Truth - 2015 film about the "Bush documents" controversy with Robert Redford and Cate Blanchett

G

Guestx

If you think hard enough, I'm sure a lot of you guys will remember the controversy that broke about George Bush's National Guard service when he was running for re-election. There were significant questions surrounding whether or not he used his family's influence to get into the Guard to avoid going to Vietnam, and whether or not he fulfilled his service in the Guard honorably.

A 60 Minutes exposé brought this story to light and the anchor of the story were various copies of documents that supposedly backed up the narrative that Bush's service record was questionable at best.

hqdefault.jpg

However, the documents' veracity was later brought into question, with the general conclusion being that the documents were forgeries. It was a big deal and Dan Rather was pushed out of CBS after 40 years of employment because of it.

Here's an interesting page on Rather and the docs:

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/art...ne_Ever_Established_the_Documents_Were_Forged

Anyway, a few years ago a movie was made about this whole ordeal called Truth, starring Robert Redford and Cate Blanchett. Dennis Quaid is also in it.

I watched it last night and it's actually pretty good. It's weird that it just came and went and basically no one has even heard of it. It does try, on some level, to exonerate the team that worked on the story and has a pretty clear left-leaning bias, but if you can get past that then it's definitely worth a watch.

Good film. I thought it was overlooked.

Good film. I thought it was overlooked.

It's weird that it had such big names but it seems to not have been promoted AT ALL. I had never even heard of the film until someone mentioned it to me the other day.

According to Mojo, it only made $2.5 million theatrically.

Back