Trump proposes term limits for Congress to "drain the swamp"

Space

WR GOAT
Banned
Reaction score

http://time.com/4535798/donald-trump-congress-term-limits/

"One day after he unveiled a new ethics plan, Donald Trump added one more potential reform to his wish list: A Constitutional amendment to impose term limits on members of Congress.

“If I’m elected president, I will push for a Constitutional amendment to impose term limits on all members of Congress,” Trump said at a campaign rally in Colorado Springs, Colorado, Tuesday afternoon, to sustained cheers from the crowd. “Right? They’ve been talking about that for years.”

Trump’s campaign elaborated on the proposal in a press release emailed during the speech.

“Decades of failure in Washington, and decades of special interest dealing, must come to an end,” it says. “We have to break the cycle of corruption, and we have to give new voices a chance to go into government service. The time for Congressional term limits has arrived.”"

NBA-jam-dunk-on-fire-long-distance-dunk-slam-14338634710.gif

Trump is now just throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks.

So dumb. With term limits how would we survive without Strom Thurmond, Ted Kennedy and Robert Byrd fighting for the American people while they fight dementia?

We need term limits and an age max limit.

No 80 year old's who are about to die deciding the future and creating laws for 20 year old's and teenagers who will have to live with the old farts decisions.

I think it's a good idea. I'm not American so I'm not sure, how long are congress terms again? Two for the house and six for the senate, right? Maybe put in a limit of say 6 terms in the house, and 2 in the senate (so 12 years total for each).

So dumb. With term limits how would we survive without Strom Thurmond, Ted Kennedy and Robert Byrd fighting for the American people while they fight dementia?

Never heard of Thurmond and Byrd before this so I had to Wikipedia them. Thurmond was in the senate till he died at age 100? Byrd was in the senate for 50 years? Jesus fucking Christ...

<{MindBrown}>

Never heard of Thurmond and Byrd before this so I had to Wikipedia them. Thurmond was in the senate till he died at age 100? Byrd was in the senate for 50 years? Jesus fucking Christ...

<{MindBrown}>

I had a professor in college who had stories about Thurmond being wheeled into his chambers, having an aid tell him what to do and occasionally saying "Mr. Speaker!" To no one in particular. This was in the 1980s haha. He continued to serve.

Thurmond was also super racist, but had a kid with a black 15 year old and Byrd was in the KKK.

Term limits are fine. Too many politicians invested in the office they hold and maintaining that power rather than focusing on what that power has actually been provided for and for whom.

Trump is now just throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks.

Actually he's responding to the revelations that a cirrupt shadow government runs our country and much of the world.

Ask Trump what it takes to pass a constitutional amendment and I'd bet he has no clue. It isn't happening. The Contract with America delt with this in the 90's and they couldn't even get it through the Senate.

Back