Trump brags about great deception used by GOP to pass Tax Reform Bill

ShoelessRye

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
President Trump was so excited about passing his first major piece of legislation Wednesday that he blurted out that the Republican Party had misrepresented the entire bill, handing Democrats some potentially troublesome talking points for the 2018 midterm elections.
But along the way, Trump basically admitted that the GOP's talking points on the bill weren't exactly honest in two major ways.

While talking about the corporate tax rate being cut from 35 percent to 21 percent, Trump said, “That's probably the biggest factor in our plan.”

The problem? Republicans have been selling this legislation as a middle-class tax cut, first and foremost.

A sampling:

• “The entire purpose of this is to lower middle class taxes.” — House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.)
  • “Primarily, and priority number one, is middle-class Americans.” — White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders
  • “The theme behind this bill is to get middle-class tax relief for most people in the middle class.” — Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Fox News on Tuesday

So who is lying here - is it Trump and the Corporate Tax Cuts wasn't the biggest factor or was it the Republican Congress who was selling the middle class tax relief? Well one expires in ten years and one is permanent.

But that's not all -

Trump's second admission was about the Affordable Care Act's individual mandate being repealed in the bill. Apparently eager to argue that this constituted his having cut taxes and slain Obamacare in one fell swoop (after Congress came up short on Obamacare this year), he argued that repealing the individual mandate was basically the same as repealing Obamacare.

But, he said, he told Republicans not to talk about that. Trump said he told allies to "be quiet with the fake news media because I don't want them talking too much about it."

“Now that it's approved, I can say that,” he said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...were-deceptively-sold/?utm_term=.c7cdf6f448a9

But hey, if your lucky and live in the right part of the country your taxes might go down $80 a month. Of course your healthcare premiums will go up 10% minimum - so at best your probably break even while the millionaires and billionaires rake in hundreds of thousands and millions and the deficit explodes and now medicare and social security will be targeted.

President Trump was so excited about passing his first major piece of legislation Wednesday that he blurted out that the Republican Party had misrepresented the entire bill, handing Democrats some potentially troublesome talking points for the 2018 midterm elections.
But along the way, Trump basically admitted that the GOP's talking points on the bill weren't exactly honest in two major ways.

While talking about the corporate tax rate being cut from 35 percent to 21 percent, Trump said, “That's probably the biggest factor in our plan.”

The problem? Republicans have been selling this legislation as a middle-class tax cut, first and foremost.

A sampling:

• “The entire purpose of this is to lower middle class taxes.” — House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.)
  • “Primarily, and priority number one, is middle-class Americans.” — White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders
  • “The theme behind this bill is to get middle-class tax relief for most people in the middle class.” — Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Fox News on Tuesday

So who is lying here - is it Trump and the Corporate Tax Cuts wasn't the biggest factor or was it the Republican Congress who was selling the middle class tax relief? Well one expires in ten years and one is permanent.

But that's not all -

Trump's second admission was about the Affordable Care Act's individual mandate being repealed in the bill. Apparently eager to argue that this constituted his having cut taxes and slain Obamacare in one fell swoop (after Congress came up short on Obamacare this year), he argued that repealing the individual mandate was basically the same as repealing Obamacare.

But, he said, he told Republicans not to talk about that. Trump said he told allies to "be quiet with the fake news media because I don't want them talking too much about it."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...were-deceptively-sold/?utm_term=.c7cdf6f448a9

But hey, if your lucky and live in the right part of the country your taxes might go down $80 a month. Of course your healthcare premiums will go up 10% minimum - so at best your probably break even while the millionaires and billionaires rake in hundreds of thousands and millions and the deficit explodes and now medicare and social security will be targeted.

I've said it before and i'll say it again: this is what politics look like when our representatives aren't accountable. Nothing is out of reach.

A sampling:

But that's not all -

I've said it before and i'll say it again: this is what politics look like when our representatives aren't accountable. Nothing is out of reach.
And this is why it is a fucking tragedy when they get us arguing over tranny bathrooms and gay wedding cakes.

And this is why it is a fucking tragedy when they get us arguing over tranny bathroom's and gay wedding cakes.
Yeah but it's extremely effective. Tax numbers on a chart don't define who we think we are personally. In a society obsessed with class, it's social factors- real or imagine- that inform our sense of self in relation to where we place other people along the ladder next to us. Come hell or high water, i'm not gonna let someone tell me i'm not better than a sick transgender freak, etc. Or in much more subtle and less vitriolic ways. There's a line from Mississippi Burning i've mentioned a time or three on here before: "If you ain't better than a n*****, who are you better than?". Swap out the N word for any number of things- left, right, whatever- and you've got identity politics in a nutshell.
Numbers on a chart don't matter nearly as much if you're the guy that I think is trying to preserve my place in the world.

Last edited:
I see no problem here. Another made up controversy you guys have become known for.

I see no problem here. Another made up controversy you guys have become known for.
Of course you see no problem with lying about the "biggest factor" of a piece of major legislation that Pence was desperately trying to brand the "middleclass miracle" even yesterday nor flatly obfuscating the mandate repeal which Trump claims "destroys Obamacare" when only mere months ago they couldn't pass that outright when they tried. Can't do it outright - sneak it into a larger tax bill and then order everybody not to talk about it.

Yeah, no problems with that at all.

Of course you see no problem with lying about the "biggest factor" of a piece of major legislation that Pence was desperately trying to brand the "middleclass miracle" even yesterday nor flatly obfuscating the mandate repeal which Trump claims "destroys Obamacare" when only mere months ago they couldn't pass that outright when they tried. Can't do it outright - sneak it into a larger tax bill and then order everybody not to talk about it.

I'm just not outraged over semantics. This bill looks like it makes the middle class tax cuts the #1 priority by ensuring everyone in the middle class gets one while richer people see some increases. With that said the biggest factor in regards to the impact on the economy and jobs is going to be that corporate rate.

As far as not advertising the repeal of the Obamacare mandate...well thats politics. The GOP base wanted it and they did what they needed to do to get it done. No different than when Democrats are in office.

Repealing the mandate is a great thing. If you have to buy insurance by law, they charge you more. That is basic truth.

This is some desperate shit. Libs have been whining about the bill for that very reason, and now that it's passed, it was some kind of deception? Really?

When exactly wasn't the corporate tax break a big selling point of the bill? You're acting like it was some kind of secret.

Last edited:
This is kind of a dishonest indictment of Trump, isn't it?

I think most analysts on the left and right agree that the corporate tax cut is actually the most defensible aspect of the plan: it's just that the average American doesn't like corporate tax cuts and wants them to be taxed at a higher rate, so optics demand emphasis on income tax cuts.

If they could have just cut the corporate tax rate, we'd all be better off, but they'd also take flack from their benefactors and at least some of their constituents.

This is some desperate shit. Libs have been whining about the bill for that very reason, and now that it's passed, it was some kind of deception? Really?

When exactly wasn't the corporate tax break a big selling point of the bill? You're acting like is was some kind of secret.

...it was never a "big selling point of the bill."

Corporate tax cuts are extremely unpopular with Americans. More than half of the country affirmatively believes corporations don't pay enough, which isn't necessarily tied directly to the nominal corporate rate, but still.

I would be very much for a reduction of the corporate tax rate that simultaneously hardened the rate and simplified it to an extent that it was equally burdensome compliance and navigation-wise on big corporations as it is on small ones. From what I have read, the GOP wasn't even able to do that.

Honestly are you surprised by this? This is politics it's the way it's always been. I will say it was nice of Trump to just come out and say it. I don't know if he's an idiot or just give's 0 fucks. I'm leaning more towards gives 0 fucks because he clearly knew when he couldn't talk about it.

A guy working in a cubicle paying a higher percentage than Walmart is great for the middle class. MAGA.

Honestly are you surprised by this? This is politics it's the way it's always been. I will say it was nice of Trump to just come out and say it. I don't know if he's an idiot or just give's 0 fucks. I'm leaning more towards gives 0 fucks because he clearly knew when he couldn't talk about it.

He should have talked about it anyway. As this thread is proving, his supporters would have championed it either way.

This isn't deception. Everyone who paid attention knew this was about corporate tax cuts and the personal cut was just a way to get everyday Americans to buy in. Completely unnecessary, imo, because the corporate rate cut should have been passed on it's own. It's more obvious when you see the calculators out there and they show a decrease in the absolute effective tax rate for most people will be less than 2% while the same reduction for corporations will be in the double digits.

And repealing the penalty is effectively repealing the core of Obamacare. It's just bad policy because the government is still required to pay subsidies for people on the exchanges. So, all it's really done is eliminate part of how the government will pay for the rest of it. Which is why any half-intelligent person should support the mandate so long as the subsidies issue is still in effect. But Congress isn't about smart governance anymore but simplistic gotcha points, we get what we get.

I'm still wrapping my head around how the switch to a territorial tax system will impact U.S. companies.

Still, estate tax and pass through deductions will help me sleep at night.

McConnell & Ryan actually care about the middle class?
HA! Since when?

Paul Ryan would sell your family if the opportunity was available.
Mitch McConnell makes Joseph Stalin look like Walt Disney.

Last edited:
...it was never a "big selling point of the bill."

Corporate tax cuts are extremely unpopular with Americans. More than half of the country affirmatively believes corporations don't pay enough, which isn't necessarily tied directly to the nominal corporate rate, but still.

But it was a big selling point. Hence the unpopular consensus of the bill. It's one of the most unpopular pieces of legislature to pass. People know what it is. It's trickle down. It was never a secret. The idea is that it's gonna work this time. We'll see.

I just find it to be a rather big reach to accuse Trump of pulling a fast one here. The details of the bill have been well reported on for quite some time, and Trump sure as shit wasn't hiding the fact that the corporate tax breaks were going to help America become competitive and bring jobs back.

But it was a big selling point. Hence the unpopular consensus of the bill. It's one of the most unpopular pieces of legislature to pass. People know what it is. It's trickle down. It was never a secret. The idea is that it's gonna work this time. We'll see.

I just find it to be a rather big reach to accuse Trump of pulling a fast one here. The details of the bill have been well reported on for quite some time, and Trump sure as shit wasn't hiding the fact that the corporate tax breaks were going to help America become competitive and bring jobs back.

I agree for the most part, and I frankly never allocate much blame onto Trump for anything substantive/non-Twitter-related given how obviously out of the loop he is on matter of substance. For all I know, he really thinks this is a huge windfall for Joe Schmo.

But there's no doubt that Paul Ryan and Trump alike were touting this as a windfall for the middle class, not for multinational corporations. You and I (and everyone on this board) may have seen through that, but there are undeniably millions of semi-literate rubes really regurgitating this stuff about how this is going to be great for them and how Obama was strangling the poor to the benefit of the rich/Muslims/terrorists/BLM.

McConnell & Ryan actually care about the middle class?
HA! Since when?

Paul Ryan would sell your family if the opportunity was available.
Mitch McConnell makes Joseph Stalin look like Walt Disney.

On my list of human beings I hate most:

1. Mitch McConnell
2. Joseph Stalin

And that's not a joke. I'll throw Reagan in there somewhere on the basis of his policy, but he was certainly a much less despicable human being than McConnell.

Back