Trump prepares for no-fly zone im Syria

JDragon

Lawn and Order!
@Gold
Reaction score
Surprised I have not seen a thread on this.

Candidate Trump in October 2016:

Clinton has called for the establishment of a no-fly zone and “safe zones” on the ground to protect non-combatants. Some analysts fear that protecting those zones could bring the United States into direct conflict with Russian fighter jets.

"What we should do is focus on ISIS. We should not be focusing on Syria," said Trump as he dined on fried eggs and sausage at his Trump National Doral golf resort. "You’re going to end up in World War Three over Syria if we listen to Hillary Clinton.

So now he is preparing for the establishment of a no-fly zone in Syria?!

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN1592O8

I mean Merkel called for it, Erdogan called for it. But this is still a really dangerous move. Because a no-fly zone only makes sense if enforced. That means shooting down Russian planes and that likely also means boots on the ground to ensure ISIS and others do not take advantage at the expense of the civilian population.

Russia has already stated that it would consider any no-fly zone as an illegitimate interference and that it would react accordingly. I guess the Putin bromance is already over, too.

There was already a thread about this and it died. He better mean with Russia/Syrian involvement. I voted for him partly because of his stance on this very issue.

Any 'safe zone' (safe spaces? ...) without no-fly zone will not work. How should it?

I have no idea. Who knows what Trump meant by it. Maybe it does mean no fly zone. Trump is hard to figure out.

He's mentioned safe zones in the kurdish parts of the north for months.

He still never said anything about a no-fly zone over government controlled territory, and i bet the Russians would be willing to deal with some sort of restircted operations in the Kurdish area. As I understand the government and the Kurds have a more or less a neutral approach to each other and have avoided open conflict.

Enforcing safe zones/no fly zones means getting us involved in this mess militarily.

This is something that many Trump supporters in the WR flamed Hillary for (rightfully IMO) ...

Would like to see how Trump supporters feel about Trump's new stance on this one.

I think he was just trying to give an interviewer something, a soundbite really. He probably means he will offer some kind of assistance to help people felling conflict, maybe extending the refugee camps in Turkey, Jordan and Lebanon and sending more aid. But other than that I don't think he really gives a fuck about Syria and is happy to leave it in Russian hands.

Enforcing safe zones/no fly zones means getting us involved in this mess militarily.

This is something that many Trump supporters in the WR flamed Hillary for (rightfully IMO) ...

Would like to see how Trump supporters feel about Trump's new stance on this one.

I don't like it at all.

I think he was just trying to give an interviewer something, a soundbite really. He probably means he will offer some kind of assistance to help people felling conflict, maybe extending the refugee camps in Turkey, Jordan and Lebanon and sending more aid. But other than that I don't think he really gives a fuck about Syria and is happy to leave it in Russian hands.

Hope so.

Either he is just blabbering nonsense, or a "safe zone" would include a "no-fly zone". Both seem equally likely.

You think so? Reuters is quoting the draft executive order:

"The Secretary of State, in conjunction with the Secretary of Defense, is directed within 90 days of the date of this order to produce a plan to provide safe areas in Syria and in the surrounding region in which Syrian nationals displaced from their homeland can await firm settlement, such as repatriation or potential third-country resettlement," the draft order said.

So...Trump Isn't an agent for Putin now???

While he's trying to stop the refugee crisis, there is a chance this opens the door for no fly zones which would be bad.

You think so? Reuters is quoting the draft executive order:

"The Secretary of State, in conjunction with the Secretary of Defense, is directed within 90 days of the date of this order to produce a plan to provide safe areas in Syria and in the surrounding region in which Syrian nationals displaced from their homeland can await firm settlement, such as repatriation or potential third-country resettlement," the draft order said.

No idea if this means that they just need to come up with a plan, or we are actually going to do this. Also no idea if this means fringe areas of safe space to keep Syrians from immigrating to America, OR if this means areas of Russian airspace operation creating a potential skirmish.

Back