Trump’s old tweets are becoming a minefield of hypocrisy

hi oleDirtyBast4rd,

i think they're just pointing out that much of Mr. Trump's policy (such that it is) doesn't really reflect what he said a half year ago or so. no one put a gun to Mr. Trump's head and forced him to type out those tweets....those are his words. his positions.

i mean, think about it; if you supported Trump for his non-interventionalist stance...or his promise to deliver (a unicorn) low cost, high coverage healthcare...or his promise to have a wall that Mexico paid for...i could go on here, but you get my point - there isn't much to be happy about.

it's not just liberals pointing out this contradiction, either.

at RedState.com, pointing out Mr. Trump's flip flops has become a kind of drinking game.

- IGIT

Most people disn't think he could do everything. That's silly. He's against the globalist agenda. Has that changed?

hiya Possum,

i think you're partially right - there's alot of cognitive dissonance going on - but there's something else, too.

if you go to the comments section on right wing sites, the last refuge for the Trump voter is this; "at least he's better than Hildog. @NeverHillary".

its not much of a rationale for supporting Mr. Trump despite his endless (and immediate) flip flops, but there you go.

- IGIT

Yeah, just add that to list of things they use in order to avoid cognitive dissonance.

"Hillary would have been worse! She's fucking evil!" or "Still better than Obama!"

I mean, I'm sure some of them honestly believe that but there are plenty that tell themselves that and hope it sticks in their own minds.

You want to pretend he's anti intellectual and a baffoon. Howd he win?
I'm not pretending anything, it is plainly obvious.

He won by lying and making promises he couldn't keep and probably never intended on keeping.

Most people disn't think he could do everything. That's silly. He's against the globalist agenda. Has that changed?

hi oleDirtyBast4rd,

i don't think the issue is that he hasn't done everything. outside of the EOs that he signed - which can be undone by the next POTUS with the stroke of a pen - what has he done?

i mean, at all?

i think his tough rhetoric has staunched the flow of undocumented immigrants coming from over the border, but that's about it.

and i'm unclear what you mean by the "globalist agenda".

he's not moving on NAFTA, he's reaffirmed NATO, he's completely backed off his tough talk with China...

...what are you referring to?

- IGIT

It's funny watching his supporters try to pretend this is what they expected after they spent 18 months howling passionately for everything he has betrayed.

Appears to me about the only promise he is actually delivering on is the ICE raids and pursuit of building more robust security at the border.

most presidents betray a lot of their campaign promises. who knows why. had they been feeding their base bs from the start? did the "realities of office" show them that they couldnt realistically achieve many of those promises? id wager for most that its a combination of the two.

trump though....holy shit. complete provable 180's on his entire platform it would seem. do people care? nah. maybe this, on both sides, is just a symptom of identity politics. subconsciously people like the innuendo and dog whistles that a certain candidate has, and they decide they like and trust the person. actual policy considerations take a back seat.

trump though....holy shit. complete provable 180's on his entire platform it would seem. do people care? nah. maybe this, on both sides, is just a symptom of identity politics. subconsciously people like the innuendo and dog whistles that a certain candidate has, and they decide they like and trust the person. actual policy considerations take a back seat.

hello JonnyRingo84,

its the complete 180 part that amazes, i agree.

*ponders*

as to whether people care or not...i don't think they do, really.

its a confusing thing to think about. on one hand, Mr. Trump described our nation has being in the most dire of straits last year. on the brink of ruin - so what has he done to pull us back from the precipice?

on the hand, the economy has, by most measures, been humming along since the recovery under Mr. Obama's tenure. growth has been slow, sure, but middle class wages trended upwards in 2016 and unemployment is very, very low, the DOW is continuing to soar - so maybe Mr. Trump is getting credit for that (even though no new economic policy has been passed).

hmmmf.

as long as the economy stays on its present course, i think anything Mr. Trump does will be greeted by applause from his supporters.

- IGIT

Pro Tip - Do not expect consistency, or anything but avarice, from the cardboard cutout version of Gordon Gecko.

hi oleDirtyBast4rd,

i don't think the issue is that he hasn't done everything. outside of the EOs that he signed - which can be undone by the next POTUS with the stroke of a pen - what has he done?

i mean, at all?

i think his tough rhetoric has staunched the flow of undocumented immigrants coming from over the border, but that's about it.

and i'm unclear what you mean by the "globalist agenda".

he's not moving on NAFTA, he's reaffirmed NATO, he's completely backed off his tough talk with China...

...what are you referring to?

- IGIT

It hasn't been that long... as for anti globalism, does he want to bring tons of refugees and illegals? No.

So your response is a childish insult and then a deflection. Back to ignore.

What's funny is that this post answers the question.
Awwwww is hack mad because he tried to call me out on "hypocrisy" and looked like a fool? Enjoy your safe space

It hasn't been that long... as for anti globalism, does he want to bring tons of refugees and illegals? No.

hiya oleDirtyBast4rd,

if you want to boil the entirety of the Trump administration to anti refugee dogma, that's fine. some people are single issue voters, and if that's what you want to hang your hat on, its alright with me.

two things, though;

defining anti-globalism as a purely an anti-refugee construct is really way, way, way off base. it's much more than that, and i see no evidence that Mr. Trump seems anxious to follow through on his promises (which is good, lol. i applaud this new facet of our POTUS).

secondly, the US, more than any single nation, is responsible for the chaos in the Middle East - and though i get that many people want to walk away from it and deny the vetted refugees of Syria safe haven, i think that's a morally bankrupt position to take.

- IGIT

Last edited:
Who would pretend that Trump is a man of consistency and principle?

Nihil tam absurdum, quod non dictum sit ab aliquo philosophorum.

Just replace philosopher with Trump and you will have a maxim to live by.

I'm not pretending anything, it is plainly obvious.

He won by lying and making promises he couldn't keep and probably never intended on keeping.

The election was like being given a choice between two doses of poison to see which might damage the fabric of American society more completely.

How sick is the patient? I do not know, and feel fortunate I am in rare garden view in Shenzhen, and can look across the brackish depths of Deep Harbor and see the rolling green hills of Hong Kong territory.

Here the constant bray of self indulgent all-encompassing politics is distant, and it is sad and yet ironic that I can tune out the state sponsored tyrannical lies of the C/CP with so much more ease. That might be something to consider about how deep the poison is sinking in.

The election was like being given a choice between two doses of poison to see which might damage the fabric of American society more completely.

How sick is the patient? I do not know, and feel fortunate I am in rare garden view in Shenzhen, and can look across the brackish depths of Deep Harbor and see the rolling green hills of Hong Kong territory.

Here the constant bray of self indulgent all-encompassing politics is distant, and it is sad and yet ironic that I can tune out the state sponsored tyrannical lies of the C/CP with so much more ease. That might be something to consider about how deep the poison is sinking in.
The election was more like choosing between a paper cut and severing your entire arm. The two candidates were not even close quite frankly. There are massive gaps in intelligence, knowledge of the policies, judgement, etc.. Shit, we now know that Trump is highly corrupt and very lazy. The corruption is out in the open but Rs in the house like his policies or know that he will pass anything without even understanding it so they won't do shit about it.

This "both choices were bad" is a false equivalence.

you don't care about flip floping?
LOL The CBC just said the PM called Trump a good listener and willing to change his position. How's that for awesome spin when Trump has lied about the Canadian Dairy Industry to pander to American farmers?

Back