Trump administration eliminates animal welfare rules

This pisses me off:

"The Trump administration officially withdrew an Obama-era rule that would set higher standards for the treatment of animals whose meat could be sold as organic. The USDA officially overturned the rule Monday, after delaying its implementation three times. It was first created in 2016 and built on seven years of deliberation.

The current language governing what can be certified organic is clear on some points. Animals must be raised without antibiotics or growth hormones, and their feed must also be organic without GMOs or unapproved synthetic pesticides. But there is less clarity around animal welfare and living conditions. Many hens and cows live in the same or similar conditions as their non-organic counterparts, with no room to move and only screened-in porches for "outside" access. The USDA estimates that about half of all organic eggs come from hens living in total confinement.

The rule was poised to hurt large-scale organic egg farms that house up to 180,000 birds in one barn, said the Organic Trade Association (OTA), which represents organic farmers. Some of these farms house as many as three egg-laying hens per square foot with no time spent outdoors.

In contrast, Organic Valley, one of the most popular medium-scale organic producers in the United States, provides each bird with five square feet of space. In Europe, birds are given 43 square feet."

"They’re servicing large, conventional egg producers at the diservice of small and medium-sized organic farms,” he said. These large companies recognize the growing popularity of organic products and want to trick consumers into purchasing their own by obfuscating the way they treat their animals, Kastel argued.

Six out of ten Americans say that it's highly important that animals used to produce organic food are raised on farms with higher standards of animal welfare. More than half of Americans say it's highly important that animals used to produce organic food are able to go outside and move freely."

I know a lot of you won't care, but it's inhumane to treat any animals the way large-scale egg farms do, whether they are organic or not. I've seen one of these, and it's sickening.

Animals that we eat, or that we use to produce food, like chickens and cows, should not be treated with cruelty IMO. No animals should be, but in most countries they are. Big business again gets favored by the Trump administration, ahead of smaller ones and ahead of the people's wishes.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-administration-eliminates-animal-welfare-200022013.html

You said yourself that regardless of whether the animal is raised “organically”, you support better living conditions.

The definition of organic should not contain any rules regarding living conditions, that is a separate matter that should be addressed as such.

I agree with the withdrawal of this rule.

I wonder what the reasoning was. Doesnt sound like it was ever implemented

This pisses me off:

"The Trump administration officially withdrew an Obama-era rule that would set higher standards for the treatment of animals whose meat could be sold as organic. The USDA officially overturned the rule Monday, after delaying its implementation three times. It was first created in 2016 and built on seven years of deliberation.

The current language governing what can be certified organic is clear on some points. Animals must be raised without antibiotics or growth hormones, and their feed must also be organic without GMOs or unapproved synthetic pesticides. But there is less clarity around animal welfare and living conditions. Many hens and cows live in the same or similar conditions as their non-organic counterparts, with no room to move and only screened-in porches for "outside" access. The USDA estimates that about half of all organic eggs come from hens living in total confinement.

The rule was poised to hurt large-scale organic egg farms that house up to 180,000 birds in one barn, said the Organic Trade Association (OTA), which represents organic farmers. Some of these farms house as many as three egg-laying hens per square foot with no time spent outdoors.

In contrast, Organic Valley, one of the most popular medium-scale organic producers in the United States, provides each bird with five square feet of space. In Europe, birds are given 43 square feet."

"They’re servicing large, conventional egg producers at the diservice of small and medium-sized organic farms,” he said. These large companies recognize the growing popularity of organic products and want to trick consumers into purchasing their own by obfuscating the way they treat their animals, Kastel argued.

Six out of ten Americans say that it's highly important that animals used to produce organic food are raised on farms with higher standards of animal welfare. More than half of Americans say it's highly important that animals used to produce organic food are able to go outside and move freely."

I know a lot of you won't care, but it's inhumane to treat any animals the way large-scale egg farms do, whether they are organic or not. I've seen one of these, and it's sickening.

Animals that we eat, or that we use to produce food, like chickens and cows, should not be treated with cruelty IMO. No animals should be, but in most countries they are. Big business again gets favored by the Trump administration, ahead of smaller ones and ahead of the people's wishes.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-administration-eliminates-animal-welfare-200022013.html

Not at all surprised given this POS lives on fast food.

04-trump-mcdonalds.w190.h190.jpg

It's like saying torturing the elderly is okay because they're going to die anyways.

Sadly, based on my personal experiences thus far, this could be the motto emblazoned over the doorway of many of our nation's nursing homes.

Just wait until an outbreak of an untreatable virus hits America because of the overuse of antibiotics in the livestock industry. And if you don't think that could happen then you haven't been paying enough attention.

FARM ANIMALS BTFO!!!! #MAGA. Factory farms misleading consumers is great.

Seem exactly what Trump would do, so not surprised at all. Wealthy benefit the rest of us get screwed.
Are you a farm animal?

This administration is pulling back on most things. This isn't encouraging mistreatment of animals, more of a "not the government's job". I much prefer people taking video of animal mistreatment so people can make consumer decisions accordingly as opposed to sending some guy with a checklist

Are you a farm animal?

This administration is pulling back on most things. This isn't encouraging mistreatment of animals, more of a "not the government's job". I much prefer people taking video of animal mistreatment so people can make consumer decisions accordingly as opposed to sending some guy with a checklist

Right, I shouldn't worry about the run off of large chicken farms and the pollution it cause to our water systems. Because who the hell cares about clean drinking water. As usual there is more to the issue. It was a huge problem for Arkansas, that's why they put tighter restrictions on poultry farming.

Last edited:
Ahh the weekly Obama era policy rollback? Trump is so jealous of the man Obama is this is how he shows it.

Right, I shouldn't worry about the run off of large chicken farms and how it pollution it cause to our water systems. Because who the hell cares about clean drinking water. As usual there is more to the issue. It was a huge problem for Arkansas, that's why they put tighter restrictions on poultry farming.

Dumb lib. If we remove restrictions on the farm then the farm makes more money and that wealth will trickle down to the chickens. Pretty soon those chickens will be driving Cadi's.

Terrible logic. There is a massive moral difference between torturing animals their entire life and then slaughtering them, and them having led a decent life before being eaten.

It's like saying torturing the elderly is okay because they're going to die anyways.
You're big on animals' welfare but you support abortion rights? ..

Anything for a buck...

Sadly, based on my personal experiences thus far, this could be the motto emblazoned over the doorway of many of our nation's nursing homes.
I am aware. It is a form of sadism.

Its expected. Trump doesn't like animals being the first president in 130 years without a pet and him lifting the ban on importing elephant trophies to the US. Watch out pit owners, your dogs will be banned soon too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back