Trump breaks with 20 years of archaic tradition, skips Ramadan dinner [progress] [secularism]

President Trump issued a statement Saturday greeting Muslims as they celebrate the holiday of Eid al-Fitr, breaking with nearly two decades of tradition of holding an iftar dinner to commemorate Ramadan.

“On behalf of the American people,” President Trump said in the statement, “Melania and I send our warm greetings to Muslims as they celebrate Eid al-Fitr.”

The holiday marks the end of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month of fasting.

The dinners began under President Clinton and were continued by President George W. Bush and Barack Obama. The iftar dinner at the White House is usually attended by prominent members of the Muslim community, diplomats and Congress members.
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...reaks-ramadan-dinner-tradition?rnd=1498352613

I assume this move will be highly appreciated by the political left in the US since we've learned multiple times that religion has no place in public life.
Another hollow gesture to deflect from the fact he balked like a bitch on campaign rhetoric and flip-flopped on Saudi Arabia for no identifiable reason outside a 12-digit military industrial complex contract.

Nevertheless, while I am not duped, I am pleased.

Another hollow gesture to deflect from the fact he balked like a bitch on campaign rhetoric and flip-flopped on Saudi Arabia for no identifiable reason outside a 12-digit military industrial complex contract.
I don't think so, the statement he released sounds really nice, very much like his "Islam is one of the great religions". Definitely not written for an anti-Islam crowd.
I guess he simply prefered the wedding over a Muslim dinner because he thought it would be more fun.

I don't think so, the statement he released sounds really nice, very much like his "Islam is one of the great religions". Definitely not written for an anti-Islam crowd.
I guess he simply prefered the wedding over a Muslim dinner because he thought it would be more fun.
Baby steps by a man with baby hands.

Baby steps by a man with baby hands.
36B781F800000578-3720413-image-a-1_1470164954452.jpg

AND yet it was democrats that started birtherism.

Actually, it was Obama's biographer and Michelle who started it:

bookbio.jpg

Of course, Odummy accidentally talking about his Muslim faith didn't help matters:

bookbio.jpg

Of course, Odummy accidentally talking about his Muslim faith didn't help matters:

What a great President!!

The last time we had a neighborhood Easter Eggs Hunt at the local park, all kids were welcome to join in the fun, and there's no religious requirement for the game. I assume this non-secular nature apply to the annual Easter picnic at the White House's lawn.

Remind us again, which religion celebrate Spring by painting eggs and petting fluffy bunnies in their holy text, as instructed by their prophet?
I think it comes from european paganism. Hail Wotan!

Meh, he is not wrong. He was talking about his muslim faith, he says he doesn't have it.
It's like if people were saying he is gay and he replied:
About my homosexuality question, I'm not gay.

I do think Obama is gay or bi though. His relationship with that gay professor and some things he said make me suspicious. Not that it matters.

Religion has no place in government. Any religion. And yes, that includes islam. And christianity.

bookbio.jpg

Hates fake media, and hates when president is slandered, posts bullshit about previous president.

Probably because that girl is also smart and has a career.

Unlike Drumpf mail-order brides who need to be changed every few years and are complete airheads.
She's an actress. Probably an air head.

Kind of an empty gesture tbh, I'd much rather he actually stood up to the Saudis which is basically queen bee of spawning terrorism. Its like a bone he is throwing to the ignorant masses to say "Hey, I'm still fighting the good fight against Islamic terrorism by not having this meaningless dinner".

I don't think so. Are you referring to the establishment clause? If so, what's he doing wrong?

If he is only promoting Christian celebrations as POTUS at White House sanctioned events this could be seen as a breech of the clause.

If he is only promoting Christian celebrations as POTUS at White House sanctioned events this could be seen as a breech of the clause.
Not buying it. If he identifies as Christian and invites people to the WH to celebrate the holiday, how is that possibly a breach of the establishment clause? "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..."

Back