Trump vs. Jeff "AmaGOAT" Bezos

SSgt Dickweed

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
US President Donald Trump on Saturday resumed his attacks against online retailing giant Amazon and accused The Washington Post, owned by Amazon’s founder Jeff Bezos, of lobbying for the company.

His latest comments, two days after a similar swipe against Amazon, coincided with a report in Saturday’s Post about three different legal efforts “trying to pry open” the books of the president’s umbrella company, the Trump Organization.

On Twitter, Trump claimed the US Postal Service loses “billions of dollars” delivering packages for Amazon.

“This Post Office scam must stop. Amazon must pay real costs (and taxes) now!”, he wrote.

For the first quarter of the 2018 financial year the US Postal Service reported “strong package growth,” with revenue in the segment up 9.3 percent from the same period last year to $505 million.

http://www.reuters.tv/v/jvf/2018/03/31/trump-targets-amazon-again-in-twitter-attack
https://punchng.com/trump-targets-amazon-again-in-new-tweets/

Didn't Trump brag how much he didn't pay taxes as a businessman when he was campaining for POTUS?

424C490A00000578-0-Swole_con_Valley_-a-15_1500079233545.jpg

"Jeff Bezos is a just a jacked white boy. Deal with it." - Kenny Florian

stone-cold-stunner-donald-trump.gif

Last edited:
Amazon Prime is more popular than Donald Trump

In threatening Amazon, Donald Trump is taking on a truly massive challenge: Jeff Bezos’s company is indisputably more popular than the US president.

About 63 million Americans voted for Trump in 2016. Depending on whose estimate you take, the number of American households—which can include one or more individuals—that subscribe to Amazon Prime could be nearly 50% higher than his voter total, between 60 million and 90 million.

Look closer at that data and Trump’s gambit looks even riskier. The US Census Bureau estimates there were 227 million voting-age Americans in 2016, meaning Trump won the support of only about 28% of those old enough to vote.

The bureau estimates there are 117.8 million households in the US, with 2.64 people per household. That means that, at the lowest estimate for Amazon subscribers, 158.4 million people had access to a Prime subscription in 2017 (though not all of those are eligible voters). If the higher estimate is accurate, 76% of American households subscribe to Prime.

Consider that Prime households actively pay around $99 per year to Amazon, while Trump voters merely had go out and cast a ballot, and the tech giant wins the popularity contest hands down

https://qz.com/1243760/most-us-hous...on-prime-most-americans-didnt-vote-for-trump/

Bezos shouldn’t pay taxes because trump

Regardless of what you think of Trump, why in the fuck does anyone want to stand up for Bezos and Amazon here?

It would be hilarious if Bezos bought Twitter and shut down his Twitter account

What are they doing wrong?

$5.6 billion in revenue last year. $0 paid in federal taxes.

Now, I'm no lawyer, so I won't attempt to break it down, but just look into it. Is it technically legal? Perhaps. However, if you're cool with that, and see no reason to look into it further, you might want to stop bitching about Trump's tax returns right about now.

Now, I'm no lawyer, so I won't attempt to break it down, but just look into it. Is it technically legal? Perhaps. However, if you're cool with that, and see no reason to look into it further, you might want to stop bitching about Trump's tax returns right about now.
Bezos isn't the president. We could bitch about his tax returns if he was, or intended to be. But he doesn't.

There's no inherent contradiction in holding Trump to a higher standard than Bezos, specially if it was Trump who put himself in that position in the first place.

I think we all can agree that paying nothing in taxes for revenue over 5 billion dollars is downright disgusting, right?

No big corporations pay taxes and the Republicans in Congress fight to keep it that way.

I think we all can agree that paying nothing in taxes for revenue over 5 billion dollars is downright disgusting, right?

Yea it would be good to rework the tax code to deal with that. Oh wait, the Republicans did rework the tax code and not only did they leave all those loopholes in but they also cut the taxes for everyone else by a shitload. And now Trump complains about it. What a crock of shit.

Bezos isn't the president. We could bitch about his tax returns if he was, or intended to be. But he doesn't.

There's no inherent contradiction in holding Trump to a higher standard than Bezos, specially if it was Trump who put himself in that position in the first place.

That's just selective outrage, though. You can't pretend to want to hold Trump to some "standard", while completely ignoring the "standard" in another case. You either care, or you don't. It's a standard you actually believe in, or it's one that you don't actually care about, and just have a petty grudge with someone you don't like.

And before you go all "but Trump", we have evidence that he pays taxes. A LOT of taxes.

That's just selective outrage, though. You can't pretend to want to hold Trump to some "standard", while completely ignoring the "standard" in another case. You either care, or you don't. It's a standard you actually believe in, or it's one that you don't actually care about, and just have a petty grudge with someone you don't like.

And before you go all "but Trump", we have evidence that he pays taxes. A LOT of taxes.
Just plain wrong, you want to be president certain things are expected. Trump could have stayed a scumbag supposed billionaire private citizen and no one would have said a word about his taxes, plus he promised to release his taxes.

I worked at an Amazon warehouse a while back. They're glorified 21st century sweatshops.

Fuck Bezos for every tax dollar he's allowed to write off and every American he works to the bone.

Just plain wrong, you want to be president certain things are expected. Trump could have stayed a scumbag supposed billionaire private citizen and no one would have said a word about his taxes

So, you don't actually care. Good to know.

You only care about shady tax dealings, if the person in question runs for office.

plus he promised to release his taxes.

But you don't actually care. According to you, Trump could cheat taxes all his life, as long as he didn't become President, and you'd be cool with it. You don't actually care about Billionaires ripping off the system. You just don't like it when they're President. Not President? Knock yourselves out boys. President? Oh', I care all of a sudden.

ROFL.

Trump is just jealous that he’s not a successful businessman like Bezos. Haters gonna hate.

I'm a corporate tax accountant and I've done a cursory look and posted about it many times on this forum.

Amazon operated at a loss for many years resulting in NOLs and probably some credit carryforwards.

It looks like most of that has been exhausted but they are also paying large stock options and rewards which were deducted for book purposes in the year they were granted but for tax purposes couldn't be deducted until they were exercised.

There is also a windfall benefit component to the stock exercises that was recorded through equity instead of their income statement.

That is not reflected in the $5B because it was either deducted in prior years or is a decrease to equity but it is cash out the door in the current year so they get a tax deduction for it.

This is all very standard stuff for all US corporations.

What isn't standard is a President refusing to release his tax returns.

Last edited:
So, you don't actually care. Good to know.

You only care about shady tax dealings, if the person in question runs for office.

But you don't actually care. According to you, Trump could cheat taxes all his life, as long as he didn't become President, and you'd be cool with it. You don't actually care about Billionaires ripping off the system. You just don't like it when they're President. Not President? Knock yourselves out boys. President? Oh', I care all of a sudden.

ROFL.
The leader of a country has more responsibilities than a private citizen, cheating on taxes is bad no matter who does it, disqualifying if you are trying to be president, and you are not nearly smart enough to twist someones words.

Back