Triangle choke finishing mechanics (different to what I was taught)

lach

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score

I've adjusted my triangle quite a bit and it is different to what is commonly taught. Let me know your thoughts on this!

I will try this variation next time I train. I cut an angle like he does but I lock up behind the knee not under the upper calf. It isn't too different from the method Ryan Hall uses.

For choking motion it’s probably better, but someone strong is trying to posture up, it’s going to be pretty hard to hold the guy from breaking the triangle, once it’s fully locked behind the knee, that’s not going to happen... on the choking motion, I use Ryan’s way, which is the same as shown in the vid, but I don’t curl as Ryan shows, I do it as it’s shown in this vid... it works best for me

video's good, i'd add that I have a pretty high finish rate from locked triangle...I prefer to lock it behind the knee and then I rotate both legs inward, like bringing my knees together to parallelize the shins per the video while pressing with the back of the thigh across the neck. This tends to bring the bottom foot out of the pit of the knee and down into the calf. But I do not unlock from the pit of the knee until I go into finish pressure. I'm using my foot behind the knee with a vertical foot and using that as a fulcrum to squeeze the knees together. If you try it right now you end up with your shin behind the knee and the shin going diagonally with the foot coming out from under the calf...the foot will slide down the leg a bit from where it started in locked position. This gives the ability to maintain a triangle lock to prevent escape and fatigue and then exert the finish pressure using the foot as a fulcrum

Back