True Whiskey Enthusiasts

Any genuine whiskey enthusiasts in here?

I’m not. That said, I usually have a bottle at home and I drink from it fairly regularly. But if I went to a distillery and sampled different types, I doubt I’d be able to distinguish them in any meaningful way. Mostly I drink Jameson or Knob Creek. Lately I’ve enjoyed Slane.

Anyway, I’d love a recommendation of at least 3 whiskeys a true aficionado might recommend. If there were one preference, I’m kind of a sissy to the burn and prefer a smoother finish.
008200075296.jpg

I wouldn't consider myself an aficionado, but I do enjoy a good whisky. These are my two favorites of those I've had, both based on recommendations from people who know more than me:

Amrut: Peated Indian Single Malt Whisky
Macallan Double Cask 12 year old

Both are mid-range. I find mid-range whiskies are worth it, at least for home consumption. I haven't really tried expensive whiskies.

Alright, to my surprise I’m hearing a lot about Canadian whiskeys? So what are some good Canadian whiskeys?

crown-royal-wine-barrel-finished-bottle-nobel-collection.jpg

I picked up a bottle of this, which was very highly rated, and have been gradually enjoying it. It's very tasty, if a bit generic. It was "Limited Release," so I have no idea how available it is.

Bourbon crew checking in. Love a good scotch too, though, mainly Glenlivet and Lagavulin 16
Jameson for the casual whisky pour, love it neat.

Makers mark, Wild Turkey and Gentlemen Jack are my go-to bourbons. Loving the Bulleit lately too.

Used to be, not so much now. Dont drink much any more.

Was a big fan of the suntory ranges, and some of the other jaoanese brands, as well as scotch, Irish and Welsh.

oban, macallan, laguvalin, laphroaig, ardbeg, auchentoshan and highland park are in my usual rotation

If you are looking for smooth go with Canadian whisky. I call it "cheat whisky" because they are allowed to add a certain percentage of natural flavor and still call it whisky. But that also makes it a lot smoother.
3b0mC2QG7qdPOuCyjGQk_gib_20ster.jpeg

<{Heymansnicker}>

When I used to stock my cabinet, these three usually made the cut.

Johnny Walker Black
Macallan 12
Yamazaki

Working on this btl at the moment. Has the signature peatiness and even more robust than the 10 year old.

abgob.non36.jpg

There are actually a few american bourbons which do go by the name Whisky, for some reason or other. Makers Mark is one such.
This is true. There’s no hard and fast rule that whisky needs to be spelled a certain way. Makers Mark does that to be different and create some brand distinction. They are deviating from the norm though.

Alright, to my surprise I’m hearing a lot about Canadian whiskeys? So what are some good Canadian whiskeys?
What sort of flavours do you like? Sweet, spicy, roboust? Tell me more and I’ll give you a recommendation. Let’s figure out what your pallet is.

Working on this btl at the moment. Has the signature peatiness and even more robust than the 10 year old.

abgob.non36.jpg

Ardbeg is my favorite scotch. Must say, I've never even seen the An Oa. Their standard 10 is great, and all of their scotch is noteworthy for heavy peat and deep smokey tones, but my favorite amongst them is the Corryvracken.

I have tried quite expensive Scottish and Irish whiskeys. I don't like Jack Daniels or Jim Bean shit.

Laphraoig is the biz but a very peaty flavour. Kind of like TCP. As far as blended goes Chivas Regal is good. I also like Balvenie have tried the 10,12 and 15 years and they're all good. Highland Park is also good

Question for whisky lovers...

For the taste and a mild buzz, or to get really drunk?

Or does it depend on the mood and circumstances?

My most recent drivers were these:
eh-taylor-jr-small-batch-bottle.jpg

Kavalan-Solist-Vinho-Barrique-Cask-Strength__09208.1469044649.1280.1280.jpg

Whistlepig for rye. One I always thought was fun was High West Campfire. It's a blend.

I have a small group of fellow miscriants that enjoy some of the finer Kentucky Bourbons on the market. Currently sampling some Whistle Pig Rye 97/100 imho

Back