Trump proposes term limits for Congress to "drain the swamp"

The problem is, Trump has ZERO integrity and has previously said he was against term limits. He's a flip-flopper of the highest order.
Term limits are a perfectly valid endeavor to aspire to, except Trump is not the person to do it.
http://www.mediaite.com/election-20...s-against-term-limits-before-he-was-for-them/

Why do you care who does it? Especially when the other optionsis the epitome of the kind of person term limits would prevent from holding office...

Hate Trump. But I am a fan of term limits. The Republic was not formed with the notion of people serving for 30 years.

Term limits, EO's demanding business with federal contracts disclose political spending, repeal CU, campaign finance reforms all very good ideas. But they generally treat the symptom not the real problem.

The best way to remove money from politics is to move politics from money. What we need is a streamlined, simple tax code. When the Federal income tax was implemented, the tax code was 400 pages. Which is still probably 390 pages too big. Now it is almost 75,000 pages. you read that right, 75,000.

Not all, but certainly the majority of the money running around Washington is being used to purchase lines on the tax code.

You get a tiny tax code, and the politicians have much much less to sell. Less to sell-less to buy.

Last edited:
Limit the ability of someone to become a career politician

That isnt gong to do anything about shadow governments controlling everything. Unless there is a shadow election that I didnt hear about.

Ask Trump what it takes to pass a constitutional amendment and I'd bet he has no clue. It isn't happening. The Contract with America delt with this in the 90's and they couldn't even get it through the Senate.

If you were the only one who really had a say, would you vote yourself out of the Cushiest Job there is?

the house should be voted on every 4 years not 2 … With 3 term limits on both the house and the Senate

there should be term limits but Trump is desperate as fuck at this point lol he will promise anything he cant actually deliver.

Finally he comes up with an idea I can get behind.

Is congress still allowed to legally insider trade as well?

The problem is, Trump has ZERO integrity and has previously said he was against term limits. He's a flip-flopper of the highest order.
Term limits are a perfectly valid endeavor to aspire to, except Trump is not the person to do it.
http://www.mediaite.com/election-20...s-against-term-limits-before-he-was-for-them/

I came here to say pretty much exactly this. Term limits are fantastic and should be imposed, Trump just has zero credibility for being an agent of change and he's already had a litmus test on this one.

Trump after Louisiana and Colorado GOP primaries:
“I end up winning Louisiana and then when everything is done I find out I get less delegates than this guy that got his ass kicked,” Trump said in reference to Cruz. “Give me a break. It’s disgusting. It’s a sick system. Maybe in addition to winning we’ll clean up the system so that in future years we can have a fair contest. We might be able to clean up this dirty rotten disgusting system.”

Trump after winning GOP primaries:
"You've been hearing me say it's a rigged system, but now I don't say it anymore because I won. It's true. Now I don't care. I don't care," Tump said. "And the only way I won was I won by such big margins because it is a rigged system. But the only way you can do it, it's like a boxer, you got to knock them out then you don't got to worry about the judges. But it's true."

The man complained to everyone the primaries were rigged then when it works in his favor, no more complaints, no need to "de-rig" the system anymore. Trump is all about Trump and if you believe he is an agent of change, you are naive.

Inb4 1 possibly good idea is all the proof some people need to demand that he be president for life.

Why do you care who does it? Especially when the other optionsis the epitome of the kind of person term limits would prevent from holding office...

Actually Hillary has spent only a very small amount of time in elected office.

the blow out congress movement worked well enough that we should do it again

I don't believe that he can make it happen if elected President, but term limits for the legislature are a good idea. No one should be a professional politician. The Senate isn't a place to go "hang out" for a career.

I also support all laws having a sunset provision. If it's a good law, we will re-up it for continuation. Bad laws will fade into oblivion. Otherwise, stupid stuff will stay on the books forever, adding pointless complications into our system.

It's funny: The two worst ideas from the left are opposition to trade and term limits, and Trump has adopted them both.

liberals before trump said this "i don't want rich old white men deciding what i can do with my body"

liberals after trump said this "this is a horrible idea, sounds like the first step to a dictatorship. they should be allowed to stay until they are old and decrepit"

Last edited:
What kind of limits? House is every two years, Senate every 6. I wouldn't be strongly opposed to term limits if they were relatively high (say, 18 years).

Good luck getting 2/3 of the House and Senate to propose an Amendment limiting their own terms, lol. Trump would have to utilize the never before used 2nd way to amend our Constitution; get 2/3 of state legislatures to call for a Constitutional Convention and then get 3/4 of the States to approve the Amendment. No chance!

Back