TrumpetDan's jiu jitsu training log

On my 3rd week of 3x/day training sessions. I am still injury free thank goodness, though my hips are an area to watch at the moment. I am worried about overuse there.

Pretty much all of my energy is devoted to recovery when not on the mat. I try not to move and RICE when home and teaching kids classes. My diet is as clean as it gets but that also brought its own problems. I had a slight issue with getting enough sodium due to eating non processed wholesome foods at every meal combined with sweating so much because of the training. Simply for convenience/price, ive just been drinking water with salt in it and it fixed the problem quickly.

In order to achieve the required mat time, I have brought the intensity of my training down and brought up my mental concentration. Im always experimenting and having a new idea or concept to reflect on. When the body feels bad, I do positions that are super easy on the body....double guard pull, having my back taken ect... I really need to temper my enthusiasm on Mondays and Tuesdays because the training is good yet I need to pace myself through the week. Wednesdays are the hardest physically.

The net result of my training has been very good. I have achieved some things on the mat that I have never done.

Despite going light, I do have a new 6th gear. Its not physical in terms of speed...more like the mental reaction time in the ability to see the opportunities available to me.

Last week my wife gave birth to our 2nd son, Zachary. Speaking of which...he just woke up. Cliffs notes on the rest...

1. Doing an App with BudoVideos
2. Took 4 kids from the comp team to a tournament. 3 golds, 1 silver
3. We have 6 trumpets in the after school program with 2 more in the mail

Filmed a closed guard app for BudoVideos this last weekend. Budo Jake said he wants to call it "Science of the Closed Guard"

I put a lot of details in there that I have not covered on video before. It will take a few months to edit and I will go on This Week In BJJ as a guest to promo it.

budovideosshoot.jpg

Getting very serious about launching an online academy in my head. I would much prefer to wait until I receive my black belt, though these websites can take quite a while to work out the bugs. Perhaps a more mature version of the product will launched as a result?

Just got the call to be a commentator for worlds on Sat and Sunday. I cant even tell you how excited I am. SATURDAY AND SUNDAY!!!!!!!

I put together this highlight of the kids competition team. They have been doing well.

Our after school program got a scholarship from the LA Jazz Society to buy some more trumpets. We went and serenaded everybody at the Vibe Summit XXI.

scholarship.jpg

It sounded more or less like this.

The kids got to see some world class jazz from the first row. It was pretty neat.

It gave me the idea to take the kids to a drum corps show which 10 of us went to this evening. It was pretty fun exposing everybody to drum corps for the first time. We toured the lot when Crossmen, Pacific Crest and Blue Knights were warming up. Not a bad selection to represent what corps are all about up close.

In the lot we watched PC's battery, Crossmens front ensemble, Blue Knights Guard, and Blue Knights hornline. Nothing like sitting 20 feet away from a world class hornline. Blue Knights were working a section of their show where they were adding the instruments one at a time over an important impact section of their show. They did air and fingers for a while...then added one section at a time. It was the perfect intro for the kids because it built up the whole thing perfectly. You should have seen their faces. If you have never experienced an 80 person horn line up close like that...its quite a face peeling, in the moment, true surround sound experience. No electronic amplification...only a bunch of hyper dedicated 19 year old musician-athletes giving their all through their acoustic instruments that we and a handful of others were witness too. Neat to share the experience with the kids. It felt like my first time.

hornline1.jpg

It sounded more or less like this for the hornline

drumline.jpg

The above picture sounded like this:

All the kids liked the Blue Devils show the best. I think they have a good chance at winning this year too.

Crazy ideas have been floating around my head. I want to have a drum corps...something to compete with BDC. Im only half serious. It would need to be all day, every day for the summer. Corps in the morning...BJJ and chess when its hot in the afternoon...Corps in the evening. Maybe do a show or 2 and not really worry about scores too much
I made some contacts tonight with some local guys people that would allow me to make a bit of crazy idea a reality. Well see. I could get the kids AP credits for high school too. Pretty cool for 11 year olds to already have AP credit. I have a lot of exciting ideas in the works currently and it leaves me with little time for more grand ideas.

A FM radio station in LA did some coverage on our after school program tonight. They asked for me to be on the show this evening as a guest, but I had to decline as I had already organized the drum corps outing. Ill have to dig up the podcast as the still talked about the program. Spiffy.

I have a major head injury which has kept me off the mats for a month. Hopefully ill be back soon. Such a shame as I was building quite a bit of momentum with my training. Feeling better every day now and im back to being able to think and speak clearly.

Last edited:
Jesus Christ, Dan. Be careful with your head, dude, you need that.

As always, I'm impressed with your hustle.

I edited together a promo video for our after school program. Check it out.

I'm a black belt.

Congrats! We've all been following/stalking your journey for a long time. Your early instructionals had a pretty big impact back when I started training. Do a promotion post on reddit as well! :icon_lol:

I have been working 12 hour days...every day.

Highlights:

I will be launching an instructional website, JiuJitsu.net. Same thing as everybody else with a monthly subscription model. Unlike grappingbasics, this is a professional endeavor. It has my full creative force, time and finances backing it. Sites like Marcelo, Mendes, Caio and Galvao are relatively straightforward. I will do things that no site is even remotely attempting in terms of online instruction. The specifics of which, I will elaborate on later.

The kids after school program is a joy this year. They are playing in their first chess tournament as well as partaking in the Blue Devils "experience camp" in December. They have been learning how to march and play. We now have 2 Yamaha 203 mellos and 1 Yamaha 204 mello, 1 301 Yamaha bari and a bunch of Eastman trumpets. The sound is becoming more balanced each day.

My head is still not 100%. I wish to compete and train 3x per day again as soon as my body lets me. I had worked back up to 2 a days, but my head said no when I pushed my training this past monday. I am pulling back the throttle for the time being.

Apparently I am now the commentator for the IBJJF. How did this happen? haha...I have been very busy the past few months in this regard.

Benny is now 3-1 in the UFC. He came by the day he got back from Brazil after his recent fight.

JiuJitsu.net has occupied much of my time. Programming starts tomorrow with a small army of coders.

Part of what I am doing is graphing Jiu-Jitsu in a weighted graph. The labor on my end is daunting, but I am not discouraged. With this, I am able to perform sophisticated applications of graph theory that will do some things that will improve the ability to teach online by a factor of 10.

Heres a small segment of the "network" (get it? jiujitsu.NET). This is the database that will power the sites functionality. Notice how alot of edges are pointing towards the black dot in the center? Most of the techniques in this section are passing the guard, so they naturally lead to that node.
graph2.jpg

Zoomed in a bit on the lower left portion so you can see the techniques themselves. Each technique has 15 properties which allows for some pretty great features.

graph.jpg

I view this site as my magnum opus.

Last edited:
Have you talked with Budo videos about having "in competition" clips for techniques?

The website is coming a long! Its been such hard work and my life has been very busy. There are many aspects to the website with production/filming, database creation, website function/coding being the 3 main branches of time suckers. When you add that in to running the gym, being a dad/husband and providing commentary, I have only the moments where I am driving to the gym where I am doing something un structured.

Here is a bit about the website. Tell a friend:

I go through a lot of effort to ensure solid audio quality on the videos. Its the most important thing. I installed a studio boom arm in the ceiling of the academy that can be placed as needed for the shots to act as a boom operator. Im using an NTG3...something I debated back and forth with between a hyper and interference tube. Most of the room is covered in sound blankets when recording. Its cutting down on the road/ambient noise quite nicely and the reflections in the room. Shotguns are typically a poor choice for indoor shoots because of the reflections in the room compromise with the way the interference tubes are intended to work work. The blankets (and 12 oversized foam beanbags for my after school program) have pretty much everything under control in this area. Im recording 48k at 24 bit through a Quad Capture directly into Vegas Pro. Id be comfortable in calling it industry standard audio for most of the videos, though with some techniques lack of boom operator is more noticeable. I considered upgrading the Rode to a Schoeps, but the cost/benefit ratio wasnt there.

On the video side I purchased a sony x70 camera. Its so so. You get what you pay for I guess. $2200 is going to get you pretty low quality. The auto focus is quite poor compared to sonys DSLR line up. Normally this is a non issue as manual focus is the standard, but im giving the camera to non professional camera men. Also on the pretty mediocre side is the lens. I cant believe the vignetting this thing gets. On the plus side, its the cheapest camera on the market with professional outputs (sdi). Im not using the SDI out to the computer yet, and im recording onto an avchd codec. Yuck. It has a new xavc codec which is much closer to broadcast quality, but no NLE supports it yet - not even sonys own NLE! Ill eventually record in xavc or probably uncompressed via sdi. I kinda wish I still had an Ex1 or ex3 for these sessions. I think it would do better. I have a semi decent fluid head tripod (No, not those aweful "fluid head tripods" for a couple of hundred bucks). Its about $1600 new, but with a skilled operator it can rival the more expensive fluid heads. Support gear is so important. Camera is almost the least important.

Overall im happy with the production level given the fact that im really the talent and in charge of production. I only need 2 (uki and camera guy) to record and produce decent results with non trained staff. It takes about 30 min to set up in a pinch.

So far ive filmed 70 techniques which works out to 140 videos (each technique has a long and short version).

Im really excited! Its 2AM. I teach at 7AM tomorrow morning.

The mind map section on jiujitsu.net is now working at a speed that is up to my standards. In the video above I was hiding some deficiencies well. I can finally expand, move, dim and hide nodes at a speed that does not interfere with the overall experience of the website. Its amazing. This is a huge accomplishment for the site to function the way I have been telling people it will function. Lots of programmers worked really hard on that. You should see it. To licence just the mind map technology is $15,000 plus monthly upkeep. We did it ourselves..and its good. Only fun fine tuning left.

Believe me, for the past year ive been going back and forth thinking this is going to be an epic disaster to a great success. Tonight is the night where I really believe how amazing the site is going to be. Its not 100% yet, and it might not be absolutely perfect for launch....but its gonna blow people out of the water regardless. I just have to not mess up at mile 20 of the marathon. The inside of the site is REALLY coming a long, the landing page sucks. Better than the other way around I guess.

Good vibes.

I did the commentary for the worlds this weekend. I feel that im finally performing up to standard, all be it with a little bit more work to do. I take it really seriously because peoples impression of the event, and even jiu jitsu as a whole, is so directly tied to how well I perform. If im off, the matches feel flat and unexciting with the typical "bjj is boring" ect comments.

For example, watch this one. Honestly, it was a pretty boring match for 90% of it. The end that was crazy, but I think sean and I did a good job of setting up a story, educating the audience about rules, inserting random factoids and bringing it home at the end.

Back