Triumph United Death Adder 14oz Gloves Review

rmphilmacrac

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
The Triumph United Death Adders were a pair of gloves that have interested me from the start. That Grant style, the color combination, the size, and even those angled knuckles. Man just some interesting gloves overall. When that amazing sale went up I just had to pick these up.

Look

Again that Grant-like style sold me instantly. The black, red, and white coupled with the split thumb, beautiful gloves, absolutely beautiful. Another thing is the overall size, so small for their corresponding weight and even the three cuff style that i usually hate, looked amazing on these. Triumph also uses subtle logos, nothing insane or extreme, subtle and traditional. The angled knuckles, once you make a fist they are prominent which again just adds to that sweet Grant look. Even so though these gloves are in a world of their own and rightfully so.

Quality/Construction/Padding

Ive been using these for a month and a half now regularly and they still look good as new. Bag work and sparring and these gloves are solid through and through. Not only that but they also feel significantly better.

First of all the quality is top notch, the stitching is fine, the welted seams add a beautiful flare, the colors of the leather are vibrant, the logos are printed neatly. No complaints whatsoever, construction and quality are incredible especially for the price. As MEGAhorse has proved too, these gloves can last even after a beating when used as community gloves for a whole gym. These things will last you years and look good doing it.

The padding was my main complaint. Very very stiff padding right out the box. Absolutely hated it but MEGA told me to break it in. For the first 2-3 days I wasnt able to try these things out so instead I broke them in by hand a little. Nothing extreme like bending them backwards and literally breaking the foam. I would just press on the foam all around with my thumbs or my palm. I never timed how long I did this but i couldnt have been more than 10 minutes, honestly maybe just 5 minutes total. And i mean 5 minutes total between those few days. The change was drastic though, the foam softened up incredibly and quick. I could wear these with no discomfort without even having to hit the bag first. Of course bag work, mitts, and sparring further softened them up and they have become some of my most comfortable gloves. The padding also offers some serious protection.

One thing to mention is that there is bundled up leather at the fingertips. Winning has this same feel but the DAs are more extreme probably because of the welted seams, it almost feels like a second grip bar. At first i hated it but ive grown to like it. the first joint of my fingers wraps around it while the remaining joints wrap around the actual grip bar.

The way construction shines the most is the size of the Death Adders. A good rule of thumb is to knock off 2oz. For example my 14oz are the same size as some of my 12oz gloves. A 16oz DA can also come close to a 10oz glove which is just incredible. And its not like the size is mislabeled, these gloves come in very close as they are marked. I do recommend buying the lace ups though as the velcros add more length which sort of ruins the compact feature due to a 4in velcro/elastic closure.

Liner/Ventilation/Comfort

The liner is one of the softest I’ve ever used. So comfortable and inviting, it also does a great job at managing the sweat. No complaints whatsoever and it has easily become one of my favorite liners. To further add the ventilation is just fine, there are no vent holes on the palm but there are on the thumb and the gloves dont heat up.

The comfort of these, like i mentioned out the box they were terrible. I have small hands and that stiff padding actually hurt a little just to make a fist. I hated them, i planned on selling them and trying a larger pair. The hand compartment felt miniscule and just plainly uncomfortable. BUT after the quick couple minutes of breaking in by hand these gloves softened nicely, idealy. The finger compartment was one of my biggest issues but after pressing down on that foam a little it became so comfortable. And again MEGA was right, the more you use these the better they get. The more rounds you put it in the better they feel. You take the time to make these your gloves and youll love them forever. I can make the ideal fist in these, my fingers wrap around the grip bar perfectly. The thumb is also in an ideal position. Again i cant stress it enough, some of the most comfortable gloves ive ever used.

Performance/Protection/Wrist Support

After softening up these become some of the best performing gloves that Ive ever used. Absolute comfort and absolute protection. The compact nature also makes them perfect as sparring gloves because they feel more closer to pro fight gloves. I highly advise you soften them up before sparring in them though but after you put the time in these gloves work for anything.

I can really smash the heavy bag with no pain whatsoever and again that compact size makes them just that much better. The wrist support is also surprisingly good. I say surprisingly because cotton palmside padding isnt that firm and even a large amount can give in pretty easily but these gloves support your wrist just fine and i lace mine up a little loose. Also the hard foam in the three cuffs adds great support as well.

While the palmside padding does its job i would have prefered EVA because for one it adds more support and it also takes up less room. Cotton or whatever similar material that TU uses just takes up too much room and doesnt offer as much support as EVA. This is a personal preference type thing but still worth mentioning.

Some of the best performing gloves that ive ever used and they have become some of my favorites. I love using them on the bag or for sparring and the small size is great for mitts. These gloves work for anything and everything, truly amazing. Some of my go to gloves and so far the only regret i have is that i didnt buy more.

Weight

Again these are true to weight or at least close to it. Coming in at 14.4oz for the left glove and 13.6 for the right glove. Weird weights thats for sure but again very impressive how such a small frame can fit that much weight especially when you move into the bigger ounces.

Cost

The regular price of these things is around $100 and I can completely justify that. Like i mentioned I actually regret not buying another pair at a different size. Not only that but Triumph regularly has some incredible deals. I bought my pair for $50 and some Death Stars because that deal was amazing.

Overall

Man i just cant praise these enough. Beautiful gloves with great performance and construction to match. Easily have become some of my favorite gloves of all time. If you’re like me and you hate stiff padding, break them in by hand a little. Just press on the foam for a couple minutes just to make them comfortable then use them on the bag to soften them up completely. Again the more use you put into them the better they get. I plan on getting 18oz gloves next, you just cant beat that size. Lace ups are the way to go and these gloves offer some amazing protection. If you need a new pair of affordable gloves i highly suggest these.

+Performance
+SIZE
+True to weight*
+Comfortable
+Soften up quick
+Perfect fist
+Color combination
+Construction
+Liner
+Quality
+/-Only one color
+/-Cotton palm side padding
+/-Stiff out the box
-Smallish hand compartment depending on size
-No palm vent holes

Gs9Jam3.jpg

4tlLwGk.jpg

Css5lyC.jpg

Dc0OI3o.jpg

FdSkkTP.jpg

YSqE54e.jpg

Great review! I love how indepth your reviews are and how you are consistent with them.

Interesting note on the use of cotton for the palmside padding, don't quote me on this but from what I've read Grant does the same and maybe that's why TU decided to do so.

The thing that I in particular love abou this post though is the comparison pics; I had heard they were compact gloves but the fact that your 14 oz DA's are about the same size as 12 oz gloves is insane and I love it!

Also good point on how you broke the gloves in, I will have to try that myself sometime too.

Got mine in 16oz during the BFriday sale also. For the price (even at full price) I'd say these are a steal. Break in took some time, a little longer than expected, with the stiffer padding out of the box coupled with the smaller than usual finger compartment. Gives a nice snug fit once properly beaten though.

I love your reviews. I have to agree on the padding. It's great for sparring and extremely protective. Some of the most comfortable gloves I own. Out of the stock gloves I own, my Reyes are more comfortable.

Thanks everyone for reading!

@Jamie but yeah great sparring gloves once broken in thats for sure. And still very very protective.

Great post brother. I'm glad you are happy with these. Triumph United is like fine wine - they get better with age. I'd like to add 2 things:

1) i agree that EVA is superior to the cotton fibers, however I've noticed that over time foam inserts break down and develop grooves in the spots where the laces usually wrap around. The cotton wrist support doesn't seem to suffer from this, almost like it heals

2) One of my favorite aspects is how these glvoes mold to the user's hands. You can see in your own pictures how the glove is shaped like your hand, and compare that to the other gloves which keep their own shape a bit more.

Last edited:
Great post brother. I'm glad you are happy with these. Triumph United is like fine wine - they get better with age. I'd like to add 2 things:

1) i agree that EVA is superior to the cotton fibers, however I've noticed that over time foam inserts break down and develop grooves in the spots where the laces usually wrap around. The cotton wrist support doesn't seem to suffer from this, almost like it "heals"

2) One of my favorite aspects is how these glvoes mold to the user's hands. You can see in your own pictures how the glove is shaped like your hand, and compare that to the other gloves which keep their own shape a bit more.

This picture illustrates exactly what i mean. These are used most by the best athlete at my gym and he has bigger hands and small wrists. These the community gloves RM mentions in his review and they have over 2 years use.
H0x3U0q.jpg

2zyH2JG.jpg
Yeah exactly, they do an amazing job at modling. You can tell the difference also by how sort of bulbous your community gloves look when compared to mine.

Nice review! I haven't put enough rounds on mine to break them in yet since everyone at the gym loves getting hit with my enormous Twins and I've been reluctant to switch my sparring gloves. But every time I look at or put the TUs on I can't believe I paid $50 for them. Construction wise, the gloves are perfect and they even have a nice subtle leather smell to them. Maybe I'll put on a movie tonight and give them the squeeze break-in, thanks for the tip!

I combined orders with a couple gym mates to save on shipping, and the woman who got the Death Stars for sparring is also loving those compared to her old Everlast. The TU shin guards were not as impressive as the gloves, and have a few issues including straps too long and poor shape & alignment of the foot pad. But my buddy only paid $30 for them, so not too upset and he'll get some use out of them.

Nice review! I haven't put enough rounds on mine to break them in yet since everyone at the gym loves getting hit with my enormous Twins and I've been reluctant to switch my sparring gloves. But every time I look at or put the TUs on I can't believe I paid $50 for them. Construction wise, the gloves are perfect and they even have a nice subtle leather smell to them. Maybe I'll put on a movie tonight and give them the squeeze break-in, thanks for the tip!

I combined orders with a couple gym mates to save on shipping, and the woman who got the Death Stars for sparring is also loving those compared to her old Everlast. The TU shin guards were not as impressive as the gloves, and have a few issues including straps too long and poor shape & alignment of the foot pad. But my buddy only paid $30 for them, so not too upset and he'll get some use out of them.
Yeah man good idea, watch a movie and break them in a little. It helps a lot honestly, i felt a big difference quick

this might sound crazy, but, I've found a good way to break in gloves, headgear etc. Grab a rubber mallet and put your gloves, head gear on a lounge / table put a cloth over the gloves and start hitting em'. Only takes a few minutes and saves rounds and rounds on the heavy bag breaking em' in. Done it on my new 18oz RTC C-17's and worked a treat. Broken in in no time.

The Triumph United Death Adders were a pair of gloves that have interested me from the start. That Grant style, the color combination, the size, and even those angled knuckles. Man just some interesting gloves overall. When that amazing sale went up I just had to pick these up.

Look

Again that Grant-like style sold me instantly. The black, red, and white coupled with the split thumb, beautiful gloves, absolutely beautiful. Another thing is the overall size, so small for their corresponding weight and even the three cuff style that i usually hate, looked amazing on these. Triumph also uses subtle logos, nothing insane or extreme, subtle and traditional. The angled knuckles, once you make a fist they are prominent which again just adds to that sweet Grant look. Even so though these gloves are in a world of their own and rightfully so.

Quality/Construction/Padding

Ive been using these for a month and a half now regularly and they still look good as new. Bag work and sparring and these gloves are solid through and through. Not only that but they also feel significantly better.

First of all the quality is top notch, the stitching is fine, the welted seams add a beautiful flare, the colors of the leather are vibrant, the logos are printed neatly. No complaints whatsoever, construction and quality are incredible especially for the price. As MEGAhorse has proved too, these gloves can last even after a beating when used as community gloves for a whole gym. These things will last you years and look good doing it.

The padding was my main complaint. Very very stiff padding right out the box. Absolutely hated it but MEGA told me to break it in. For the first 2-3 days I wasnt able to try these things out so instead I broke them in by hand a little. Nothing extreme like bending them backwards and literally breaking the foam. I would just press on the foam all around with my thumbs or my palm. I never timed how long I did this but i couldnt have been more than 10 minutes, honestly maybe just 5 minutes total. And i mean 5 minutes total between those few days. The change was drastic though, the foam softened up incredibly and quick. I could wear these with no discomfort without even having to hit the bag first. Of course bag work, mitts, and sparring further softened them up and they have become some of my most comfortable gloves. The padding also offers some serious protection.

One thing to mention is that there is bundled up leather at the fingertips. Winning has this same feel but the DAs are more extreme probably because of the welted seams, it almost feels like a second grip bar. At first i hated it but ive grown to like it. the first joint of my fingers wraps around it while the remaining joints wrap around the actual grip bar.

The way construction shines the most is the size of the Death Adders. A good rule of thumb is to knock off 2oz. For example my 14oz are the same size as some of my 12oz gloves. A 16oz DA can also come close to a 10oz glove which is just incredible. And its not like the size is mislabeled, these gloves come in very close as they are marked. I do recommend buying the lace ups though as the velcros add more length which sort of ruins the compact feature due to a 4in velcro/elastic closure.

Liner/Ventilation/Comfort

The liner is one of the softest I’ve ever used. So comfortable and inviting, it also does a great job at managing the sweat. No complaints whatsoever and it has easily become one of my favorite liners. To further add the ventilation is just fine, there are no vent holes on the palm but there are on the thumb and the gloves dont heat up.

The comfort of these, like i mentioned out the box they were terrible. I have small hands and that stiff padding actually hurt a little just to make a fist. I hated them, i planned on selling them and trying a larger pair. The hand compartment felt miniscule and just plainly uncomfortable. BUT after the quick couple minutes of breaking in by hand these gloves softened nicely, idealy. The finger compartment was one of my biggest issues but after pressing down on that foam a little it became so comfortable. And again MEGA was right, the more you use these the better they get. The more rounds you put it in the better they feel. You take the time to make these your gloves and youll love them forever. I can make the ideal fist in these, my fingers wrap around the grip bar perfectly. The thumb is also in an ideal position. Again i cant stress it enough, some of the most comfortable gloves ive ever used.

Performance/Protection/Wrist Support

After softening up these become some of the best performing gloves that Ive ever used. Absolute comfort and absolute protection. The compact nature also makes them perfect as sparring gloves because they feel more closer to pro fight gloves. I highly advise you soften them up before sparring in them though but after you put the time in these gloves work for anything.

I can really smash the heavy bag with no pain whatsoever and again that compact size makes them just that much better. The wrist support is also surprisingly good. I say surprisingly because cotton palmside padding isnt that firm and even a large amount can give in pretty easily but these gloves support your wrist just fine and i lace mine up a little loose. Also the hard foam in the three cuffs adds great support as well.

While the palmside padding does its job i would have prefered EVA because for one it adds more support and it also takes up less room. Cotton or whatever similar material that TU uses just takes up too much room and doesnt offer as much support as EVA. This is a personal preference type thing but still worth mentioning.

Some of the best performing gloves that ive ever used and they have become some of my favorites. I love using them on the bag or for sparring and the small size is great for mitts. These gloves work for anything and everything, truly amazing. Some of my go to gloves and so far the only regret i have is that i didnt buy more.

Weight

Again these are true to weight or at least close to it. Coming in at 14.4oz for the left glove and 13.6 for the right glove. Weird weights thats for sure but again very impressive how such a small frame can fit that much weight especially when you move into the bigger ounces.

Cost

The regular price of these things is around $100 and I can completely justify that. Like i mentioned I actually regret not buying another pair at a different size. Not only that but Triumph regularly has some incredible deals. I bought my pair for $50 and some Death Stars because that deal was amazing.

Overall

Man i just cant praise these enough. Beautiful gloves with great performance and construction to match. Easily have become some of my favorite gloves of all time. If you’re like me and you hate stiff padding, break them in by hand a little. Just press on the foam for a couple minutes just to make them comfortable then use them on the bag to soften them up completely. Again the more use you put into them the better they get. I plan on getting 18oz gloves next, you just cant beat that size. Lace ups are the way to go and these gloves offer some amazing protection. If you need a new pair of affordable gloves i highly suggest these.

+Performance
+SIZE
+True to weight*
+Comfortable
+Soften up quick
+Perfect fist
+Color combination
+Construction
+Liner
+Quality
+/-Only one color
+/-Cotton palm side padding
+/-Stiff out the box
-Smallish hand compartment depending on size
-No palm vent holes

Gs9Jam3.jpg

4tlLwGk.jpg

Css5lyC.jpg

Dc0OI3o.jpg

FdSkkTP.jpg

YSqE54e.jpg

this might sound crazy, but, I've found a good way to break in gloves, headgear etc. Grab a rubber mallet and put your gloves, head gear on a lounge / table put a cloth over the gloves and start hitting em'. Only takes a few minutes and saves rounds and rounds on the heavy bag breaking em' in. Done it on my new 18oz RTC C-17's and worked a treat. Broken in in no time.
The C17s are already broken in though man?

And yeah i heard about that before. Ive tried it in some headgears but i just prefer doing it by hand

i am a nut for triumph united, have been for years. i really like the look of these gloves, they just released them in more colors too.

i am a nut for triumph united, have been for years. i really like the look of these gloves, they just released them in more colors too.
Yeah i saw those new colors. Definitely weird, unique colors but its awesome how they're keeping the Death Adders alive and giving people more options. I dont think they beat the original color combo of my Death Adders though

Back