UPDATE 3/6/18: Trump to RE-re-allow imports of African elephant trophies for cronies (case-by-case)

The saviour of the middle class.

Who the fuck wanted this?

You aren't understanding what I said. I did not say that poachers were taking part in the trophy game: I said that opening up the US market to legal ivory sales would increase the incentive for poachers to otherwise kill elephants.

Not if the elephant is tagged shortly after the kill.

Think of the system that many states in the midwest have for whitetail deer, mule deer, elk, and most other types of game.

Before a taxidermist will even touch the animal, he has to see your legal hunting tag.

This allows for the animal that's been harvested, to maintain legal connection with the person who harvested it through the entire hunting, harvesting, processing, and taxidermy stages of game preparation.

Not if the elephant is tagged shortly after the kill.

Think of the system that many states in the midwest have for whitetail deer, mule deer, elk, and most other types of game.

Before a taxidermist will even touch the animal, he has to see your legal hunting tag.

This allows for the animal that's been harvested, to maintain legal connection with the person who harvested it through the entire hunting, harvesting, processing, and taxidermy stages of game preparation.

I don't think you're getting it.

Opening the US market to elephant cadaver imports will considerably effect the market for ivory (regardless of whether they are being imported as trophies or as ivory) and increase the price of ivory, by diminishing the supply through export of elephant cadavers and increasing the demand by opening up a new market for ivory circulation. This bolsters the economic incentive for poaching outside of the confines of trophy hunting permissions.

It's purely market logic.

I don't think you're getting it.

Opening the US market to elephant cadaver imports will considerably effect the market for ivory (regardless of whether they are being imported as trophies or as ivory) and increase the price of ivory, by diminishing the supply through export of elephant cadavers and increasing the demand by opening up a new market for ivory circulation. This bolsters the economic incentive for poaching outside of the confines of trophy hunting permissions.

It's purely market logic.
If that's the concern, then the best way to remedy it would be to generally only allow the import of tagged animals (going back to my tagging idea as a suggestion).

This ensures that the only Ivory in circulation is completely legally acquired ivory.

I haven't done a great deal of research as to how this new order will shake out, but I'm just trying to see if there's any way to assuage your concerns.

If that's the concern, then the best way to remedy it would be to generally only allow the import of tagged animals (going back to my tagging idea as a suggestion).

It seems to me that, no matter how they are imported, the resulting reduction in available ivory will yield market pressures that make existing elephants more vulnerable. If it were not for the ivory market outside of the US (I don't think we're a huge consumer of it), this really wouldn't be an issue. It's a few degrees separated from the purpose of the order, but it's nonetheless concerning.

Fucking disgusting and encourages poaching. Of all of the policy initiatives.....

Spare me the emo bullshit. Guaranteed many animals have died for your convenience and enjoyment. Some guy with grips in TN not being able to sell them to me in HI accomplishes nothing.
You're the one that sounds emo LOL

I will not knowingly contribute to the destruction of a threatened species especially one as magnificent elephants You see I have morals

What would it do to our ecosystem and the world if Elephants go extinct?

Also, if we want to collect something in mass why can't we breed them and farm them like other animals. Oh but that would lower the value of ivory even though that's the smart thing to do. Breed the shit out of elephants and sell their tusks and meat. 1 elephant can feed a whole village in Africa..I don't see why Africa is so poor. If I'm stuck in the slums of Africa, I'd start breeding and farming elephantes.

And use them for protection like the Thais.

But Hillary.
You guys are beyond saving.

I've always been critical of Trump where it is warranted. This doesn't change the fact that Hillary would have imposed a no fly zone in Syria leading to ww3.

I've always been critical of Trump where it is warranted. This doesn't change the fact that Hillary would have imposed a no fly zone in Syria leading to ww3.

Trump allows importing of previously outlawed endagered animal parts.

Oh yeah, Hillary laughed at Ghaddafi dying.

Ie....But Hillary

That’s the first thing I thought of too.
A blued GI Springfield or Colt with ivory grips is like functional art.
It’d bug me knowing that the elephant was killed for its tusks though so Idk. The mammoth tooth grips are amazing too, and those fuckers have been dead for a loonng time.

I'm hoping this means the ban on sales the cross state lines is also lifted. Need me some ivory 1911 grips.

Trump allows importing of previously outlawed endagered animal parts.

Oh yeah, Hillary laughed at Ghaddafi dying.

Ie....But Hillary

You clearly haven't read this thread. The real facts behind this subject have been outlined and I believe it's been debated at length in other threads of the past. As much as I hate to say it, these policies have been proven to help endangered species. It's not some slight of hand trick, it's fact.

I still don't like trophy hunting and I would rather see the funding for conservation raised in another way, but this has been proven to be effective.

Back