True Fighters

BloodAxe793

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
So me and a few friends (we are mma guys) were having a convo about when fighters today turned into what they are. What I mean by that is say you look at hw era of the 70s and 80s compared to today. They seemed to not only box but look for the kill. Or from fighters like hagler hearns etc, able to box but also just seemed to be meaner in that era. Same for the guys in mma. So I wanted to ask when you think the era switched from fighters to more, i guess business men caring about records more than being a fighter and truly going for the kill. Kind like were tyson said he wanted to kill his opponent and these guys are just business men.

(BTW sorry for the misspelling and poor grammer. College football on so beers have been involved lol)

If you wanna see "true fighters" in 2017 I recommend you watch the night of the superflyweights next saturday.

These guys are a bunch of fucking killing machines.

If you wanna see "true fighters" in 2017 I recommend you watch the night of the superflyweights next saturday.

I guess i was meaning the heavier weights classes. They just seem that they have a worse killer instinct as the old guys with the willingness to kill or be killed but at the same time box just as well.

Well, in the higher weight classes the likes Joshua and Wilder are pure wrecking balls at HW, top cruiserweights are basically high profile brawlers, Kovalev and Stevenson are big punchers at LHW, Golovkin and Canelo are no ballroom dancers at MW, etc.

Floyd gets the mainstream attention but he's one of a kind. And he wrecked guys under 147.

Last edited:
Well, in the higher weight classes the likes Joshua and Wilder are pure wrecking balls at HW, top cruiserweights are basically high profile brawlers, Kovalev and Stevenson are big punchers at LHW, Golovkin and Canelo are no ballroom dancers at MW, etc.

Floyd gets the mainstream attention but he's one of a kind.

But even them it just seems different than the older generation. And only reason why I watched the flyod fight was because of Conor. I was there live at the pac man may weather fight. And jesus the was awful. Us MMA guys though love triple G though. Gunna have a house devided when canello and ggg fight because of fav fighter vs heritage lol. But we also know the difference and understand the huge difference between the sports of mma and boxing as well. (all over the place sorry)

So me and a few friends (we are mma guys) were having a convo about when fighters today turned into what they are. What I mean by that is say you look at hw era of the 70s and 80s compared to today. They seemed to not only box but look for the kill. Or from fighters like hagler hearns etc, able to box but also just seemed to be meaner in that era. Same for the guys in mma. So I wanted to ask when you think the era switched from fighters to more, i guess business men caring about records more than being a fighter and truly going for the kill. Kind like were tyson said he wanted to kill his opponent and these guys are just business men.

(BTW sorry for the misspelling and poor grammer. College football on so beers have been involved lol)
Gene Fullmer said Ray Robinson was a cunt to negotiate with and wouldn't fight unless everything was his way, pretty much what people complained about Floyd doing.

Hard to pinpoint when but there definitely is a big change, Roy Jones' reign is one point where a great fighter constantly fought lesser opponents, even though there just wasn't much talent around in the lhw of the time, Roy often seemed like he didn't even want to be a fighter, said he'd retire by 30 and just was impossible to negotiate with for fights. Also, around the early 00's there was an interesting phenomenon where guys in their mid to late thirties were competitive, that was not as common in earlier eras so you can see it as either the competition wasn't as stiff or that fighters today just don't take as much abuse in earlier eras. Delahoya, for all his faults, took on every big fight he could, avoided no one and still made a ton of cash but he was, like jones, still a bit of a frontrunner.

Why the change in fighters? People aren't as tough, aren't as desperate or hungry. I look at todays men and they really turn my stomach, but it's not all their faults, feminism and a lot of social engineering have had a hand in trying to blunt what men are naturally. Then we have things like video games and the computer, too many other things for kids to do. I've been a boxing fan for a long time but I don't watch much of the newer guys and am usually unimpressed by what todays fans rave over. The last big heavyweight fight, klitschko and who was it, Joshua? People made a big deal out of how much action it was, i watched it and just thought it was ok, but not that impressive when you've seen so many men put it all on the line with all their talent and passion.

Nostalgia is overrated. Guys today are just as good as the 70's/80's. I bet if we could have superfight's between top fighter's today vs top guys in the 80's, today's fighters would win more then they would lose.

Nostalgia is overrated. Guys today are just as good as the 70's/80's. I bet if we could have superfight's between top fighter's today vs top guys in the 80's, today's fighters would win more then they would lose.
it ain't nostalgia, there are differences.

Gene Fullmer said Ray Robinson was a cunt to negotiate with and wouldn't fight unless everything was his way, pretty much what people complained about Floyd doing.
i've heard that too but he still fought the fuckers, multiple times, he didn't sit around and wait until they were both gumming their food to take the fight.

i've heard that too but he still fought the fuckers, multiple times, he didn't sit around and wait until they were both gumming their food to take the fight.
Neither did Floyd and if you say he did, then you're exaggerating. The Pac and Shane fights were discussed earlier but it wasn't Floyd who said no and fought other guys.

Ray definitely cherry picked later in his career too.

whoever's fault it was, no way it should have taken 8 fucking years to happen, i don't care who's fault it was. You won't convince me that floyd didn't have a hand in it (and maybe pac did too, he's the one who fought like he was psyched) when the conor fight was easy for him to decide to take. floyd's smart, he knew conor had no chance. He didn't make a million excuses and finagle when it came to conor. Anyway, i won't argue that, i think it's obvious to most people what floyd did.

Back