Trump's Ed. Pick with No Teaching or Admistrative Experience

luckyshot

Nazi Punks Fuck Off
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Trump's pick for Secretary of Education, Besty Devos has never attended a public school. Nor has she ever worked in a school of any kind, at any level. Nor does she have political experience, for what that's worth.

She is a wealthy (billionaire) heiress who has used her money and connections to open up a web of charter schools in Michigan. The charter schools she has opened are among the worst performing schools in the state.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/betsy-devos-michigan-school-experiment-232399

She has no experience or understanding of fundamental issues and debates in education, as was shown when Senator Franken asked her to explain the difference between evaluation based on "proficiency" and "growth" and she could not.

She also said that student debt has increased by 980% in the last 8 years, which is just a made up number (it has increased 118%).

She is ignorant on issues and her policies have track record of failure in her own home state. So what is her qualification, you might ask? Her family is among the largest national donors to the Republican party
“My family is the largest single contributor of soft money to the national Republican party,” she wrote in a 1997 editorial for Roll Call. “I have decided, however, to stop taking offense at the suggestion that we are buying influence. Now I simply concede the point. They are right. We do expect some things in return.”
http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...amily-amway-michigan-politics-religion-214631

She has many investments in companies that could benefit greatly if public education money were to be funneled into charter schools.

Ms. DeVos, a billionaire with a complex web of investments, including in companies that stand to win or lose from federal education policy, was the first nominee of President-elect Donald J. Trump to have a Senate hearing without completing an ethics review on how she planned to avoid conflicts of interest. Democrats pointed out that in the past, Republicans had insisted that no hearings be conducted before those reviews were complete
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/17/us/politics/betsy-devos-education-senate-hearing.html

This is NOT the way America is supposed to work.

Tim Kaine destroyed her, by the way, for what that's worth:

Last edited:
I feel like Trump just dumped the work of picking his administration to a gleeful Republican lackey. There's no reason for him to pick these Republican-friendly people, the Republicans hated him during the primaries but he won in spite of them.

I hope this won't turn out like Bloomberg & Cathy Black.

This woman is easily the least qualified person for her chosen cabinet position. Listening to her talk yesterday was painful. Honestly, if she interviewed for a substitute teaching position, she would be laughed out of building with some of the things she said.

lol, this lady was AGAINST Trump, she put all her money and support behind Jeb, cuz she's one of the ppl responsible for no child left behind, G.Bush's initiative.

Hopefully the Senate refuses to confirm her.

Who cares ? Look what progressive led public education has given us ;

npiprotestorfag.jpeg

160112165335-01-detroit-sickout-protest-exlarge-169.jpg

1453934506699.jpg

yea right, she and her entire family of rich ppl would destroy the Senate. Her own considerable donations, along with her Amway husband and Blackwater brother make her untouchable.

Who cares ? Look what progressive led public education has given us ;
Ah, the classic rationale of a Trumpster: "How much worse could it be?"

We may be about to find out, sausage king, we may be about to find out.

Highly unlikely. She only needs a simple majority. This will be a straight party line vote. Any Republican voting against a Devos might as well just "Allahu Akbar" himself on the Senate floor.

it can only get better, is what i'm saying
Don't worry, it can always get worse. Just add a chance for wealthy corporations to scoop the federal education budget and watch the vultures circle.

She was asked whether she believes that all schools that receive federal funding (public, public charter or private) would be required to meet the requirements of IDEA.

Her answer: She would leave it up to the state.

The dummy didn't even know that IDEA is a FEDERAL law.

Later on, they literally took time out of the hearing to explain what this law was to her. I'm not a teacher. I don't work in education, but I seem to have a better grasp of the education system than the nominee for Secretary of Education?

She was asked whether she believes that all schools that receive federal funding (public, public charter or private) would be required to meet the requirements of IDEA.

Her answer: She would leave it up to the state.

The dummy didn't even know that IDEA is a FEDERAL law.

Later on, they literally took time out of the hearing to explain what this law was to her. I'm not a teacher. I don't work in education, but I seem to have a better grasp of the education system than the nominee for Secretary of Education?

She doesn't want to deal with any of that. She simply wants public money to be siphoned away from public schools towards her for profit charter and religious schools while allowing them to ignore any federal standards that should go along with the attached funding. It's disgusting.

http://inhomelandsecurity.com/inexperience-egotism-govern-obamas-foreign-policy/

"In previous administrations, presidents have always had a close confidant in foreign affairs. Almost always, it was someone who had extensive experience in the international arena. President Obama chose to use someone without experience and who had, ironically, received his master’s degree in creative writing."

*I'm going to add this later post of mine to this original one:

Don't play politics? You just spun foreign-affairs-guru, of whom the New York Times said, "[Ben Rhodes] is, according to the consensus of the two dozen current and former White House insiders I talked to, the single most influential voice shaping American foreign policy aside from Potus himself," into "speech writer."

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/08/magazine/the-aspiring-novelist-who-became-obamas-foreign-policy-guru.html?_r=0

I earlier explained that Devos is a Conservative Christian activist - someone who's in the past criticized Trump (regarding pussy-gate). So, politics being what they are, Obama filled his administration with Muslim-activists and Black-issue-activists (both labeled differently but they are what they are) who most certainly have affected policy and contributed to the divisiveness in America that we see right now.

A good article on Betsy Devos:

https://edtechtimes.com/2016/11/30/betsy-devos-busting-myths-trumps-secretary-of-education-pick/

"DeVos has been called unqualified, but others argue she is just as qualified as many previous secretaries of education.

So, how does she compare to other secretaries of education, such as recently resigned education secretary Arne Duncan? Both Duncan and DeVos were educated at private colleges (DeVos at Michigan’s Calvin College and Duncan at Harvard). They both educated their children, at least in part, at private schools. And they both had unconventional routes to the office of Secretary of Education."

"The current U.S. Secretary of Education, John B. King, Jr., as described in his U.S. Department of Education biography, received his bachelor’s degree at Harvard and holds master’s and doctoral degrees from Columbia University’s Teachers College. Before becoming Secretary, King was the principal senior advisor in the Department of Education.

A Truman Scholar and a recipient of the James Madison Memorial Fellowship for teaching, King had previously served as a high school social studies teacher, as a co-founder and co-director of Roxbury Preparatory Charter School, as the managing director of a charter management group, and as the commissioner of education in New York.

Clearly a variety of paths can lead to the office of Secretary. DeVos’s meteoric rise from local education to the national stage isn’t unprecedented, nor is her lack of teaching experience. As a matter of fact, according to Education Week, only four of the eleven Secretaries of Education had K-12 teaching experience.

Experience aside, only time will tell what effect DeVos will have on U.S. education. But one thing we do know, is that by selecting Betsy DeVos as U.S. Secretary of Education, President-elect Donald Trump has signaled his continued interest in his campaign promise to support school choice.

'This pick really shows, you know, school choice issues will be the core of Trump’s education agenda,' NPR’s Eric Westervelt told All Things Considered."

Last edited:
it can only get better, is what i'm saying

Considering when she got influence in Detroit she closed public schools and test scores overall got worse, i'm gonna have to say you're not right here.

Back