Trump calls on Saudi Arabia to lift blockade on Yemen

Trotsky

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
FINALLY, the orange bloke does something right. Good for him. I wish it would have been done a long, long time ago, but better late than never.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump called for Saudi Arabia on Wednesday to immediately allow humanitarian aid to reach the Yemeni people, suggesting Washington had run out patience with a Saudi-led blockade that has been condemned by relief organizations.

The Saudi-led military coalition fighting the Iran-aligned armed Houthi movement in Yemen’s civil war started a blockade of ports a month ago after Saudi Arabia intercepted a missile fired toward its capital Riyadh from Yemen.

Although the blockade later eased and showed signs of breaking on Wednesday, Yemen’s situation remained dire. About 8 million people are on the brink of famine with outbreaks of cholera and diphtheria.

“I have directed officials in my administration to call the leadership of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to request that they completely allow food, fuel, water and medicine to reach the Yemeni people who desperately need it,” Trump said in a statement, without elaborating.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...to-allow-immediate-aid-to-yemen-idUSKBN1E02X4

Wow, I actually agree with Donny Smallhands on this one.

Yemen has turned into a proxy war between Iran and the House of Saud. Don't let the people starve while you are fighting some religious war.
Iran and the HOuse of Saud are the Protestants and Catholics of Islam.

The Donald, as always, sees the big picture. You won't hold any weight with the Saudis if you don't work with them, to a degree.

I'm sure he will force Israel to throw Palestine a bone or two as well, after the relatively meaningless declaration of Jerusalem as Israel's capital, to establish himself as a "safe" guy in the eyes of Israelis.

He's basically like a war general that will give up small concessions in territory, which to the eyes of the common men seem like tactical failures, in order to accomplish greater strategic objectives.

Wow, I actually agree with Donny Smallhands on this one.

Yemen has turned into a proxy war between Iran and the House of Saud. Don't let the people starve while you are fighting some religious war.
Iran and the HOuse of Saud are the Protestants and Catholics of Islam.

It's not a religious war. Like, at all.

That's just how Westerners portray it to distract from the fact that we're fueling a war that is actually about political posturing over resources and geopolitical control.

He's basically like a war general that will give up small concessions in territory, which to the eyes of the common men seem like tactical failures, in order to accomplish greater strategic objectives.

I am sorry, but this is the single most inaccurate portrayal of Donald Trump in the history of this forum.

If anything, he's the exact opposite: a general that will stage meaningless symbolic victories that look like great triumphs to the common man, while conceding (however unwittingly) giant long-term losses to which only his most knowledgeable generals and enemies are privy.

Like basically everything with China: people in China and recently-immigrated Chinese Americans LOVE Donald Trump because of all the good he is unwittingly doing for China in the areas of trade, energy development, public investment, etc.

....I mean, do you really see Donald Trump as the long-con guy who is willing to let little losses dent his ego? The guy can't even pass up responding getting called a dildo on Twitter by a reality tv star.

Hyperbole btw. I know it is 500,000 cases of cholera, not deaths.
Genocide works if the intent is to wipe out a group bases on nationality, ethnicity, race, or religion. It doesn't matter if the mechanism is bullets or disease.

The Donald, as always, sees the big picture. You won't hold any weight with the Saudis if you don't work with them, to a degree.

I'm sure he will force Israel to throw Palestine a bone or two as well, after the relatively meaningless declaration of Jerusalem as Israel's capital, to establish himself as a "safe" guy in the eyes of Israelis.

I really hope this is true. I thought this was what he was doing on the campaign trail and at the beginning of his presidency, but the last 7 or 8 months have been a nightmare. I'd be really happy to see him act in the interest of the bigger picture more often, but I'm worried that this is just another impulsive move. Like he just heard about Yemen and was like, "That's bad, tell them to stop." Then tomorrow he'll hear about some Yemeni dude killing Saudi troops and he'll say, "That's awful, blockade their ports."

I am sorry, but this is the single most inaccurate portrayal of Donald Trump in the history of this forum.

If anything, he's the exact opposite: a general that will stage meaningless symbolic victories that look like great triumphs to the common man, while conceding (however unwittingly) giant long-term losses to which only his most knowledgeable generals and enemies are privy.

Like basically everything with China: people in China and recently-immigrated Chinese Americans LOVE Donald Trump because of all the good he is unwittingly doing for China in the areas of trade, energy development, public investment, etc.

....I mean, do you really see Donald Trump as the long-con guy who is willing to let little losses dent his ego? The guy can't even pass up responding getting called a dildo on Twitter by a reality tv star.

Obviously I was being facetious, but I do think that Trump has proven that he can possess this quality. I think he is more deliberate than people think.

The great mistake that people make, is to think that ego-driven people are blinded and made ignorant by their self-absorbedness. According to what I've observed, this seemingly "narcissistic" behaviour is as often the result of a deliberate system of calculated responses, than it is of spontaneous, emotionally-driven action. Although when exercised over a long period of time, it may appear to be such.

I think Trump subscribes to the belief that he cannot condition people to think that they can pass a slight by him without getting a response. This serves to intimidate most of the people who deal with him on a personal basis, from attempting to insult him, in fear of the response. It also conditions people to expect him to respond, thus he is not held to the same standard as people who do not respond, and are emasculated in that sense. It empowers him in the sense that he has created his own set of rules that people expect him to abide by, while still subjecting themselves and the others to the rules shared by the overall society.

He's willing to win symbolic victories when it is beneficial. Every war general understands the meaning of symbolic victories, to boost morale. But these symbolic victories must be won, only for the purpose of preventing a morale collapse from the conceded ground that is required for strategic victories.

Last edited:

3 years more, hang on!

what do saudis want to expand the wahhabi version of islam?

so if Iran is overthrow government does that then mean their wahhabi ideology will take root in Iran? same in yemen?

3 years more, hang on!

_62558092_15.thecountand8-richardtermine.jpg

<{cruzshake}><{nope}><{hughesimpress}>

Hyperbole btw. I know it is 500,000 cases of cholera, not deaths.

Well, to be fair, across the Muslim world, leaders tell people that vaccines and medicine are plots by the west, so that dead by cholera number could skyrocket, but I get your point.

what do saudis want to expand the wahhabi version of islam?

so if Iran is overthrow government does that then mean their wahhabi ideology will take root in Iran? same in yemen?
what a joke, if anything the saudi dog family will be gone in the next 15years.

Although the blockade later eased and showed signs of breaking on Wednesday, Yemen’s situation remained dire. About 8 million people are on the brink of famine with outbreaks of cholera and diphtheria.

ironic considering how rich they are

I suppose you can't eat oil huh

Back