Trump administration eliminates animal welfare rules

Good! I'm tired of my taxes going to support lazy animals! Pull yourselves up by your boot straps and get a jerb!

Right, I shouldn't worry about the run off of large chicken farms and the pollution it cause to our water systems. Because who the hell cares about clean drinking water. As usual there is more to the issue. It was a huge problem for Arkansas, that's why they put tighter restrictions on poultry farming.

I live in eastern N.C. and we have a huge problem with pig farm runoff.

Right, I shouldn't worry about the run off of large chicken farms and the pollution it cause to our water systems. Because who the hell cares about clean drinking water. As usual there is more to the issue. It was a huge problem for Arkansas, that's why they put tighter restrictions on poultry farming.
Nah man the market will just sort itself out and eventually the polluting companies will be pushed out by the oh-so-intelligent consumers.

Sorry about the dead children tho.

Now this is a criticism of this administration I can agree with. Absolutely disgusting and I hate using the word, evil.

And people thought penis envy had no real world consequences.

I tend to think he's not racist, considering he seems to hate any living thing that does not live in worship of him. But then again, I remember it's all to fuck with the legacy of the black guy he said was a Muslim from Kenya.

Most of the cruelty comes from factory farming. But we are cheap consumers. We don't want to pay extra to support local organic farms, just like we don't want to pay extra by supporting tariffs that could encourage growth in our manufacturing sector.

This pisses me off:

"The Trump administration officially withdrew an Obama-era rule that would set higher standards for the treatment of animals whose meat could be sold as organic. The USDA officially overturned the rule Monday, after delaying its implementation three times. It was first created in 2016 and built on seven years of deliberation.

The current language governing what can be certified organic is clear on some points. Animals must be raised without antibiotics or growth hormones, and their feed must also be organic without GMOs or unapproved synthetic pesticides. But there is less clarity around animal welfare and living conditions. Many hens and cows live in the same or similar conditions as their non-organic counterparts, with no room to move and only screened-in porches for "outside" access. The USDA estimates that about half of all organic eggs come from hens living in total confinement.

The rule was poised to hurt large-scale organic egg farms that house up to 180,000 birds in one barn, said the Organic Trade Association (OTA), which represents organic farmers. Some of these farms house as many as three egg-laying hens per square foot with no time spent outdoors.

In contrast, Organic Valley, one of the most popular medium-scale organic producers in the United States, provides each bird with five square feet of space. In Europe, birds are given 43 square feet."

"They’re servicing large, conventional egg producers at the diservice of small and medium-sized organic farms,” he said. These large companies recognize the growing popularity of organic products and want to trick consumers into purchasing their own by obfuscating the way they treat their animals, Kastel argued.

Six out of ten Americans say that it's highly important that animals used to produce organic food are raised on farms with higher standards of animal welfare. More than half of Americans say it's highly important that animals used to produce organic food are able to go outside and move freely."

I know a lot of you won't care, but it's inhumane to treat any animals the way large-scale egg farms do, whether they are organic or not. I've seen one of these, and it's sickening.

Animals that we eat, or that we use to produce food, like chickens and cows, should not be treated with cruelty IMO. No animals should be, but in most countries they are. Big business again gets favored by the Trump administration, ahead of smaller ones and ahead of the people's wishes.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-administration-eliminates-animal-welfare-200022013.html

Well 43 Sq ft per bird is a lot. 5 sq ft per bird is more than some Humans get if they live in a NYC apartment if you break it down by mass of each animal.

Torturing farm animals to trigger the libs
Fo real! It’s complete a troll move at this point.

I am lucky to still live in proximity to actuall farmers and farms, I like knowing what I eat is what it says it is.

How anyone (aside from big corporate farms) could be for this shit is mind numbing..

Most of the cruelty comes from factory farming. But we are cheap consumers. We don't want to pay extra to support local organic farms, just like we don't want to pay extra by supporting tariffs that could encourage growth in our manufacturing sector.

If there were more local organic farms, or if that format was most dominant across the board, wont they all have to price compete with each other, and provide better service? After all a chicken is a chicken. There aint too many ways to differentiate your product.

This shit is pushed by corporations who want to pull the wool over consumers eyes.

Corporations are not to be trusted under any circumstance.
Everyone is focusing on the animal cruelty part,when they should be focused on the part where they get to redefine the definition of organic.

Don't care that it's inhumane(we're gonna eat them anyway) but I do care that treating animals like shit generally means their food byproducts are much lower quality.

I care about both. This move sounds like a step in the wrong direction.

This administration really can't do anything that isn't terrible.

It is un fucking real how shitty this administrations is. I really see them as far behind on the evolutionary scale.

Everyone is focusing on the animal cruelty part,when they should be focused on the part where they get to redefine the definition of organic.

Yeah it's madness.

These corporations are doing this so they can market cheap products as organic and charge higher prices with less production costs.

Corporations have ruined this planet for profits.

Back