Trump administration eliminates animal welfare rules

computer fogie

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
This pisses me off:

"The Trump administration officially withdrew an Obama-era rule that would set higher standards for the treatment of animals whose meat could be sold as organic. The USDA officially overturned the rule Monday, after delaying its implementation three times. It was first created in 2016 and built on seven years of deliberation.

The current language governing what can be certified organic is clear on some points. Animals must be raised without antibiotics or growth hormones, and their feed must also be organic without GMOs or unapproved synthetic pesticides. But there is less clarity around animal welfare and living conditions. Many hens and cows live in the same or similar conditions as their non-organic counterparts, with no room to move and only screened-in porches for "outside" access. The USDA estimates that about half of all organic eggs come from hens living in total confinement.

The rule was poised to hurt large-scale organic egg farms that house up to 180,000 birds in one barn, said the Organic Trade Association (OTA), which represents organic farmers. Some of these farms house as many as three egg-laying hens per square foot with no time spent outdoors.

In contrast, Organic Valley, one of the most popular medium-scale organic producers in the United States, provides each bird with five square feet of space. In Europe, birds are given 43 square feet."

"They’re servicing large, conventional egg producers at the diservice of small and medium-sized organic farms,” he said. These large companies recognize the growing popularity of organic products and want to trick consumers into purchasing their own by obfuscating the way they treat their animals, Kastel argued.

Six out of ten Americans say that it's highly important that animals used to produce organic food are raised on farms with higher standards of animal welfare. More than half of Americans say it's highly important that animals used to produce organic food are able to go outside and move freely."

I know a lot of you won't care, but it's inhumane to treat any animals the way large-scale egg farms do, whether they are organic or not. I've seen one of these, and it's sickening.

Animals that we eat, or that we use to produce food, like chickens and cows, should not be treated with cruelty IMO. No animals should be, but in most countries they are. Big business again gets favored by the Trump administration, ahead of smaller ones and ahead of the people's wishes.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-administration-eliminates-animal-welfare-200022013.html

Why are you surprised, i couldn't expect less from my president

Another step in the exact opposite direction that society should be heading from this Presidency. Natediaznotsurpised.gif

c9odiIh.gif

Our chickens are the happiest, believe me.

It really is heinous how chickens are treated. I’m assuming that the regulations are being cut back to save money to be more cost efficient for the owners. I wonder just how much the owners of these farms and consumers are affected.

Seem exactly what Trump would do, so not surprised at all. Wealthy benefit the rest of us get screwed.

This shit is pushed by corporations who want to pull the wool over consumers eyes.

Corporations are not to be trusted under any circumstance.

This shit is pushed by corporations who want to pull the wool over consumers eyes.

Corporations are not to be trusted under any circumstance.
Well if you allow them to break all the rules, even moral ones, they will give everyone a job.

It really is heinous how chickens are treated. I’m assuming that the regulations are being cut back to save money to be more cost efficient for the owners. I wonder just how much the owners of these farms and consumers are affected.

I dont have moral reservations about treatment of animals for food production these days I know how cruel the meat industry and poultry.

But I think there is som research how mass Farming of Chickens is dangerous to our food suply as it can breed chickens that die of bird flu.

And traditional chicken coup farmers that raise chickens that are resistant to viruses gets buy out by big corporations hence we have less variety of chickens and once the flu strike 100% of our pultry cohld be wiped out.

Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket.

This administration really can't do anything that isn't terrible.

Well if you allow them to break all the rules, even moral ones, they will give everyone a job.

And help you apply for government welfare and food stamps you fucking degenerate scum.

Don't care that it's inhumane(we're gonna eat them anyway) but I do care that treating animals like shit generally means their food byproducts are much lower quality.

Rolling back these regulations is the type of shit that makes our nation so unhealthy, which in turn puts a larger financial burden on tax payers as it drives up health care use and cost that much more.

Microfarms should be considered a public health crisis.

Don't care that it's inhumane(we're gonna eat them anyway)
Terrible logic. There is a massive moral difference between torturing animals their entire life and then slaughtering them, and them having led a decent life before being eaten.

It's like saying torturing the elderly is okay because they're going to die anyways.

Back