dry.)

Quenched in Canola Oil

Used a magnet to tell if blade had reached critical temperature for both. Didn't take much time to heat the blade. Then I edge quenched them in the oil.

Here's what they both looked like post quench and with a little clean up.

Then it was three cycles in the oven at 400 for an hour to temper them so they aren't brittle. Here is what they look like fresh out from their third temper cycle. (Apparently 3 cycles is a technique to ensure you get a uniform temper and don't have any spots that are brittle.)

Pretty happy with it so far. Will use the Ken Onion Blade Grinder to put an edge on them this afternoon and polish them up. Will update with more pics and results. (Hopefully I didn't fuck up my heat treat and they will hold an edge...)

If you passed the magent test, you should be fine. You can do a file test to make sure the heat treatment stuck just in case. Run a metal file across the surface of the blade. If the teeth grab, your metal is soft. If the teeth slide on the surface and make a glass-like sound, you are good to go.

^Good point. Did that too. Did not bite and made the glassy sound that it was supposed to. Trying to get my paring knife ready for final assembly. Handle slabs are shaped, rivets are ready. Just need to clean the blade up and sharpen it. Then assembly time.

My field knife needs the brass guard cut out and then soldered on, in addition to the blade sharpened and cleaned up.

Next two will be some tactical fixed blades. They are just blanks cut to shape now though...

This thread got me hooked on fucking Man at Arms. Goddamnit.

This thread got me hooked on fucking Man at Arms. Goddamnit.
You might want to check out "Forged in Fire" on History Channel. It's a knife/weapon blacksmithing competition. Ilya from M@A:R was a competitor on one episode.

Awesome thread.

I find metallurgy very interesting and obviously knives and swords as well.

What I find crazy is how people in ancient times turned iron ore into swords.

Iron ore looks like a random shitty rock to me FFS.

Finally getting down to making my paint can and brick forge today. I'll add pictures tomorrow.

Awesome thread.

I find metallurgy very interesting and obviously knives and swords as well.

What I find crazy is how people in ancient times turned iron ore into swords.

Iron ore looks like a random shitty rock to me FFS.

How they discovered the processess really perplexes me. It is not like with obsidian with which you accidently drop it, and and sharp edges are produced automatically.

And glass too. They must have been shown by ancient aliens.

Ok finally getting around to updating this thread. I've been really limited on my time to work on this project due to various issues with work and home life.

Since my last update, i finished the paint can forge which took a bit over 2 weeks due to cool weather and waiting for refractory mortar to dry and then adding the ITC100(which reflects heat) to the interior. I was able to fire it up and heat treat two more knives.
kZNMZqH.jpg

CWyl1b1.jpg

CCd3EAd.jpg

Of those two, I've got handles rough shaped and some of the preliminary finish sanding done on the blade. Hand sanding takes forever.

Here is the test for of one before I finish the sanding of the blade, put an edge on it and glue up the handle.

t1QFYQw.jpg

The handle is green micarta with some torx screws to fasten it. Handle material needs to be sanded to final shape and texture still.

I'll hopefully have this one and the other finished early next week if I get a chance to work on them.

Ok finally getting around to updating this thread. I've been really limited on my time to work on this project due to various issues with work and home life.

Since my last update, i finished the paint can forge which took a bit over 2 weeks due to cool weather and waiting for refractory mortar to dry and then adding the ITC100(which reflects heat) to the interior. I was able to fire it up and heat treat two more knives.
kZNMZqH.jpg

CWyl1b1.jpg

CCd3EAd.jpg

Of those two, I've got handles rough shaped and some of the preliminary finish sanding done on the blade. Hand sanding takes forever.

Here is the test for of one before I finish the sanding of the blade, put an edge on it and glue up the handle.

t1QFYQw.jpg

The handle is green micarta with some torx screws to fasten it. Handle material needs to be sanded to final shape and texture still.

I'll hopefully have this one and the other finished early next week if I get a chance to work on them.

Looks good man. Damn that looks like a fun hobby.

Finally down the home stretch on both knives. Here's the latest photo update.

The micarta handled one just needs the counter sink holes touched up a bit and the screws tightened down. Blade was hand sanded to 1500 grit.
qypo6Ac.jpg

9cqbT1T.jpg

My G10 handled one I am using vinegar to force patina the blade to give it a gray/black color depending on how well it works. Here is the blade, pre-vinegar soak.

weF0777.jpg

Here is what it is looking like so far after vinegar treatments.

YaOcJgT.jpg

Last edited:
Back