Translators are having a hard time with Trump

jeffk

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
http://usuncut.com/news/rubbish-translators-struggling-interpret-trumps-unforgivably-bad-english/

Translators are struggling to interpret Trump’s unforgivably bad English

As US media struggles to catch President Donald Trump in the same room with a fact, international listeners can’t tell the difference between the truth and a tall tale for a totally different reason — Trump’s use of English is almost too bizarre to translate.

An example:

Soraya Caicedo, executive producer of SBS’s Spanish language radio broadcast, says it isn’t that the words Trump uses are hard to interpret, it’s that he uses many words arbitrarily for different things

“When he says Mexicans are rapists, he’s talking about crime,” Caicedo said, “but when he says China is raping America, he’s talking about economics.”

“We cannot translate it literally as ‘China is sexually abusing America,” she added.

http://usuncut.com/news/rubbish-translators-struggling-interpret-trumps-unforgivably-bad-english/

Last edited:
I think they're just unforgivably bad interpreters. His job is to Make America Great Again not to pander to anyone who speaks a foreign language, let alone the Chinese.

Trump definitely has an interesting way of speaking. It seems like he's going around in circles in his head, and is trying to get the message out as best he can. He uses hyperbole alot, and speaks more like a (surprise) New York real estate broker than a politician or elected statesman. We knew this going in, though. Not everyone is the best (lol) speaker, King George VI was a stutterer and Churchill was a "clutterer" with a lisp. Trump just seems to throw a lot of words out there, as if he's trying to sell you something. Along with hyperbole, he uses a lot of rhetorical questions and informal mannerisms that some in the political world might not be used to, especially coming from a President. It doesn't make for a beautiful transcription or translation, that's for sure. But, it is what it is. Correct? The best.

But that's OK. You know, they say when you do this kind of an event you always start out with a self-deprecating joke. Some people think this would be tough for me, but the truth is ...

(LAUGHTER)

It's true -- the truth is I'm actually a modest person. Very modest. It's true. In fact many people tell me that modesty is perhaps my best quality.

(LAUGHTER)

Even better than my temperament.

(LAUGHTER)

You know Cardinal Dolan and I have some things in common. For instance, we both run impressive properties on Fifth Avenue. Of course his is much more impressive than mine. That's because I built mine with my own beautifully formed hands.

(LAUGHTER)

While his was built with the hands of God, and nobody can compete with God. Is that correct? Nobody. Right?

(APPLAUSE)

That's right. No contest.
http://time.com/4539981/read-the-transcript-donald-trump-speech-al-smith-dinner/

I sometimes find it humorous to go back and read some Trump transcripts.

Do they not teach the concept of "figurative language" in foreign countries.
In many languages, sarcasm and synonyms/informal articulation simply aren't there. Words mean exactly what they were intended for. There's not a lot of room for interpretation.

Are these translators complaining about not being able to translate things literally? Really bitch?!

Are these translators complaining about not being able to translate things literally? Really bitch?!
Well, in some languages, they will have to add to the translation to interpret for the audience that he literally doesn't mean China is sexually assaulting US, etc. and for most legit translators, this is not a good thing. You're supposed to just translate everything, word for word, without any kind of added interpretation so that it doesn't seem like you're swaying the conversation towards your own opinion. A translator is not supposed to have an opinion on what they're interpreting.

Well, in some languages, they will have to add to the translation to interpret for the audience that he literally doesn't mean China is sexually assaulting US, etc. and for most legit translators, this is not a good thing. You're supposed to just translate everything, word for word, without any kind of added interpretation so that it doesn't seem like you're swaying the conversation towards your own opinion. A translator is not supposed to have an opinion on what they're interpreting.
I am not a professional, but surely translators familiar with US culture know of sarcasm, hyperbole, and metaphor? I would assume this would be taken into account.

I'm sorry but this is just another ridiculous attempt to say Trump is bad mmmmkay. A good translator is trained for this exact situation. To translate properly without adding their own opinion. Any translator, assuming they are good at their job, would be able to translate Trump words.

The bitching and complaining never ends.

I'm sorry but this is just another ridiculous attempt to say Trump is bad mmmmkay. A good translator is trained for this exact situation. To translate properly without adding their own opinion. Any translator, assuming they are good at their job, would be able to translate Trump words.
Didn't say Trump is bad.

I am not a professional, but surely translators familiar with US culture know of sarcasm, hyperbole, and metaphor? I would assume this would be taken into account.
They do. But it can be really difficult to explain it through translation.

I use translators fairly often, and as a rule I try to avoid using colloquial phrases because they are not going to be understood well and, even if they are explained well, it completely breaks up the matter.

But that's besides the point. This country has one language. English. If Trump can't speak it, he should GTFO!!!1

Im no professional but the example they gave makes the translators look retarded

Back