Trump wins: NFL Commish Roger Goodell back tracks and now tells owners that players should stand

Now that the NFL backtracked on the anthem kneeling, will the fans return and viewership come back?

• Total voters
Owners might make less on ticket sales. Which is immediate.

If ratings go down, advertisement space during commercials becomes less valuable. And the NFL loses money in future years.

Do you honestly think that will happen? Recall you're halfway through the tv deal, so this could go all season and still have no real impact on anything.

Do you honestly think that will happen? Recall you're halfway through the tv deal, so this could go all season and still have no real impact on anything.
I think the NFL lost viewers and lost fans. Enough to hurt them or scare them. And enough to make them not stand by their players who want to protest the national anthem anymore.

I think the NFL lost viewers and lost fans. Enough to hurt them or scare them. And enough to make them not stand by their players who want to protest the national anthem anymore.

You think they've lost fans, or they've seen a decline in viewership on national games? Have you noticed that the player who gets the most screen time in literally every game is Peyton Manning? They have a definite star power problem, that's why the decline started before the protests.

You think they've lost fans, or they've seen a decline in viewership on national games? Have you noticed that the player who gets the most screen time in literally every game is Peyton Manning? They have a definite star power problem, that's why the decline started before the protests.
I'm actually not a fan of Peyton. You can do a google search on a number of his rumors to find out why. And I knew someone that knew him. So I'm not a fan.

But I agree he is a star. And he has a good image. That many people love. And he does have star power. And he did help ratings.

Kaepernick helped tank ratings with some other thugs.

I'm actually not a fan of Peyton. You can do a google search on a number of his rumors to find out why. And I knew someone that knew him. So I'm not a fan.

But I agree he is a star. And he has a good image.

Rodgers will get there, Brady's too strange and the world isn't ready for a black quarterback to sell us pizza or insurance.

Rodgers will get there, Brady's too strange and the world isn't ready for a black quarterback to sell us pizza or insurance.
I think the world is ready for the black qb. So I disagree.

Peyton does have that ability to sell himself, his image and he's funny too. Nobody else can do that right now.

Aaron Rodgers has left the Christian faith and has become way to liberal. That hurts him with star power outside of the Green Bay Wisconsin area.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a start. We'll see how it goes, but not only does this nonsense need to stop, but they owe the American public an apology. At the minimum any future shenanigans need to be slapped down with fines and multi-game suspensions. Maybe even a few lifetime bans to really drive the point home.

That is a start. We'll see how it goes, but not only does this nonsense need to stop, but they owe the American public an apology. At the minimum any future shenanigans need to be slapped down with fines and multi-game suspensions. Maybe even a few lifetime bans to really drive the point home.
I don't think the NFL will ever apologize. Goodell and the NFL are probably too proud.

If ratings stay down, expect some patriotic NFL advertisements this season and next. They will try to win back some fans they lost with all the anthem kneeler nonsense.

Don't kid yourself.

This stuff is happening because of disrespect for the flag and anthem:

Don't kid yourself.

This stuff is happening because of disrespect for the flag and anthem:

Suuuuure. So do you think you'll see a bigger year over year decline in viewership, revenue, etc. this year than ever before? How do you go about proving this?

So far there are claims that fewer viewers means less television revenue for the league this year, ticket sales are down, ratings are hitting new lows. At the end of the season do you sincerely believe this year will be noteworthy for decline in a way that you can tie back to protests?

I watched the video on mute, so if I've been trolled, good on you.

2015 was the peak of NFL ratings.

Viewership dropped 9% last last season and has dropped another 7% on average this season.

There was a reason the NFL released this statement today.

Suuuuure. So do you think you'll see a bigger year over year decline in viewership, revenue, etc. this year than ever before? How do you go about proving this?

So far there are claims that fewer viewers means less television revenue for the league this year, ticket sales are down, ratings are hitting new lows. At the end of the season do you sincerely believe this year will be noteworthy for decline in a way that you can tie back to protests?

I watched the video on mute, so if I've been trolled, good on you.

I think part of the problem is as you say, a lack of star power.

But I also think people generally are getting tired of politics pushed in their face all the time. And, quite frankly, it's all starting to take it's toll as the nastiness has really been escalating. It's not just about kneeling for the anthem. Its about an escalating nastiness going back decades and I do believe that finally we're seeing a drop in viewership from guys just like that "red neck" that just so happens to be shelling out for merchandise and tickets every year. Yes, those people are a significant part of the fanbase.

And I have to be honest, I'm surprised the NBA has the viewership that it has. I wouldn't be surprised to see a decline there as well.

2015 was the peak of NFL ratings.

Viewership dropped 9% last last season and has dropped another 7% on average this season.

There was a reason the NFL released this statement today.

So a larger decline happened before any dedicated boycott? I'm not denying there's a reason for the NFL response, only that claims that it's hurting revenue aren't being tied to hard numbers, so they're basically just bullshit.

But I agree he is a star. And he has a good image. That many people love. And he does have star power. And he did help ratings.

Kaepernick helped tank ratings with some other thugs.
Come on, man. Why you have to call him a “thug”? That’s fucked up.

Guess you got to put him in his place. Can’t have em getting uppity, emirite?

Got to love those Christian values.

Last edited:
So a larger decline happened before any dedicated boycott? I'm not denying there's a reason for the NFL response, only that claims that it's hurting revenue aren't being tied to hard numbers, so they're basically just bullshit.

?? Maybe. This all started last Preseason

I think part of the problem is as you say, a lack of star power.

But I also think people generally are getting tired of politics pushed in their face all the time. And, quite frankly, it's all starting to take it's toll as the nastiness has really been escalating. It's not just about kneeling for the anthem. Its about an escalating nastiness going back decades and I do believe that finally we're seeing a drop in viewership from guys just like that "red neck" that just so happens to be shelling out for merchandise and tickets every year. Yes, those people are a significant part of the fanbase.

And I have to be honest, I'm surprised the NBA has the viewership that it has. I wouldn't be surprised to see a decline there as well.

The star power issue is big, as is the New England Patriots playoff dominance (looks like that's less of an issue this year), as well as the presence of politics in the games as you've mentioned. The league has a hard on for controlling the conversation, so they're trying to push the protests to the rear in a season where parity could potentially inspire renewed interest in some regions.

The NBA has a bigger international audience, people play basketball everywhere and the NBA has a glut of big name superstars. In the NBA's case, having the same two teams competing every year for the title, and each team having 3-4 important players, helps gain new fans internationally. The NFL is selling a game nobody understands to foreign markets, nobody's buying.

Where were you three weeks ago Goodell? Oh that's right, siding with the players.....until the ratings started coming in and advertisers started getting skittish. Nothing like $$$ to change your stance.

Yep, fuck em. Keep the boycot strong and really humble them.

Back