Trump's Dept of Justice sides with Christian Cake Baker, Going to Supreme Court.

Should this Christian baker be fined for not baking gay wedding cakes?

• Total voters
R

ripskater

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...b822a46da5b_story.html?utm_term=.7be1eafe91de
In a major upcoming Supreme Court case that weighs equal rights with religious liberty, the Trump administration on Thursday sided with a Colorado baker who refused to bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple.

The Department of Justice on Thursday filed a brief on behalf of baker Jack Phillips, who was found to have violated the Colorado Anti-Discrimination Act by refusing to created a cake to celebrate the marriage of Charlie Craig and David Mullins in 2012.

Taking that case, along with Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, would make the coming Supreme Court term the most important for gay rights issues since the justices voted 5 to 4 in 2015 to find a constitutional right for same-sex couples to marry.

He is free to deny baking anyone a cake for any reason.. and we're free to stop supporting his business because of it.

whats a gay wedding cake. A product they dont offer? Or just a cake that they didnt want to sell someone because they are bigots.

whats a gay wedding cake. A product they dont offer? Or just a cake that they didnt want to sell someone because they are bigots.
A product he does not offer.

He does not make wedding cakes now for hetero or homo weddings.

they specialize in penis butter cakes & cream pies.

He is free to deny baking anyone a cake for any reason.. and we're free to stop supporting his business because of it.
This is the correct stance.
I eat at Chik Filet. There gay hating seasoning they use on their chicken fingers are yummy.
I find Chik Filet gay hating repulsive but damn I love their food.

It's their private business. They should have every right to discriminate for whatever reason.

You're entitled to nothing, snowflake.

One side of me thinks he should have the right to refuse to make a cake that he doesn't want to make. For example, Not many would have a problem with him if he refused to make a cake with swastikas on it for a bunch of nazis. (No. I am not comparing gay marriage to nazis)

The other side thinks that he should stop projecting his personal believes onto a fucking wedding cake.

In the end, I believe it's his bakery and he should have the right to refuse to make a gay wedding cake.

bigots gonna bigot. Who really cares tbh

Seems like an obvious loss to me but still enough gray to be interesting.

The interesting thing to me is wondering how many people realize that if the baker wins then this legal argument applies to Muslims and Islam and actually increases the chances for Sharia law.

How? Because then any Muslim can make the argument that certain state laws are an infringement on his religious practices and he should be allowed to disregard those state and federal laws to stay in line with his deeply held religious positions.

Go to another baker, I'm sure there are tons in the area who will. But they just want to make a spectacle of this one and shine the light on themselves. Courts should not be forced to make any business violate their beliefs for anything.

It's their private business. They should have every right to discriminate for whatever reason.

You're entitled to nothing, snowflake.

You are wrong, legally, morally, and in all other ways. Why do you think this statement is true?

The bigger question is if you gay why would you want someone who is anti gay make you a cake in your biggest day. Forcing someone like this will lead to them making bad cake. Then the next legal argument starts. This baker made me a bad cake cause im gay

I hope the baker wins. People should be free to decide not to contribute to the celebration of something they find wrong.

Seems like an obvious loss to me but still enough gray to be interesting.

The interesting thing to me is wondering how many people realize that if the baker wins then this legal argument applies to Muslims and Islam and actually increases the chances for Sharia law.

How? Because then any Muslim can make the argument that certain state laws are an infringement on his religious practices and he should be allowed to disregard those state and federal laws to stay in line with his deeply held religious positions.

Refusing to make a cake is so far away from sharia law it's not even funny. Were you purposely being ridiculous with this comment or do you actually believe this? Sharia law directly impedes on another persons rights. There are no rights about a damn cake.

I hope the baker wins. People should be free to decide not to contribute to the celebration of something they find wrong.
I think the Christian Baker will win at the Supreme Court

And if so, it's gonna create a storm among the LGBTQ.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...b822a46da5b_story.html?utm_term=.7be1eafe91de
In a major upcoming Supreme Court case that weighs equal rights with religious liberty, the Trump administration on Thursday sided with a Colorado baker who refused to bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple.

The Department of Justice on Thursday filed a brief on behalf of baker Jack Phillips, who was found to have violated the Colorado Anti-Discrimination Act by refusing to created a cake to celebrate the marriage of Charlie Craig and David Mullins in 2012.

Taking that case, along with Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, would make the coming Supreme Court term the most important for gay rights issues since the justices voted 5 to 4 in 2015 to find a constitutional right for same-sex couples to marry.

i think you should have a right to be a complete dick if you want to be.

but at what point should society draw the line over "religious freedom?" if a buddhist becomes a cop, but says that he cant physically restrain people or shoot at anyone....what are we to do?

What about the existence of minorities?

History has some really sobering commentary on this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Negro_Motorist_Green_Book

xMv5DCC.jpg

Back