Trump signs executive order rolling back Obama-era energy regs

Seems he didn't learn from the Australian example.

Few years ago we brought in a carbon tax because such a thing is simply destined to happen at some point.

Coal miners and burners slammed it because it would reduce their margins.

Massive scare campaign followed and the tax was revoked.

Since then however no one invests in coal power stations or projects because the industry knows a tax will come at some point so investing is to risky.

No invests in cleaner energy because coal gets all the tax breaks and again its to risky.

End result complete halt to energy investment which was the only supposed benefit of getting rid of the tax.

You simply do not encourage growth but enacting non sustainable policy.
You guys have half the population of California and an interior almost the size of America.

Lay that fucker with panels and call it a day.

Isn't the coal industry struggling not because Obama but because there are better, cleaner, and more efficient ways to create energy? Even China has made an effort to get away from coal.
Yeah. A number of the more practical minded environmental groups are ambivalent on fracking because while it causes problems, those are way smaller than the offsets it provides by decreasing coal production and use. (Same for nuclear).

This means more jobs, cheaper energy and more wealth for the American people.
trump-make-america-great-again-hat.jpg

"Well, some people, really smart people, unbelievable people, are saying that Climate Change is just a conspiracy created by the Chinese." John Barron

I thought we were taking about coal and some were nervous that more plants would open. But it fact there are natural coal fires burning more then coal plants can

You simply do not encourage growth by enacting non sustainable policy.

This is the best sentence I've read in a long time.

Perfectly put.

The same idea applies to "bringing back manufacturing jobs." No we're fucking not. Not in any appreciable number. That ship has sailed.

If people could just get this through their thick skulls it would solve soooo many problems.

This means more jobs, cheaper energy and more wealth for the American people.

No it doesn't. It means a temporary band-aid for a few folks and a publicity tour for the POTUS.

Last edited:
If that's true there is nothing to worry as coal will be replaced without the need for regulations.
Not entirely true...they already have the infrastracture for coal that and will save a lot of money than spending for newer and more efficient energy sources...at the cost of clean air....this is a fuckery I can see in the future....

Isn't the coal industry struggling not because Obama but because there are better, cleaner, and more efficient ways to create energy? Even China has made an effort to get away from coal.

Same with efforts to move away from a manufacturing economy into a service sector one.

America is one of the wealthiest countries in the world in a per capita basis, yet the people somehow see third world living condition with nostalgia goggles.

Trump is making coal great again!

I always love the arguments about natural carbon emissions. "What about the forest fires and volcanos!"

Well how about we control what we can? Why is that such a hard concept for people to get behind?

I guess these environmentalists would rather people go without electricity. I'll be the first to ask......Will you lead by example?

live_better.jpg

Coal is here to stay. Your denial doesn't work!

I guess these environmentalists would rather people go without electricity. I'll be the first to ask......Will you lead by example?

live_better.jpg

Why would this be when natural gas is cheaper and burns cleaner? Do you really think EPA regulations killed the coal industry? That's a myth. Cleaner better methods killed the coal industry and it's never coming back.

live_better.jpg

Your source for that gif is the Rocky Mountain Coal institute o_O

Why would this be when natural gas is cheaper and burns cleaner? Do you really think EPA regulations killed the coal industry? That's a myth. Cleaner better methods killed the coal industry and it's never coming back.
Eh, it's cheaper depending on the place. China doesn't use coal because they are evil but because it was super cheap for them at the time.

If you use a lot of natural gas then it will become scarcer and it will get expensive again. That's just the way it is until we move to a fusion/battery economy.

It is not cheaper! The infrastructure buildout would bankrupt us. I prefer facts over energy ideology.

Your source for that gif is the Rocky Mountain Coal institute o_O
cornerstone-1.jpg

Coal is the backbone of global electricity generation Source: IEA
These are not my words. Just the reality here. That's all.

The use of coal is down, this is a fact. Why do you think that is? It's not the EPA's fault. Things can't change overnight, but they are changing. Trump is setting us back by promoting coal. It's a dying industry.

lots of good Canada's policies are doing for their economy and oil industry.....

I love it when people act like the US is Brazil or China in terms of pollution. where the hell do yall live?

Idk much about this, but I mean the people who think its good are at least backing their shit up with sources saying so. The rest of you clowns seem to just be pulling shit out of your ass as to why this is bad

Article from a year ago:
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...l-burning-in-significant-decline-figures-show

" Coal-burning in China is in significant decline, according to official figures released on Tuesday, signalling a major turnaround for the world’s biggest polluter. "

This comes at the same time that the US has confirmed a 10% year-on-year decline in coal consumption in 2015, plus a three-year moratorium of new federal coal mine leases. That the largest economies globally are moving rapidly in concert to exceed the Paris [climate change] agreement sets a very positive scene for 2016.”

-
Yeah well Trump just reversed some of that.

It is not cheaper! The infrastructure buildout would bankrupt us. I prefer facts over energy ideology.

cornerstone-1.jpg

Coal is the backbone of global electricity generation Source: IEA
These are not my words. Just the reality here. That's all.

Actually your source is not the IEA... that graph is once again more Propaganda from the Rocky Mountain Coal Institute :(

Here is what the IEA actually says about Coal predictions:

Coal consumption barely grows in the next 25 years, as demand in China starts to fall back thanks to efforts to fight air pollution and diversify the fuel mix. The gas market is also changing, with the share of LNG overtaking pipelines and growing to more than half of the global long-distance gas trade, up from a quarter in 2000. In an already well-supplied market, new LNG from Australia, the United States and elsewhere triggers a shift to more competitive markets and changes in contractual terms and pricing.

Source:

http://www.iea.org/newsroom/news/2016/november/world-energy-outlook-2016.html

Back