Trump supporters, you ready to admit Syria is a broken campaign promise?

US plans open-ended military presence in Syria

_99648907_mediaitem99648903.jpg
Image copyrightAFP
Image captionThe US special forces and military advisers are deployed in northern and eastern Syria

The US will maintain an open-ended military presence in Syria to ensure the enduring defeat of the jihadist group Islamic State, counter Iranian influence, and help end the civil war.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said President Donald Trump did not want to "make the same mistakes" that were made in 2011, when US forces left Iraq.

The US has about 2,000 troops in Syria.

Mr Tillerson denied the US was training a Kurdish-led border force, but Turkey accused it of sending mixed signals.

"US officials have made statements that refute one another," said Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim, whose country fiercely opposes such a move.

"One day it was said that a new border force had been set up, another day they said they are setting up a unit with local forces in order to maintain security in the region after eliminating Daesh [Islamic State group, or IS] in the region. These are all confusing statements."

The US secretary of state said officials had "misspoke[n]" when they said the US was planning to set up a 30,000 strong "border security force" in northern Syria underpinned by the allied Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) militia

Mr Tillerson said the US was not creating a new force, but rather trying to ensure that local fighters were able to protect liberated areas from attacks by IS remnants.

Turkey's president branded it a "terror army" and warned of imminent assaults on the Kurdish-controlled border areas of Afrin and Manbij.

The Turkish army opened gaps in the border fence west of Afrin on Thursday, as the state-run Anadolu news agency reported that troops had been put on high alert.
Why does the US want to stay in Syria?
In a speech at Stanford University on Wednesday, Mr Tillerson said decisive action taken by President Trump had accelerated the progress made against IS.

But he noted that IS was "not completely defeated" and that the government of President Bashar al-Assad - who the US opposes and has said should step down from power - controlled about half of Syria's territory and population.

_99648734_mediaitem99648733.jpg
Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Image captionRex Tillerson said the US was focused on ensuring IS could not re-emerge
Mr Tillerson added that the US also faced "continued strategic threats" not just from IS and al-Qaeda, but also from Iran, a key ally of Mr Assad which he said had strengthened its presence by deploying troops and "importing proxy forces".

He also said the unresolved plight of the millions of displaced Syrians remained a humanitarian crisis that only a political solution to the civil war could end.

The Syrian government said the continued US military presence represented "a blatant breach of international law and an aggression against national sovereignty.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42731222

So, I'm curious. How many Trump supporters are willing to admit, this is a broken campaign promise?

Are any of you Trump folk willing to admit the neo-cons are running Trumps foreign policy yet?

MABA Make America Bush again.
Thank god there's a Presidential Sticky Thread.

I considered it a broken promise when he launched tomahawk missiles.

Obama said he was going to end our Afghanistan campaign in 14. Still there.

We left Iraq completely and it was a mistake.

Having been in this area more recently than I presume most of you have, a limited scale of SOF in this area is not a bad thing. But I'm sure it's all about oil and money like every other war. Rolls eyes

And I would still take Trump over Hilary tweets and all.

They are literally saying they are there because of Iran and Assad, Iran can take care of sunni jihadists with no problem.

If the economy n unemployment stay in great shape who really cares. TRUMP has kept the most important promise the economy n jobs. An I fucking hate the man personally but would vote,trump 2020 if keeps up economy

If a guy is willing to say "I said one thing, but I got new information and I'm changing my mind", that's a good thing.

You people want politicians who say something and then plow through even if they find out they were wrong and it's a bad idea?

"Well I know now that's a bad idea, but I said I would so I have to"... that's not how ANYONE should be making important decisions.
You are making excuses for him.

Vis-a-vis Iran, Hezbollah and Assad: There is nothing he knows now that he didn't know before the election. Iran and Hezbollah were already involved in Syria when he was campaigning. Nothing has changed on that end.

What is now going on with Trump, is that he is going back on his campaign sentiments and going along with the Neocon and Saudi agenda.

If the economy n unemployment stay in great shape who really cares. TRUMP has kept the most important promise the economy n jobs. An I fucking hate the man personally but would vote,trump 2020 if keeps up economy

The economy was pretty great under Bush too, except you know when it crashed and burned.

Trump is just piggybacking off the economy under Obama. Bush handed Obama a burst bubble and economy with major issues. Obama handed Trump a decent economy.

He is mostly opposing ISIS, Turkey and other sunni arab rebels, by supporting the communist kurds. Plus he is only involving SOF troops, which are expected to serve in that role, unlike when Bush sent common troops that enlisted to go to college to kill Saddam.
Not that I support it, but it's far from Bush.
The Neocons around him are trying to get him to take on Iran and Assad. Congress has not authorized any such war. And why should we fight Israel and Saudi Arabia's ethnic and sectarian wars.

Spoken like someone who's memory only goes back to trumps inauguration.. lol

This is from back in July.

Trump ends CIA arms support for anti-Assad Syria rebels: U.S. officials

The U.S. decision, said one of the officials, is part of an effort by the administration to improve relations with Russia, which along with Iranian-supported groups has largely succeeded in preserving Assad’s government in the six-year-civil war.

The CIA program began in 2013 as part of efforts by the administration of then-President Barack Obama to overthrow Assad, but produced little success, said the officials, both of whom are familiar with the program and spoke on the condition of anonymity.

The Washington Post was first to report the program’s suspension on Wednesday. White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders declined to comment on the topic at the White House briefing.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ssad-syria-rebels-u-s-officials-idUSKBN1A42KC

It's an interesting situation, no doubt. One I'm going to have look more into to get a complete handle on. But on the surface, it seems like operations there aren't something that can simply be terminated, and that's that.

Like I said before, if he doesn't follow "their' plan, they boot him out of the White House.
He was a wild dog, they turned him into a puppy.

Trump is just piggybacking off the economy under Obama. Bush handed Obama a burst bubble and economy with major issues. Obama handed Trump a decent economy.
And if it would tanked right away it's all trumps fault ....... it gets better n better and it's cause of Obama ........ got it

Spoken like someone who's memory only goes back to trumps inauguration.. lol
Economy doing great an un employment reaching lows makes u trump haters cringe ........ AS THIS IS WHAT MOST VOTERS CARE ABOUT....... like golf foreign policy and acting presidential is like the drive n approach .......... the economy n jobs are the chips n putts ...... e eryonevknows that where all the winning is done. Make no mistake Trump is a dumb ass bit this economy keeps booming he is going no where in 2020.

And if it would tanked right away it's all trumps fault ....... it gets better n better and it's cause of Obama ........ got it
Why would it tank , since the president is only part of the equation for a decent economy. There are many other factors.

Economy doing great an un employment reaching lows makes u trump haters cringe ........ AS THIS IS WHAT MOST VOTERS CARE ABOUT....... like golf foreign policy and acting presidential is like the drive n approach .......... the economy n jobs are the chips n putts ...... e eryonevknows that where all the winning is done. Make no mistake Trump is a dumb ass bit this economy keeps booming he is going no where in 2020.

The economy has been generally climbing since 2010 dodo...

His promise on economy and jobs has been diddly squat for all of 2017. The new tax law will impact 2018 so from here on out we will see some form of factor that can be linked to Trump but anything that happened in 2017 is not because of Trump.

They are literally saying they are there because of Iran and Assad, Iran can take care of sunni jihadists with no problem.

Right that was my and "other reasons" statement. I'll just emphasize that our role there is important and I would support leaving Afghanistan or at a minium scaling down our efforts which are already focused, and not necessarily at the Taliban, to be almost exclusively target other networks. I would use the same mentality towards the effort in Iraq. To caveat though, Al Baghdadi is not dead nor is the higher levels of ISIS completely removed thus they still have influence. So there are some lose ends that I cannot picture the Iranians being able to access and get into those strongholds ISIS still hold. But you seem to think they're going to do the mop up work, that I am skeptical of.

Trumpturds will find a way to defend their loving father

If a guy is willing to say "I said one thing, but I got new information and I'm changing my mind", that's a good thing.

You people want politicians who say something and then plow through even if they find out they were wrong and it's a bad idea?

"Well I know now that's a bad idea, but I said I would so I have to"... that's not how ANYONE should be making important decisions.
No you have to butch someone isn’t doing something then both when they do it. It’s the bitchyest way to be a bitch. Catch on

We will never have a non neocon president in my lifetime at least

So disappointed.

Let Russia clean the shit up. It's not like they like ISIS

All isolationists are gone from the WH because the Intelligence Angencies and Media will not let that happem

Trump just another Republican foreign policy wise I guess. Maybe Bush, Romney and the new republic will kiss his ass now

Maybe he had a hands off approach to Syria before he got the full details.

Back