Trump wins: NFL Commish Roger Goodell back tracks and now tells owners that players should stand

Now that the NFL backtracked on the anthem kneeling, will the fans return and viewership come back?

• Total voters
You think they've lost fans, or they've seen a decline in viewership on national games? Have you noticed that the player who gets the most screen time in literally every game is Peyton Manning? They have a definite star power problem, that's why the decline started before the protests.

There's a lot of reasons viewership is down. Every poll shows that. But this anthem nonsense was already the single biggest reason prior to Trump pouring gasoline on the fire. I think the uptick in the amount of time sports talk radio and ESPN et al covered the story for several weeks made things worse.

I don't think the NFL lost a large percentage of fans permanently from this, but I do think they lost 5%, maybe even a bit more. Permanently.

Combined with the absolute mess that is California football right now, that's bad news. I think this will definitely hurt them in several years when it comes time to reup the TV contracts.

There's a lot of reasons viewership is down. Every poll shows that. But this anthem nonsense was already the single biggest reason prior to Trump pouring gasoline on the fire. I think the uptick in the amount of time sports talk radio and ESPN et al covered the story for several weeks made things worse.

I don't think the NFL lost a large percentage of fans permanently from this, but I do think they lost 5%, maybe even a bit more. Permanently.

Combined with the absolute mess that is California football right now, that's bad news. I think this will definitely hurt them in several years when it comes time to reup the TV contracts.

They're a long way out from renewing the tv deal, in terms of timing, they couldn't do much better than this really, for making noise without impacting negotiations

They're a long way out from renewing the tv deal, in terms of timing, they couldn't do much better than this really, for making noise without impacting negotiations

You are right, if this had happened a few years from now, they'd be screwed worse.

However, ratings haven't gone back up yet, and they've been declining for two seasons in a row now. The NFL is in trouble, and this issue, which they still haven't resolved, is a big part of that.

I think it could impact their negotiations either way, because even if ratings do go back up, which is a big if, they underperformed expectations for two seasons. That's not going to be ignored.

Come on, man. Why you have to call him a “thug”? That’s fucked up.

Guess you got to put him in his place. Can’t have em getting uppity, emirite?

Got to love those Christian values.
I'm not calling Kaep a thug, but the others I'm referring too are thugs.

I think part of the problem is as you say, a lack of star power.

But I also think people generally are getting tired of politics pushed in their face all the time. And, quite frankly, it's all starting to take it's toll as the nastiness has really been escalating. It's not just about kneeling for the anthem. Its about an escalating nastiness going back decades and I do believe that finally we're seeing a drop in viewership from guys just like that "red neck" that just so happens to be shelling out for merchandise and tickets every year. Yes, those people are a significant part of the fanbase.

And I have to be honest, I'm surprised the NBA has the viewership that it has. I wouldn't be surprised to see a decline there as well.
I think the NBA may take a hit too. They screwed up with the Warriors and Popovich

But the NBA has the advantage of learning from some of the NFL's mistakes.

The real victory here is making it seem like this failure of a president accomplished something by having us all focused on whether or not people stand during a song.... before a game.

Congrats. Using Idiocracy to your advantage.

Where were you three weeks ago Goodell? Oh that's right, siding with the players.....until the ratings started coming in and advertisers started getting skittish. Nothing like $$$ to change your stance.
He should of tackled this a year ago he’s suck a weak ass leaded in the NFL and has been ruining the product since he took office

not tired of winning yet. war trump

I think the world is ready for the black qb. So I disagree.

Peyton does have that ability to sell himself, his image and he's funny too. Nobody else can do that right now.

Aaron Rodgers has left the Christian faith and has become way to liberal. That hurts him with star power outside of the Green Bay Wisconsin area.
Peyton Manning is an overrated rapist piece of shit.

You think they've lost fans, or they've seen a decline in viewership on national games? Have you noticed that the player who gets the most screen time in literally every game is Peyton Manning? They have a definite star power problem, that's why the decline started before the protests.
Wrong Tom Brady was always more a star.

Peyton Manning is an overrated rapist piece of shit.
I don't think he is a rapist.
I can't say much, cause I don't know, except that a lot of shady stuff was done to cover up what really happened between him and that trainer. There's only 3 people alive that know what happened in that training room that day. Sounds like the track athlete was either paid off or signed something to keep his mouth shut by the Manning machine. About the only evidence from him is a letter telling Peyton to man up and tell the truth about what happened in that training room. Because to this day, he won't talk. The girl trainer who was sexually harassed at minimum is a little nuts, I don't completely trust her word or know if it went as far as physical sexual assault. And I don't really believe the story that the Manning PR machine put out either.

I don't think he is a rapist.
I can't say much, cause I don't know, except that a lot of shady stuff was done to cover up what really happened between him and that trainer. There's only 3 people alive that know what happened in that training room that day. Sounds like the track athlete was either paid off or signed something to keep his mouth shut by the Manning machine. About the only evidence from him is a letter telling Peyton to man up and tell the truth about what happened in that training room. Because to this day, he won't talk. The girl trainer who was sexually harassed at minimum is a little nuts, I don't completely trust her word or know if it went as far as physical sexual assault. And I don't really believe the story that the Manning PR machine put out either.
Rip, teabagging=rape.

Rip, teabagging=rape.
If he teabagged that girl, that's sexual assault.

If Peyton just put his butt and crotch in that girls face and didn't touch her, then that's sexual harassment.

Neither is rape.

Last edited by a moderator:
My translation of every Roger Goodell press conference:

"Please don't fire me! I'll do anything, I'll say anything, just to keep my cushy, overpaid, over-privileged, self-important position! I don't care who I have to grovel before, just keep those NFL checks comming!"
Roger is worth around 75 million dollars. I’m sure he isn’t scared of losing his extremely relaxing job.

Roger is worth around 75 million dollars. I’m sure he isn’t scared of losing his extremely relaxing job.
He gets paid 38 million a year from what I heard sometime in the last couple years.

He gets paid 38 million a year from what I heard sometime in the last couple years.
Ok. I wasn’t sure. Thought I read it somewhere. That makes the claim that he’s scared to lose his job even more silly. He never has to work again and could live like a king if he wanted.

Back