Trump perception in Italy

makavelihhh

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I'm from Italy, obviously the 90% of the media are bashing Trump everyday, they basically translates CNN or NYT articles and that's it.

The awesome thing is that the italians are not buying their shit. I never saw a US president so openly supported by italians.

I'm sure a lot of you will not believe this, because it does not fit the narrative that the media are trying to feed you.
You want a proof? Well, if you can read italian check any italian newspaper website or facebook page... you will find the same articles bashing Trump and its politics.
Now check the comments sections: even on traditional left wing newspapers, the majority of the comments are in Trump support.
"La Repubblica" just posted an article about Trump in its facebook page, there are now 7 comments, 6 of them being supportive to Trump. "La Repubblica" is a moderate left wing newspaper that is read by moderate and not so moderate leftist people.

Even in the italian version of the Huffington Post at least half of the comments are in Trump support!

Interesting. Thanks. Why is he popular with Italians? Is it his style or his policies?

Interesting. Thanks. Why is he popular with Italians? Is it his style or his policies?

His policies towards immigration and refugess are the most liked.

People are also a lot impressed by his resolve and boldness.
Conisder that the current italian prime minister is in office since december 2016 and didn't do or even say anything substantial since. This is an european trend, politician are just becoming administrators, the choiches are made at EU level (without any kind of democracy involved).
It's refreshing to see someone like Trump, and he give us some hope.

The Italian government are just as bad as what we see in Germany and Sweden. They are basically helping the invasion of Europe with all the boats from Africa..

No surprise that Trump has support.

The Italian government are just as bad as what we see in Germany and Sweden. They are basically helping the invasion of Europe with all the boats from Africa..

Italy is in a much more difficult position/location than Germany or Sweden. 35 miles from Albania and a 100mi from Africa is much worse than what the US faces along the Mexican border.

Exactly.

The problem in Italy is that even the bigger "populist" party is absolutely shit.

But I'm convinced that Italy will not suffer the grim fate of Germany, Sweden, or even France, for a very simple reason: the majority of the people in the Army and in police forces, escpecially the ones in the higher ranks, are Fascists, and sooner or later they will act.

We Italians created Fascims 100 years ago. I really hope that we will not need it, but day after day I'm more and more convinced that a resurgence is inevitable.

Glad you guys are at least vocal about your country being overrun. The Germans seem to enjoy it for some reason

Judging by Italian politics over the last 50 years. I don't think it is a good idea to put to much hope into the judgment of the Italiens in regards to politicians.
I mean your politics are a shitshow not matched in the West not even by the Americans.

Last edited:
thats awesome. I really feel the culture of news reporting has been shattered thanks to this election. People are starting to wake up and realize that fiction is being presented as non fiction and we arent going to listen to fairy tales any longer.

Exactly.

The problem in Italy is that even the bigger "populist" party is absolutely shit.

But I'm convinced that Italy will not suffer the grim fate of Germany, Sweden, or even France, for a very simple reason: the majority of the people in the Army and in police forces, escpecially the ones in the higher ranks, are Fascists, and sooner or later they will act.

We Italians created Fascims 100 years ago. I really hope that we will not need it, but day after day I'm more and more convinced that a resurgence is inevitable.
Need it? I can see you saying fascism might be on the rise in conjunction with support for the Trump presidency, but to suggest that's a good thing requires that you be a fucked up individual. I was actually going to bring up a comparison with Trump and Mussolini half joking but after your post, it's clear that's no joke.

Need it? I can see you saying fascism might be on the rise in conjunction with support for the Trump presidency, but to suggest that's a good thing requires that you be a fucked up individual. I was actually going to bring up a comparison with Trump and Mussolini half joking but after your post, it's clear that's no joke.

It's fantastic.

A huge portion of the Greek Diaspora like Trump in light of what's going on in Europe at the moment.

Lol I've never been fascist. Mine is just a consideration on what will happen.
The immigration wave from Africa needs to be stopped. If we don't do it soon, in 10 or 15 years we could find ourselves in a situation when a fascist like party could be elected (or could take power with a coup). It's inevitable.

Btw people like you are to blame in part for what is going to happen. You don't realize that the endless insults that you guy throw are making the people on the right less and less moderate.
You are making them fascist.

He is saying it may be necessitated. Have you seen whats going on in europe latley? Are you telling me it could get any worse? The citizens hardly have a say in what goes in their lives anyways so what do they care about their "democracy".

Lol I've never been fascist. Mine is just a consideration on what will happen.
The immigration wave from Africa needs to be stopped. If we don't do it soon, in 10 or 15 years we could find ourselves in a situation when a fascist like party could be elected (or could take power with a coup). It's inevitable.

Btw people like you are to blame in part for what is going to happen. You don't realize that the endless insults that you guy throw are making the people on the right less and less moderate.
You are making them fascist.
I'm just a guy with an opinion. The alt-right has been fueled by lies spread by social media, not the insults of dissenters.

And by the way, interesting edit of the OP since in the original, you did, in fact, say that fascism might be needful. Glad to see you back off that idea.

He is saying it may be necessitated. Have you seen whats going on in europe latley? Are you telling me it could get any worse? The citizens hardly have a say in what goes in their lives anyways so what do they care about their "democracy".
Are you saying authoritarian rule based upon religion or race is a good thing? You think White Nationlism is the cure for what ails Europe? Please tell me then, why is it that in France, the vast majority of the issues surrounding Muslims has nothing to do with current immigration policies and everything to do with how the French Muslim minority has been treated over the last 40-odd years, i.e. really fucking shitty?

And yeah, I reiterate, if you think facism is a good thing under any circumstances whatsoever, I politely say to you, go fuck yourself.

Just look at Europe 1945 and you see how it could be worse. Because that is what you get with Nationalism or fascism.

His policies towards immigration and refugess are the most liked.

People are also a lot impressed by his resolve and boldness.
Conisder that the current italian prime minister is in office since december 2016 and didn't do or even say anything substantial since. This is an european trend, politician are just becoming administrators, the choiches are made at EU level (without any kind of democracy involved).
It's refreshing to see someone like Trump, and he give us some hope.

Refreshing?
That's interesting, considering you've already elected Berlusconi as PM for 9 years.

Have you seen what's been going on in Europe in person?

Like, what do you think life is like for the typical Italian, German, or British European?

Just curious.

Back