Trump Administration to Step Up US Arms Sales(Trump Getting Personally Involved)

I’m sure if we search your history we’ll see all your antiobama threads on this
Another foolish post by you this week. They are piling up fast.

The search function here does not go back very far, but Homer has a history of speaking out on this under Obama, and I'm confident that anybody familiar with his posting over the years will back that up. I think this post from May '17 is a good example of how I've seen Homer talk about arms dealing and foreign policy in the middle east:

Obama also put the kibosh on some big pieces of an arms deal at the end of his Presidency over concerns with Saudi Arabia's actions in Yemen. Although, we have largely supported their war there.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-saudiarabia-yemen-exclusive-idUSKBN1421UK

Trump has decided to offer them the biggest arms deal in history, and is not restricting it at all from what I can gather. Again, Obama is no saint here. But, to paint him as particularly beholden to the Saudis is misinformed at best.

http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/130159357/

Homer shows that he is able to tell the difference between actual arms deals that presidents sign off on. He has always criticized the Obama administration for their role in arming the region, though he manages to keep his head about it rather than play "both sides" with his opinions, where all sides must be equal despite being demonstrably different. Notice two, (one, and then two) repudiations of our foreign policy under Obama while still differentiating his policy from current policy.

For you to accuse him of intellectual dishonesty on this is stupid, particularly because this issue is one of two (the other being campaign finance/lobbying) where I've seen homer criticize anyone & everyone, regardless of political affinity.

Another foolish post by you this week. They are piling up fast.

The search function here does not go back very far, but Homer has a history of speaking out on this under Obama, and I'm confident that anybody familiar with his posting over the years will back that up. I think this post from May '17 is a good example of how I've seen Homer talk about arms dealing and foreign policy in the middle east:

http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/130159357/

Homer shows that he is able to tell the difference between actual arms deals that presidents sign off on. He has always criticized the Obama administration for their role in arming the region, though he manages to keep his head about it rather than play "both sides" with his opinions, where all sides must be equal despite being demonstrably different. Notice two, (one, and then two) repudiations of our foreign policy under Obama while still differentiating his policy from current policy.

For you to accuse him of intellectual dishonesty on this is stupid, particularly because this issue is one of two (the other being campaign finance/lobbying) where I've seen homer criticize anyone & everyone, regardless of political affinity.

Ye way different because h said no saint

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Trump administration is nearing completion of a new “Buy American” plan that calls for U.S. military attaches and diplomats to help drum up billions of dollars more in business overseas for the American weapons industry, going beyond the assistance they currently provide, U.S. officials said.

President Donald Trump as early as February is expected to announce a “whole of government” effort to ease export rules on purchases by foreign countries of U.S.-made military equipment, from fighter jets and drones to warships and artillery, according to people familiar with the plan.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-play-bigger-role-on-arms-sales-idUSKBN1EX0WX

Thank god we're doing something sensible for the world. Finally, President Trump is doing a good thing by arming the globe. Now there should be a ton more, "Good guys with guns.". We should see an end to violence, and war really soon.

MAGA!!!

From the article:

“We want to see those guys, the commercial and military attaches, unfettered to be salesmen for this stuff, to be promoters,” said the senior administration official, who is close to the internal deliberations and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Just disgusting.
Hopefully this does wonders for my investments.

I'd rather we end our rampant militarism, and that includes not arming the rest of the globe, and helping to foment strife.

I'm also in favor of stronger international arms control treaties. But, only one country can really make a push for something like that, and they're a little busy with their MIC right now. Having tea parties and shit.
What arms control treaties should be stronger.

Yeah, there is a long standing doctrine for that -- Mutual Assured Destruction
Until destruction isn’t mutual anymore.

Ye way different because h said no saint
Why don't you just sack up (you're not at risk of being shown more a fool), ask him his views, and accept what he tells you then? I would call bullshit on him in a second if I think he's bullshitting, as would others.

That would work out a lot better for you, both in terms of your reputation for intellectual honesty and in terms of you actually understanding what in the Christ you're talking about.

What I don't understand is how is the government selling weapons when they are manufactured by private companies? So why is it always the US. GOV selling weapons to Israel and not Raytheon or some such? Do the private companies not sell over seas and only the Government does?

Also, why shouldn't we sell arms to our allies? I mean, the stronger they are, the less we will have to act like their military and defend them.. I mean look at all those free loading EU nations with sub 2% military expenditures. Fuckers refuse to spend anything, instead spending all that money on social programs(to their benefit, and it is a smart move on their part) while we spend our money acting as their real defense force.

I for one and ok with selling them arms. HOPEFULLY at some point we can scale back our bases there, and close them. Save that money for our Citizens and some real meaningful Social programs.
A US company needs licenses to export arms or duel use items to other countries/people/foreign companies. If you are a company that’s selling X weapon to Germany most of the time you’ll have to apply for a license through a customs broker. All the licensing paperwork and material then gets sent to Commerce or State to be approved. It depends if it’s Export Administration Regulation or International Traffic in Arms Reg. Sometimes the DOE and tresasuy will get involved too. Depends on what the Export is or if the person/designated individual is one one list or another with Treasury.

What arms control treaties should be stronger.
I was saying that I want new, stronger arms control treaties.

For example: I think it should be illegal to sell weapons to any country that isn't Democratic in nature. So, that means no weapons systems to Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Pakistan, etc.

I want the Middle East to be a Nuclear Free Zone(I'm looking at you, Israel).

Also, spare me the stupid posts about how it isn't realistic. I know, but that doesn't mean that I won't advocate for what I believe is right.

@Kframe
But sometime a license from the US government is not required. In the case of the EAR it will say what restrictions a certain weapon or technology has. For instance National Security, Anti terror, chemical biological, nuclear etc.
From there the Country chart is examined to see if for instance Germany falls under any of those restrictions. If so then a license would be needed for that weapon/technology.

If not then the analyst or customs broker should continue to do their due diligence and check other regulations, particularly with Treasury, to see if they can continue with the export of this weapon. Unless they wanna get their dick slapped with a hefty fine.

The kind of arms we're talking about here are not small arms that can be made at Khyber Pass, we're talking about top of the line weapons systems like tanks and jets and guided missiles and whatnot. That is not something the Saudis could start making in a few years if we stopped selling to them, it requires a massive defense industry that can't be built overnight

Iran did manage to manufacture missiles in the fashion of an pretty decent automobile industry despite years of sanctions.

i think it might have actually been the sanctions that motivated them to start and sustain that homegrown industry (I have no proof for this tho).

Last edited:
Obama generated the most weaponry sales to forigen countries since any other president from ww2 to now. He doubled what Bush Jr did.

This is not a Dotard thing, its a common practice among American leaders -- even Nobel Peace Prize winning ones.
Obama actually blocked a large weapons sale package to Saudi Arabia over their war in Yemen. Trump lifted the block.

I don't have an issue with weapon sales, the issue all Americans should have is with which countries are getting these weapons.

I was saying that I want new, stronger arms control treaties.

For example: I think it should be illegal to sell weapons to any country that isn't Democratic in nature. So, that means no weapons systems to Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Pakistan, etc.

I want the Middle East to be a Nuclear Free Zone(I'm looking at you, Israel).

Also, spare me the stupid posts about how it isn't realistic. I know, but that doesn't mean that I won't advocate for what I believe is right.
https://m.ranker.com/list/countries-ruled-by-democracy/reference

Pakistan is on that list

Pakistan ain't a democracy. You really think a list by some publication is going to overturn reality? Pakistan is ruled by their Military-Security apparatus, which is the Army and ISI. Their civilian government plays second fiddle and has to acquiesce to the Army and ISI. If the civilian government steps out of line, they get overthrown.
Trotsky has assured me that Iran for one is a democracy and the happiest place on earth. So going by that standard, Pakistan is too

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Trump administration rolled out a long-awaited overhaul of U.S. arms export policy on Thursday aimed at expanding sales to allies, saying it will bolster the American defense industry and create jobs at home.

The White House aims to cut the time it takes to approve arms deals, lowering the hurdle to bigger sales and sales of more powerful weapons, and increasing the role of senior U.S. officials in shepherding deals across the finish line, as earlier reported by Reuters.

The initiative builds on President Donald Trump’s efforts to personally boost arms sales on calls with foreign heads of state.

Companies that stand to benefit from the new policy most include Boeing Co (BA.N) and the other top U.S. defense contractors, Lockheed Martin Corp (LMT.N), Raytheon Co (RTN.N), General Dynamics Corp (GD.N) and Northrop Grumman Corp (NOC.N).

The plans have been in the works for a year, with White House trade adviser Peter Navarro playing a major role in driving the project forward.

Navarro said in a statement the new policies “will create American manufacturing jobs, strengthen our allies and partners, support a robust defense industrial base at home, and promote American economic and security interests abroad.”

Human rights will now carry equal weight alongside other considerations in planned arms sales including the needs of allied nations and the economic loss if the U.S. contractor does not win the sale when decisions are made on whether to approve an arms deal.

“This is a balanced policy,” said Ambassador Tina Kaidanow, an official with the State Department who oversees arms export agreements. “We absolutely look at human rights as one of a set of considerations that we look at.”

The planned revision of U.S. weapons export policy also includes a new drone export policy that allows smaller lethal drones that can fire missiles and surveillance drones of all sizes will soon become more widely available to U.S. allies, Reuters reported in March.

Two potential beneficiaries of the rule changes, Textron Inc (TXT.N) and Kratos Defense and Security Solutions Inc (KTOS.O), currently market smaller armed drones internationally.

The full text of the drone policy will remain classified along a list of potential buyers being given fast-track treatment is expanding to include more countries, a State Department official told Reuters this week.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...t-u-s-weapons-sales-abroad-idUSKBN1HQ2E6?il=0

Overly simplistic assessment, man. We foment the conflicts, and arm both sides. We're creating a much more dangerous world by doing this.

The upside is getting to take in all the culturally copper-age war refugees. So I see the glass as half full.

God damn, you're a boring idiot.
You said democracy. They are a democracy. So now you’re going to redefine democracy. That's fine. Pakistan sucks. It’s just full of people who vote for that shit. Indonesia is voting that way now too. So you’re going to have to define what democracy you’re ok with then

So, take Guns away from your own citizens, give them to anyone else who wants them?

What could possibly go wrong?

I don't think they do much exporting, and they are the most basic versions.
Military juntas tend to overspend on their toys.
My point was that its outdated hardware.
The military is now in charge of a lions share of the goods and services produced in Egypt.
Sounds like communism to me.
Iran did manage to manufacture missiles in the fashion of an pretty decent automobile industry despite years of sanctions.

i think it might have actually been the sanctions that motivated them to start and sustain that homegrown industry (I have no proof for this tho).
I have I heard a little bit about that, Iran is probably the most self sufficient country because of the sanctions. Before the Shah could buy pretty much anything he wanted from the US.

Back