Trump to Appoint Another SCOTUS Justice? Kennedy to Retire Monday?

Are you tired of winning, yet?

• Total voters
If Trump can get one more supreme court nomination through in the next few years, he will have single handedly preserved 2nd Amendment freedoms for another generation.
Yep if RBG and then Breyer quickly follows then hopefully a trio of conservative relatively young constitutionalists will be appointed by Trump. Something else to show how much America is winning

If Trump can get one more supreme court nomination through in the next few years, he will have single handedly preserved 2nd Amendment freedoms for another generation.
I'd like to see a couple more.

And this is a big reason we voted for him.

It's crazy to think how many appointments he could make. Not wishing bad health to any of them but Father Time catches up with everyone eventually.

German media already leaking pictures of the new judge.
I can't enable Twitter but anyone knows this guy?

5a3mh1.jpg

Lol America is so screwed. 120 years too late but still.

Looks like he is staring off at the hired group of lumberjacks approaching to have their way with him.

This is rather unlikely, given he hired 4 clerks starting in October. If so, it is likely because of an emergency health problem.

He's been hinting for a while, this isn't new. As to the clerks, I don't know how that works, but I would assume he would do that anyway in case RBG and Roberts somehow passed between the hiring phase and when he made his announcement? Something where maybe he would elect to stay on another year for the stability of the court? I don't know. But that's a fair point.
And it is pure speculation that he will retire---at this point. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

He's been hinting for a while, this isn't new. As to the clerks, I don't know how that works, but I would assume he would do that anyway in case RBG and Roberts somehow passed between the hiring phase and when he made his announcement? Something where maybe he would elect to stay on another year for the stability of the court? I don't know. But that's a fair point.
And it is pure speculation that he will retire---at this point. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
I follow SCOTUS pretty closely. I haven't really seen much hinting - I've seen reports of hinting from third parties, but they never are traceable back to anything he has said or done.

Usually a SCOTUS justice who is considering retirement hires one clerk, not 4. If he changes his mind, he hires some more, and if he retires, retired justices generally have one clerk anyways.

God I hope this is true and trump can pick another young judge to replace him before the 18 midterms.

And if skeletor kicks the bucket....

vhpy.gif

How do you know Kennedy is a good justice? He never went the party line on every single fucking thing. That's what a judge should do. There are justices on both sides that just do the party talking points. Kennedy was refreshing as so often he was the swing vote

I follow SCOTUS pretty closely. I haven't really seen much hinting - I've seen reports of hinting from third parties, but they never are traceable back to anything he has said or done.

Usually a SCOTUS justice who is considering retirement hires one clerk, not 4. If he changes his mind, he hires some more, and if he retires, retired justices generally have one clerk anyways.

Interesting points. We'll see. I'm still hoping that by 48 hours from now, Kennedy has announced he's retiring, though.

I've yet to tire of winning.

My bet is on Clarence Thomas retireing before the mid-term election next year.

Him and Ginsberg are both cancer survivors and are likely eyeing retirement. If I was in either of their shoes at their ages, I would be wanting to spend my limited time on this Earth with my family and the people I care about.

Then again, political power is a drug more addictive than heroin (studies have been done showing that that level of power over another person actually changes the endorphin output in the brain). There's a reason people often have to be forced out of political power (losing in an election, resigning because of a scandal, etc.). For an example, just look at Anthony Weiner. Any sane or rational person would have stepped away from the public spotlight after he disgraced himself the first time. The only kind of person that would continue to try and attain political power after such an ordeal, would be someone addicted to political power.

I think thomas is the worst member of the supreme court. If he retires and some other random conservative justice takes his place, it would be a good thing. He adds zero discussion and votes party line. Even a right wing guy who speaks his mind is better than that. At least they would be doing the job better than i could.

Ginsburg i think will die on the bench. She seems to enjoy it too much to quit.

How do you know Kennedy is a good justice? He never went the party line on every single fucking thing. That's what a judge should do. There are justices on both sides that just do the party talking points. Kennedy was refreshing as so often he was the swing vote
We need another Kennedy or Roberts.

Like stated this was a big reason Trump got voted in.

No one even center right wanted Hillary pushing the court far left as she wanted to do.

Kennedy won't retire before the midterms unless his health is deteriorating. Most of his judicial legacy would be reversed should Trump get another strict textualist onto the bench. Hell, it's crazy to consider, but it's perfectly conceivable that if Kennedy was replaced by a Scalia-like jurist, we could see even a case like Lawrence v. Texas overturned; states could once again throw gays in jail for consensual, private sex. Thomas dissented in that case. Gorsuch, Alito and whoever replaced Kennedy would surely join him. Roberts would be the swing vote.

Also, bye-bye Casey, Roe and Obergefell.

The GOP base is going to see Trump as a god regardless of what he does this four years if he gets to put two justices on the court. He already got some of that for appointing one

3-4 more Gorsuch's on the court and he'll be the GOAT

Back