Trump to NATO: "Germany is totally controlled by Russia"

Trotsky

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And reiterates that he is both immune to facts and just terrible at math. Germany's oil reliance on Russia has been in sharp decline over the past two decades and the country possesses a much more dynamic economy than Russia.

Also, in related news, the United States is totally controlled by Canada.

DONALD TRUMP DISPENSED with polite formalities at the start of a NATO summit in Brussels on Wednesday, telling the alliance’s leader that “Germany, as far as I’m concerned, is captive to Russia” as a result of a new pipeline to import Russian natural gas.

Jens Stoltenberg, the NATO secretary general, looked taken aback at Trump’s blunt, public attack on a key U.S. ally. As a result of the gas deal, Trump claimed, “Germany is totally controlled by Russia.”

In case German Chancellor Angela Merkel might have missed Trump’s tirade, the American president posted a White House recording of the comments on Twitter.

Merkel, who grew up in Soviet-dominated East Germany, rejected Trump’s criticism ahead of a meeting with him on Wednesday afternoon.
“I’ve experienced myself a part of Germany controlled by the Soviet Union,” she told reporters, “and I’m very happy today that we are united in freedom as the Federal Republic of Germany and can thus say that we can determine our own policies and make our own decisions and that’s very good.”

The chancellor also rejected Trump’s claim that the U.S. “is protecting Germany,” by noting that “the largest part of our military capacity is offered to NATO and until today we have a strong presence in Afghanistan. In that way, we also protect the interests of the United States.”

In one part of his monologue, Trump claimed, inaccurately, that Germany would be buying “70 percent of their energy from Russia.” According to the German government, just 9 percent of the country’s energy needs come from Russian natural gas.

Trump claims that Germany gets up to 70% of its energy from Russia. According to German government it’s 9%.

The American president also veered into fiction when he suggested that while Germany imported Russian gas, “you have a country like Poland that won’t accept the gas… because they don’t want to be captive to Russia.” As the Polish journalist Oskar Górzynski noted, Poland still gets most of its gas from Russia.

Trump also complained, as he has since 1987, that Germany and other members of the alliance, including France, spend less on defense than the United States. To make his point, Trump inaccurately referred to all American defense spending as if it were a contribution to NATO, and mistakenly described the failure of other European allies to spend more as an unpaid debt owed to the U.S.

If Trump’s aim is to shame Germany into paying more for its own defense, and not just to embarrass Merkel in hopes of denting her popularity, his intervention is unlikely to succeed.

Marcel Dirsus, a political scientist at Kiel University, observed that Merkel has been making the case for more defense spending, but “Trump makes her job more difficult because he is highly unpopular in Germany and politicians don’t want to be seen as giving in to his threats.”

Everyone talks about German defence spending. Here is Merkel making the case for it. Trump makes her job more difficult because he is highly unpopular in Germany and politicians don't want to be seen as giving in to his threats.

Another German commentator, Ulrich Speck, noted that polls show little support for Merkel’s position that Germany should spend more than it already does on its military.
Opinion poll in Germany: only 15% of Germans agree with Merkel that Germany should reach the 2 percent of GDP Nato defense spending goal in 2024. 24% say 1,5 percent is right, 36% say it is already too much.

Despite Trump’s complaints about Germany spending money on Russian gas, Mathieu von Rohr, the deputy foreign editor of the German weekly Der Spiegel, pointed out that Merkel “was instrumental in delivering the West’s response to the Ukraine crisis,” which involved sanctions on Russian businesses.

Von Rohr also suggested that Russian President Vladimir Putin must be enjoying the spectacle of an American president driving a wedge into the military alliance dedicated to containing Russia.
https://theintercept.com/2018/07/11...s-claiming-germany-totally-controlled-russia/

Germany-GDP-China-United-States-Japan-Russia.png

russiagdp.png

Last edited:
Also, methinks Trump might be jealous of Germany getting that Russian pipe inserted into it, and might want in on the action.

Also, methinks Trump might be jealous of Germany getting that Russian pipe inserted into it, and might want in on the action.
Is that a vague analogy about Merkel getting dicked by Putin and Trump wanting in on the action?

The most correct statement would be Germany is totally controlled by the USA.

Is that a vague analogy about Merkel getting dicked by Putin and Trump wanting in on the action?

No, just that the pipeline will physically extend from Russia into Germany presumably.

Seems to me like another case where Trump acts like a teenage bully. (rumors that Trump is influenced by Russia) NOOOO Germany is totally controlled by Russia!

I know you are but what am I?!?!?

No, just that the pipeline will physically extend from Russia into Germany presumably.
You completely wasted what I felt was a perfectly adequate joke Trotsky. I am disappoint, but I yes I agree with your assumption.

The most divisive and now the dumbest president of my lifetime.

This is Trump simply creating chaos and diversion.
How many Russians bases are there in Germany? Zero.
How many American bases are there in Germany? 36.
Case closed.

If that’s not a pouting reaction then idk what is

The left loves their gay sex analogies. Watch for it for a day and you'll be struck by how often they do it.

Merkel should go on Twitter and say

I know you are but whay am I

Back