Trump asks SEC to study potentially scrapping quarterly earnings reports

Trotsky

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm conflicted as to this move. On one hand, moving American corporations away from short-term pressures and allowing greater emphasis on long-term development is a good thing.

On the other hand, I cannot imagine this move having any tangible effect on those incentives, other than a marginal reduction of administrative costs. In reality, this would seem to, more than anything, undermine transparency and allow more greater incidence of insider trading and ripping off investors generally.

While the purported objective - widening the scope of corporate decision making away from decisions based on quarterly earnings - has merit, I am skeptical that depriving investors of information is the proper avenue to achieve it. This smacks of more policy making for the powerful.

@JonesBones @PolishHeadlock @Jack V Savage - what say you?

US president Donald Trump has asked the Securities and Exchange Commission to consider scrapping the demand that public companies report their earnings every three months, weighing in on a practice many blame for corporate short-termism.

The unexpected intervention in a debate that has exercised executives and large investors came in a Twitter post in which Mr Trump said he had asked “some of the world’s top business leaders” what would improve business and the US job market. Indra Nooyi, PepsiCo’s outgoing chief executive, had suggested shifting from quarterly reporting to a “six-month system”, he said, predicting that such a move would “allow greater flexibility & save money”. Mr Trump said he had asked the SEC to study the matter.

Jay Clayton, chairman of the SEC, said it was already considering measures to encourage long-term capital formation while preserving or strengthening investor protections. Critics of the quarterly system have argued that the longstanding Wall Street tradition is costly, distracts companies from focusing on longer-term financial and strategic goals, and may deter companies from going public.

Its defenders say it improves transparency, and argue that longer intervals between financial disclosures create more incentive for insider trading. Pressure for a more long-term approach to business has been building on several fronts, with a coalition of business leaders and asset managers calling two-years ago for US companies to end quarterly earnings guidance, rather than ending quarterly reporting altogether. US companies are not obliged to provide such guidance, but most do, running the risk of being punished by investors if they miss their forecasts. Ms Nooyi said many market participants and the Business Roundtable have been “discussing how to better orient corporations to have a more long-term view”. “My comments were made in that broader context, and included a suggestion to explore the harmonisation of the European system and the US system of financial reporting.

In the end, all companies have to balance short-term and long-term performance,” she added. The US, which mandated quarterly reporting in 1970, has become an outlier in demanding public companies issue financial reports every three months. In 2013, the European Commission abolished the requirement, saying it posed an unnecessary burden on small and medium-sized companies.

Paul Polman, chief executive of Unilever, scrapped the company’s quarterly reports on his first day in the job in 2009, and BlackRock’s Larry Fink has talked of “quarterly earnings hysteria”. In June, Jamie Dimon, JPMorgan Chase chief executive, and Berkshire Hathaway’s Warren Buffett led a group of almost 200 US chief executives in arguing that such short-termism was harming the economy. “The pressure to meet short-term earnings estimates has contributed to the decline in the number of public companies in America over the past two decades,” they wrote.

A team from City University and Duke University’s Fuqua School concluded in 2014 that more frequent reporting contributed to “managerial myopia”. Professor Rahul Vashishtha, one of the authors, said on Friday it was “sensible” to review a system that put excessive pressure on executives to manage quarter by quarter.

Robert Pozen, a senior lecturer at MIT Sloan School of Management, warned however that it was “a red herring” to think corporate short-termism would be ended by moving to six-monthly reporting. “Six months is nobody’s idea of long term,” he said.

Mr Pozen said he had studied the impact of the UK moving to a quarterly reporting regime in 2007, and found no evidence that it affected investment in research and development. Instead, he argued, companies should end their practice of projecting results for individual quarters. “There is no [SEC] requirement for quarterly projections or guidance. It’s something companies have chosen to do,” he said.

In defence of corporate quarterly reports Many London-quoted companies abandoned quarterly reporting after the Financial Conduct Authority, the UK regulator, removed the requirement for listed companies to publish interim management statements in 2014. Mr Trump’s call for an SEC study was “a significant and positive intervention”, said Chris Cummings, chief executive of the UK’s Investment Association, which represents asset management companies. “The challenge for many global companies . . . is that the SEC rules in the US require them to report quarterly in order to list in America,” he said. Mr Trump’s move comes as his administration’s business-friendly reputation has been tested by his trade policy. Several business groups have spoken out to argue that the costs of tariffs could outweigh the benefits of the cut to corporate tax rates passed by Congress in December.

https://www.ft.com/content/c1d133aa-a211-11e8-85da-eeb7a9ce36e4

It is a cost born by business but there is also a benefit to the reporting.

There would have to be an analysis of the cost vs the benefit. I don't know where the benefit stops equaling the cost.

I hate the idea.

Shorts would now have half a year to drum up rumors in between earnings reports

I hate the idea.

Shorts would now have half a year to drum up rumors in between earnings reports

Yea, I can see the pros matching the cons on less reports in the sense, you have a bad one and you have a longer time dealing with it compared to a good one.

I'm conflicted as to this move. On one hand, moving American corporations away from short-term pressures and allowing greater emphasis on long-term development is a good thing.

On the other hand, I cannot imagine this move having any tangible effect on those incentives, other than a marginal reduction of administrative costs. In reality, this would seem to, more than anything, undermine transparency and allow more greater incidence of insider trading and ripping off investors generally.

While the purported objective - widening the scope of corporate decision making away from decisions based on quarterly earnings - has merit, I am skeptical that depriving investors of information is the proper avenue to achieve it. This smacks of more policy making for the powerful.

Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing here. Good that corporate america wouldn't work to the quarterly report, bad that it would increase opportunity for fraud.

It is the sort of metric any business would be monitoring internally anyway, so the argument that it costs money does not stack up.

Other more important red tape issues out there.

Hmm. I can see some value in the idea. Some cons, too. I'll have to think about it. If it really is just asking the SEC to consider it, that's a good idea.

Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing here. Good that corporate america wouldn't work to the quarterly report, bad that it would increase opportunity for fraud.

Let's remember that corporate America currently has the option of not working to the quarterly report.

I agree with it but since it’s Trumps idea, I’ll fight it to the death. He’s literally hitler.

It is the sort of metric any business would be monitoring internally anyway, so the argument that it costs money does not stack up.

Other more important red tape issues out there.

Managerial accounting is what they monitor internally. That is a bit different.

It's a good idea because it discourages short term thinking. These companies are still slaves to analysts though. They will just be slaves twice a year now instead of four.

As an investor, I would personally prefer quarterly because I like action and volatility. Having it reduced from 4 events to 2 would make those 2 more volatile but too spread out. I like earnings season because companies are crashing left and right. Many rising too. But I like it is as a good opportunity to buy good stocks cheap. But yeah, these companies have to worry about this shit and the most important part of their business becomes tweaking these numbers for analysts.

An accounting report is like a photograph. It never shows the real you. Just like one fight or game doesn't show your best skill set. Your hair may be a little off. You didn't shower. You wore sweatpants. You look like Ronda Rousey in public basically. But then for one day you can present Rousey all airbrushed and shit for a one day photo shoot and make her look good. It just creates an artificial system and is a big reason why Japan collapsed.

WAtch this starting at around 51:35 for about 10 minutes. He explains how this started. It started with ratios.

Yea, I can see the pros matching the cons on less reports in the sense, you have a bad one and you have a longer time dealing with it compared to a good one.

Shareholder value will not be helped by this IMO.

The Feds and Trump included should stay away from this. They create messes where there is not one. Blowback is a bitch

It wasn’t that long ago politicians were screaming about CEO pay. So many companies switched to a stock based pay. It did nothing but widen the pay gap even more.

It's a good idea because it discourages short term thinking. These companies are still slaves to analysts though. They will just be slaves twice a year now instead of four.

As an investor, I would personally prefer quarterly because I like action and volatility. Having it reduced from 4 events to 2 would make those 2 more volatile but too spread out. I like earnings season because companies are crashing left and right. Many rising too. But I like it is as a good opportunity to buy good stocks cheap. But yeah, these companies have to worry about this shit and the most important part of their business becomes tweaking these numbers for analysts.

An accounting report is like a photograph. It never shows the real you. Just like one fight or game doesn't show your best skill set. Your hair may be a little off. You didn't shower. You wore sweatpants. You look like Ronda Rousey in public basically. But then for one day you can present Rousey all airbrushed and shit for a one day photo shoot and make her look good. It just creates an artificial system and is a big reason why Japan collapsed.

WAtch this starting at around 51:35 for about 10 minutes. He explains how this started. It started with ratios.

A balance sheet is a picture in time but p&l would capture the period as a whole rather than the final day. It doesn't matter if you pretty up the final day earnings if the rest of the quarter sucked.

A balance sheet is a picture in time but p&l would capture the period as a whole rather than the final day. It doesn't matter if you pretty up the final day earnings if the rest of the quarter sucked.

Best post so far.

Shareholder value will not be helped by this IMO.

The Feds and Trump included should stay away from this. They create messes where there is not one. Blowback is a bitch

It wasn’t that long ago politicians were screaming about CEO pay. So many companies switched to a stock based pay. It did nothing but widen the pay gap even more.

That was a problem initially until people started realizing that giving away stock options did delude the stock and there actually was a con to it. Initially, company's just thought it was a free write off the way it is reported but they eventually sobered up. It's not as bad as it use to be.

i say we go weekly.

What matters is cash flow and guidance. That is pumped up through short term investments that lead to long term problems. There is no real time frame because it is a dynamic process of short term investments. There is no goal even except to make more money. The cult of cash flow. These companies revolve around having cash flows to please analysts.

And this leads to Japan because Japan has a ton of cash but is still massively in debt. This scenario has already been played out in Japan.

Back