Trump won because of racial resentment (studies find)

Throttlehead

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
The past year of research has made it very clear: Trump won because of racial resentment

More than a year after President Donald Trump won the election, there are still some questions about what drove him to victory: Was it genuine anxiety about the state of the economy? Or was it racism and racial resentment?

Over at the Washington Post, researchers Matthew Fowler, Vladimir Medenica, and Cathy Cohen have published the results of a new survey on these questions, with a focus on the 41 percent of white millennials who voted for Trump and the sense of “white vulnerability” that motivated them. The conclusion is very clear:

Contrary to what some have suggested, white millennial Trump voters were not in more economically precarious situations than non-Trump voters. Fully 86 percent of them reported being employed, a rate similar to non-Trump voters; and they were 14 percent less likely to be low income than white voters who did not support Trump. Employment and income were not significantly related to that sense of white vulnerability.

So what was? Racial resentment.

Even when controlling for partisanship, ideology, region and a host of other factors, white millennials fit Michael Tesler’s analysis, explored here. As he put it, economic anxiety isn’t driving racial resentment; rather, racial resentment is driving economic anxiety. We found, as he has in a larger population, that racial resentment is the biggest predictor of white vulnerability among white millennials. Economic variables like education, income and employment made a negligible difference.

Read link above for full article.

That probably played into it, but black people not coming to the polls anywhere near where they did for Obama, and Hilary being nothing but utter dog shit most likely pulled more weight in Trump winning. It sure wasn't his or Hilary's policies, seeing as they spent the entire campaign doing nothing but slinging their feces at each other, which is a game Trump is king of.

WqyKiRb.gif

I don't think vulnerability and resentment have the same meaning to be fair.

Here are how the questions for anyone who is curious:

1) whether whites were “economically losing ground through no fault of their own”; 2) whether discrimination against whites was “as big a problem as that against Blacks and other minorities”; and 3) if minorities overtaking whites as the majority of the U.S. population by 2050 would “strengthen or weaken the country.”

White people just wanted a white president according to scienceses and shit!

<{cuts}>

Shit poster like you replied, so maybe.

You alt-right people are the biggest snowflakes ever, plug your ears and cover your eyes.

Why did you go with the Vox headline instead of the Washington Post headline?

Why 41 percent of white millennials voted for Trump

Vs.

The past year of research has made it very clear: Trump won because of racial resentment

Didn't bother to read the race-bating OP. But I'm curious, does the resentment stem from all the white/male vilification over the last number of years? After that I'm confused because resentment usualy stems from losing out. And that's the opposite of privilege.

Last edited:
Didn't bother to read the race-bating OP. But I'm curious, does the resentment stem from all the white/male vilification over the last number of years? After that I'm confused because resentment usual stems from losing out. And that's the opposite of privilege.

I don't think Social Justice was factored into the report.

Also, I do not think that would be fair, too broad of a topic for a qualitative research question.

Agreed, thread title is good for click bait, but it's going to murder your discussion potential.

Like it or not trump talked a lot about how our economy is set up to benefit the rich. He talked about loop holes, which he himself benefited from. This resonated with a lot of the mild class. Stuff such as to how the trade deals hurt the middle class, he said thing the so many in the work place were saying. Clinton neglected many of the social economic issues. Many felt that in the long run her husbands policies hurt them financially.

Last edited:
I don't think Social Justice was factored into the report.\

Should be factored into the interpretation of the results. If we can control for resentment due to slavery 150 years ago we should be able to account for recent racial phenomena. Gotta be a blind mother fucker or straight up liar if you can't acknowledge the current backlash. Justified or not.

Here's my resentment. I didn't do shit to anybody because of their race and I sure as fuck won't be held accountable for the transgressions of history.

giphy.webp

Why did you go with the Vox headline instead of the Washington Post headline?

Why 41 percent of white millennials voted for Trump

Vs.

Its more descriptive ?

Is that true or did you hear it from Vox and the Washington Compost

Its more descriptive ?

Or perhaps more partisan and vitriolic.

If we want to "score points" and argue, make divisions further, and all of that, I think Vox is the way to go.

If we want to discuss what this means, the Post headline fits.

Should be factored into the interpretation of the results. If we can control for resentment due to slavery 150 years ago we should be able to account for recent racial phenomena. Gotta be a blind mother fucker or straight up liar if you can't acknowledge the current backlash. Justified or not.

Here's my resentment. I didn't do shit to anybody because of their race and I sure as fuck won't be held accountable for the transgressions of history.

giphy.webp

You may be right, but that would have to be conducted as a result of several more studies.

That is part of the problem with the Vox article, or Breitbart reporting, or anything about internet echo chambers.

These are preliminary results, not validation for biases.

I am not pointing at you, but rather the variety of the population that does not understand how a study works or what we actually learn from the study.

Almost everyone wants to jump to conclusions and project far into the future to condemn the thoughts and feelings of people.

I guarantee that the left/right will reflexively want to cry out "this proves racism" and "this is fake news." We will see it happen over and over again...

Disingenuous thread title. -- White millennials didn't flip the rust belt and racial resentment didnt cause the drop in minority support for the democrats.

Progressive garbage.

How do these question indicate racial resentment?

Any country with a majority population that gets flooded with immigrants is going to be weakened. The country will be broken up into enclaves. Plus lets not forget:

There will be a desire for revenge too. The hate festers and grows.

Back